Scamp 5th Wheel - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-02-2011, 09:22 AM   #1

Name: Becky
Trailer: Scamp 19 Foot 5th Wheel
Mississippi
Scamp 5th Wheel

I have previous posted to this site regarding our experience with our Scamps, but I wanted to give an update. First, I will summarize our Scamp experience. In Sept 2010 we purchased a 16 footer lay out 4 which we really liked, except for the fact that we need a bit more room and we prefer not having to convert the dinette to bed. We spent about 100 nights in that Scamp, including a nearly 2 month trip to Alaska where in August, we sold that Scamp and drove over to Backus and picked up our 19 foot 5th wheel. Before we sold the 16 footer, we experienced many problems with running the fridge on gas and eventually it did not even work on electric. We were able to get that repaired in Anchorage, but had a big fight getting Dometic to cover the warranty work.

We have had a few problems with the 5th wheel, but I think they are now mostly resolved. After taking possession of the 5th wheel, we decided that we wanted to stay in the Backus area for a couple of days just in case we had any problems. It is a good thing that we did that because we discovered that the step had been installed incorrectly (not enough room for my husband’s big feet) and the hot water heater was not set correctly which resulted in it burning “too hot” and smoking up the side of the Scamp. Thankfully, it was just a matter of an adjustment and the soot on the side was easily removed.

We had no other problems as we drove from MN to MS. Then, in October we took a 3 week trip to TX, NM, CO and AZ. During that time the entire electrical system stopped working and when we were connected to city water, we had water coming out the place where you can manually fill the water tank. We checked the breakers and they were not tripped: we checked the fuses and they seemed to be OK. We talked to the Scamp people and they told us that the converter had probably come unplugged. We tried every way possible and could not find any place where it even had a plug. We decided to wait until we got back to MS to get it checked out. To make a long story short, I have no idea what was wrong with the electrical system or the water system. The repair people said the breakers were off but when they reset them, things still did not work. Then, they told us that the converter was hard wired and they would have to do more work to check that out. At some point one of the repair people found that it was not hard wired and that it was unplugged. They also found a problem with the fridge. We had them check out the water system and I really do not know what, if anything, they did to that.

The service center charged us about $300 for the repairs and we are in discussion with Scamp to see if we can get that covered. We are now in the Florida Keys and we have not experienced any problems. Everything is working fine and we are quite pleased with our 19 footer.

We are towing with a 2005 Toyota Tundra V8 Super Cab and my husband says it handles much better and is easier to back up than when pulling the 16 footer. I’ll keep you posted if we have any additional issues; hopefully that will not happen.

Becky Ryder
hryder29@comcast.net
Hattiesburg, MS

beckyruns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 09:57 AM   #2

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
You don't have to wait until you have problems to keep us posted,we like good stories as well.
After you become familiar with your owners manuals, come here to ask questions or for clarifications. There are plenty here who are delighted to have the opportunity to help.
Knowledge is prevention... and you know how valuable an ounce of that stuff is!

One ounce... If you don't now have a pressure regulator for your shore water supply... get one!
Buy the brass one, the plastic ones are inferior quality.

Another ounce...check the overflow line on your fresh water tank. Is it connected, clear, and exits through the floor without crimps or obstructions,with the apex of the loop below the level of the filler neck?
Even if excessive back pressure on the pump were to cause the freshwater tank to overfill, the water should have come out of the overflow tube instead of the fresh water fill.
Glad to hear that things are settling out and I wish you the very best service from your Scamp in the future.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 10:11 AM   #3

Name: Becky
Trailer: Scamp 19 Foot 5th Wheel
Mississippi
We do have the brass regulator. On our very first night with the 16 foot Scamp, there was nice mas in a big rig next to us who gave us that advice. Regarding the overflow line, we did not check that, but we will keep that in mind. Thus far, since had the previously mentioned service done, we have had no problems.
beckyruns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 06:20 PM   #4

Name: Greg
Trailer: 72 Boler American
Indiana
I bet you're not having any problems with the Toyota.
Greg H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 07:05 PM   #5

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg H View Post
I bet you're not having any problems with the Toyota.
The TOYYODA sez..... "The dark side clouds everything... Impossible to see the future is.”
Attached Images

floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 05:20 PM   #6

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Hi: I also own a standard scamp 5th wheel 2003 vintage. I purchased it used in 06 with a 98 tacoma attached. everything has worked well ever since. I have made numerous upgrades along the way though. I replaced the scamp convertor with a casita parallax 7300, while doing so I relocated the convertor from under the oven to under the dinette. I don't know why Scamp didn't do this in the first place. I then installed a door under the oven, which is now a great place to store cereal, toaster, blender, etc. Anyway I digress. I recently received a notice from Toyota directing me to have the frame on my Tacoma inspected for rot, It failed. Toyota has since paid me nearly $12,000 for my 14 year old truck. I am a lucky guy. I have since bought a 2011 Tundra double cab with a 6.5 foot bed, 2wd posi traction. I am now in the process of mounting the 5th wheel hitch in the bed of the Tundra. I have made numerous calls to Scamp requesting mounting dimensions and cleareances. Each time I get a slightly different answer. This is what I know for sure: The height of the rails on the bed of the Tundra are 55 inches. The frame on my scamp has been raised by three 3 Inch box tubing. the distance frome the ground to the overhang on the Scamp is 57.5 inches when level. Scamp has also told me that the ball should be mounted no more than 6o inches measured diagonally from the corner of the bumper to the center of the truck bed. The people at Scamp, I think the owner, have been vague as to what is a safe geometry. I was told to mount the hitch and try it, if it was not high enough I should then replace the 14 inch tires with 15 inch ones. Needless to say, I am not happy with trying something that could potentially damage the bed of my new Tundra! When You see this message please respond. I would be happy to call you as I prefer it as a form of communication.
Thank you Laird Allen
laird allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 06:48 PM   #7

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Hey Laird! Check out these links for information regarding putting a "Scamp" hitch into a composite bed.

Scamp, S19 custom hitch - a set on Flickr
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...tml#post128442
Slide Hitch/Short Cap

I have at least three more if you need more info. Don't be too terribly concerned with titles of the links. There's good stuff to be found!

Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 07:47 PM   #8

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Laird
I don't know what the rear springs are like in your Tundra but when you load the 600 lb tounge and your other stuff, your rail heigth may drop 2-3". You might want to put some wood blocks in the truck bed and put the trailer weight on the truck before you start drilling.
Eddie
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 08:39 PM   #9

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Hi lAIRD,i HAVE A 2003 SCAMP 5TH WHEEL AND GOT A NEW 2010 TOYOTA Tacoma 4 door long bed with the composite bed.Everything went great putting in the hitch,I have pulled it about 5000 miles ,I think it the 4.3 v6 and I get about 16mpg.If I can be of help please feel free to call me 218 760 4289, Mike
Mike Collins is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp