Scamp 2021 model flat door - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-20-2020, 10:35 AM   #1
Commercial Member

Name: 27
Trailer: scamp
Illinois
Scamp 2021 model flat door

Hi everyone, finally got the money together to order my scamp today. Im so excited but it wont be ready til november. Anyway they told me I would be getting a 2021 model, I asked what changes they made and he told me the biggest new thing is a totally flat door. I should have asked more about it but it just got me wondering if this is for the better. Any thoughts?
Jets27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 11:51 AM   #2

Name: Lisa
Trailer: 1992 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
I am curious what others will think.
I can't wait to see what it will look like.

My first thought is that it will be an improvement, less warping perhaps? My 1992 door is still in good shape though, so the current door style has worked.

Looking forward to reading replies to this thread and congrats on your new purchase!
Old 05-20-2020, 11:55 AM   #3
Commercial Member

Illinois
Thank you, been planning on buying one for 6 years now. Decided its finally time. My first thought was that it would be better as well but it’s the first year and dont know if its fully tested or what. He said they seem to work very well, just curious on others thoughts. Scamp 13 by the way, but I’m sure its going to be standars on all models now.
Old 05-20-2020, 11:58 AM   #4

Name: Lisa
Trailer: 1992 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
It's really a big move on Scamp's part to make this new design. Seems like molds would have to change???

It will be easy now to determine a pre-2021 Scamp from post-2021.

I hope to see a photo soon.
Old 05-20-2020, 12:57 PM   #5

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Agree- this is a very significant change. It has the potential to be a better sealing door over the long term, and it should allow for a standard RV screen door. It will lose some of the vintage look.

I’ve seen some flat doors that are very well integrated and others that look awkward. You either have to recess the door (Lil Bigfoot & Armadillo), which limits how far it can open, or let it stand out from the curved shell (Parkliner 2.0), which creates surfaces that catch road spray. The Casita 17 is a little of both and seems to work well.

Personally, I still prefer the old curved door, ball hinges, and bread truck door handle. But I’ve never been an early adopter. Or maybe it's just a case of "love the one your with."
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 03:55 PM   #6
Commercial Member

Illinois
Im a little nervous about how the new model will look as well. The retro look is what drew me to it in the first place. Hopefully its a good change, prices will be going up again too. I got the old price but he said when they are officially announced prices are going up by a thousand dollars. Dont know if I still would order one if the price went up again.
Old 05-20-2020, 06:05 PM   #7

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
It may well be an improvement in function.
Aesthetics are always subjective...
It would prolly look something like this...
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 06:15 PM   #8

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
It would be nice though if it were a molded fiberglass door

Flat on the inside and rounded on the outside!!!
(not likely)
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 07:03 PM   #9
Commercial Member

Illinois
That would be a good idea flat on the inside but rounded outside. Im not sure I like the way the flat door looks on a rounded trailer. I’ll still love my scamp no matter what though. It’s just killing me with the wait and its only been half a day haha.
Old 05-20-2020, 08:38 PM   #10

Name: Kenneth
Trailer: Scamp
Wisconsin
Registry
Flat door

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jets27 View Post
Anyway they told me I would be getting a 2021 model, I asked what changes they made and he told me the biggest new thing is a totally flat door. Any thoughts?
I hope it will not increase the cost too much, it is the first reason to pick a Scamp. It sounds like a good Idea; I like the old door and hinges, but others had complaints and the new hinge style cracked. Maybe someone will post a picture here when the first one hits the road.
AC0GV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 09:28 PM   #11

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by AC0GV View Post
I hope it will not increase the cost too much...
$1000 (according to the OP) is a pretty steep one year increase for Scamp.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 09:48 PM   #12
Commercial Member

Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
$1000 (according to the OP) is a pretty steep one year increase for Scamp.
Yeah thats what he told me, dont know if he was just trying to get me to buy. But he said later this year when they update the catalog and price list it will be 1000 more. At that price I probably would have looked for something used. Im a little under 15k now with options I wanted.
Old 05-21-2020, 06:42 AM   #13
Commercial Member

Name: Mike
Trailer: Boler13/trillium4500/buro13
Ontario
The HC1 and HCT both and future trailers in the design chain have and always will have aircraft style doors as we feel it completes the egg style fg trailer ,all doors are over engineered for both strength and added storage .it does however add to the cost especially when you have 2 doors like the HC1 has.
Mikmay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 08:44 AM   #14

Name: Lesley
New Jersey
I just spoke to my salesman at Scamp and found out 2 things:

1. They are no longer putting the hoses on the front of the trailer, the standard going forward is to put the hose under the trailer near the outlets. They have a picture of the new holder on the parts website.

2. The flat door is not in play yet. I was told that they are not supposed to be talking about it yet because it's not a "done deal". At any rate, if they do go to the flat door, my salesman said it's very doubtful that it would be available by November, earliest might be next spring.

Lesley
shrimpscampi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 08:52 AM   #15
Commercial Member

Illinois
Interesting, I was told the 2021 model I was getting would have it. Maybe they aren’t totally clear on it yet. I’ll definitely call back and ask about it.
Old 05-21-2020, 08:55 AM   #16

Name: Lesley
New Jersey
Well, next spring is 2021 - this November is still 2020. One thing for sure is that Scamp doesn't do anything quickly! Flat door or curved, they are still awesome little trailers. Congrats on your order!
shrimpscampi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 09:51 AM   #17

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
I suppose the "flat" door is a stock item available for any sticky trailer maker.
So all scamp has to do is modify the shell molds to fit.
Wayne Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 10:14 AM   #18

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Collins View Post
I suppose the "flat" door is a stock item available for any sticky trailer maker.
So all scamp has to do is modify the shell molds to fit.

Escape changed the shape of its trailers to flatter sides, in part to accommodate the flat door. Modifying the moulds to fit isn't a cheap or easy project.
Old 05-21-2020, 10:45 AM   #19

Name: Eric
Trailer: Boler
TN
Registry
I can see why they would change because the benefit of the flat door is it will seal better. Also the Scamp door is a little flimsy. I love the look but it was the biggest disappointment for me on my Scamp. My Boler 17 has the flat door and it opens and closes nice and easy but it only swing about 100 degrees so it you can't hook it to the body and leave it open so it is out of the way. always some sort of trade off.
Eric Frye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 10:47 AM   #20

Name: Ken
Trailer: Scamp 16
Anchorage
Curved door

The issue with our 16' Scamp isn't the curve of the door, it's the irregularity in the door jamb at the seam where the top and bottom meet. I like the curved door; I don't like the rough fit of the door jamb, and I think that could be improved without going to a flat door.
Ken Morton is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp