Scamp 5th wheel - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-08-2020, 12:10 PM   #1

Name: Thomas
Trailer: Currently Shopping.
Florida
Scamp 5th wheel

I'm thinking of buying a Scamp 5th wheel. Does anyone on here know about this model? The one I have inquired about is the 19'.
gilhooley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 12:34 PM   #2

Name: Kenneth
Trailer: Scamp
Wisconsin
Registry
Scamp 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilhooley View Post
I'm thinking of buying a Scamp 5th wheel. Does anyone on here know about this model? The one I have inquired about is the 19'.
Buying new? Give Scamp a call and get the sales packet. They will not give you the "hard sell" just information that you need. https://www.scamptrailers.com/
AC0GV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 12:38 PM   #3

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
scamp 5th wheel

I like them but I don't want to climb a ladder to get into bed!

bob
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 02:02 PM   #4

Florida
Thanks for the info; I just contacted Scamp.
The hard sell is going to be convincing my wife.
Old 02-08-2020, 03:14 PM   #5

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Best have something to compare it to, like Escape 5.0 TA.
For one, the Escape is not ugly.
https://escapetrailer.com/the-5-0-escape/
Attached Thumbnails
Screen Shot 2020-02-08 at 1.15.28 PM.jpg  
Old 02-08-2020, 07:20 PM   #6

Name: Cliff
Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Connecticut
Couple of Scamp owners checked out our trailer, Escape 5.0TA, and wished they had done so before buying their scamps. One was the 5th wheel.
Cliff Hotchkiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 10:03 PM   #7

Name: Perry
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ
Lanesboro, Minnesota, between Whalan and Fountain
Very good friends of ours sold their 13' Scamp for a 19' Scamp 5th wheel without talking to us. Didn't know what to say. When we were at Lost Dutchman last winter they came over for an evening and looked at our Escape 5.0. The next day they put their Scamp up for sale and sold it in a week. The lucked out and bought a next to new Escape 5th wheel two weeks later. They loved it until......

in full disclosure, they sold their Escape and are now driving a 28' Tiffin motorhome with 960 watts of solar, numerous updates, and paid a boatload of money for, but they're happy.

Enjoy,

Perry

Previous Eggs -2018 Escape 5.0 TA, 2001 Scamp 16' Side Bath, 2007 Casita 17' Spirit basic, no bath, water or tanks, 2003 Bigfoot 25B25RQ, that we regreted selling
Perryb67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 11:47 AM   #8

Florida
Looks like the Scamp is not a true 5th wheel; which is a deal breaker for me.
Thanks for all the great info; I'm now looking for an Escape
Old 02-09-2020, 12:23 PM   #9

Name: Mike
Trailer: Scamp 5th wheel
MB
Love our 5th wheel Scamp

We have had a 2016 5th wheel for 3 summers we and we love it. We bought new because, after looking for some time, I we couldn't find a good used one. My only complaint was the lack of external storage for matts and other dirty stuff, so I added that. We had trouble with the fridge in the 1st summer which was a fault of Dometic's, not Scamp. But Dometic and the local Dometic service depot gave me the run around. I called Scamp and they looked after it. I can not say enough good things about how they looked after us. If our trailer were to get written off I would go straight to Scamp and get another one. Although there are other good FG trailers out there, their customer service was exceptional.
Mike255 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 12:39 PM   #10

Name: Kenneth
Wisconsin
Registry
not 5th wheel

Quote:
It is really just an elevated ball hitch.
AC0GV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 07:33 PM   #11

Name: nancy
Trailer: 19' Scamp Deluxe
Tennessee
Registry
We traded our 16 foot Scamp for a 19 foot--so far, so good! We don't mind the short climb to the bed, and it tows like a dream!
nancyrnfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 08:03 AM   #12

Missouri
2 models

In my research I think there are 2 models of the 19f I think the deluxe has a different setup to the bed.

We have the 13f Scamp and love it. I guess whatever floats your boat in the camping game! LOL

bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by nancyrnfit View Post
We traded our 16 foot Scamp for a 19 foot--so far, so good! We don't mind the short climb to the bed, and it tows like a dream!
Old 02-10-2020, 08:08 AM   #13

Missouri
now a minimulist

I have tented we camped all over the world with our tent by the way, had the 40f bus and now a 13f Scamp as I got older it seems our needs suddenly changed!

Not running anyone down we have just gone the kISS route in life and are having a lot of fun. Everything easy to fix and be on our way! It seems our tolerance for problem has dropped but we all have fun in our own way..

bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryb67 View Post
Very good friends of ours sold their 13' Scamp for a 19' Scamp 5th wheel without talking to us. Didn't know what to say. When we were at Lost Dutchman last winter they came over for an evening and looked at our Escape 5.0. The next day they put their Scamp up for sale and sold it in a week. The lucked out and bought a next to new Escape 5th wheel two weeks later. They loved it until......

in full disclosure, they sold their Escape and are now driving a 28' Tiffin motorhome with 960 watts of solar, numerous updates, and paid a boatload of money for, but they're happy.

Enjoy,

Perry
Old 02-10-2020, 09:50 AM   #14

Name: none
Trailer: shopping
Idaho
Scamp 5th wheel is great for mid-size pickups, but can have clearance issues for some half-ton pickups.

Escape works better for half-ton pickups and is far better insulated depending on which packages you get.
neez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 10:37 AM   #15

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Scamp 5th wheel

Quote:
Realize the current Escape 5.0TA is a significantly larger trailer and usually requires a full-size truck. The previous generation single axle 5.0 is closer to the Scamp size-wise and a better match with mid-size trucks.

Unlike Scamp, Escape has a standard longways loft bed. Scamp is designed for transverse sleeping.

If the ball hitch is the only thing that bothers you, some have converted the Scamp to a king pin. You can probably find an old thread of two on that subject.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 11:34 AM   #16

Name: David
Michigan
Registry
Quote:

I have had a scamp 5th wheel since 2003.
Have "lived" in it for up to 10 weeks at a stretch.
Have spent up to 6 weeks at a time traveling around with it.
It has traveled most of the lower 48 states behind a 2003 F150 with a small V8.
What would you like to know?

Dave D
cyberbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 12:58 PM   #17

Name: Philip
Trailer: Escape Trailer Industries 5.0TA
Missouri
Did a factory tour at both Escape and Scamp. Didn't think the two trailers even compared like looking at apples and oranges. The Escape is much wider and has much more room. The Scamp is lighter and a bit shorter. I own a 1/2 half ton PU and could pull either with no problem. We also travel as three adults.

So it came down to wanting more room inside and didn't care about the weight. I also like that the Escape is fully wrapped in fiberglass including underneath.

So I bought an Escape with no regrets. If I were to down size I would still buy an Escape.

But then I have never owned a Scamp. As an Escape owner I just would know what I'm getting into with another purchase.

Just my two cents.
skipperclyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 01:02 PM   #18

Missouri
how in cold wx

how does your camper do in cold wx? we have a 13f scamp and can heat it with our wave 3. I have heard of the 500k boys using a wave 5 in their 40f rigs?

bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberbiker View Post
I have had a scamp 5th wheel since 2003.
Have "lived" in it for up to 10 weeks at a stretch.
Have spent up to 6 weeks at a time traveling around with it.
It has traveled most of the lower 48 states behind a 2003 F150 with a small V8.
What would you like to know?

Dave D
Old 02-15-2020, 01:26 PM   #19

Name: David
Michigan
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by k0wtz View Post
how does your camper do in cold wx? we have a 13f scamp and can heat it with our wave 3. I have heard of the 500k boys using a wave 5 in their 40f rigs?

bob
Our Scamp has a propane Furnace that will heat it nicely even in 20 degree weather. Takes about 30 minutes max to heat it warm enough for shirt sleeves at that temp.
cyberbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 03:26 PM   #20

Trailer: 2007 Scamp 16 ft
Registry
Had Scamps, switched to Escape

We had a Scamp 19 standard (which has the transverse bed) and then replaced it with a Scamp Deluxe (which has the front to back bed) and then replaced it with an Escape 5.0 single axle.
Spouse is 6'2" so, while the Scamp Deluxe worked better than the Scamp Standard, there was still a height (and sleeping length) issue. We liked the Scamp Deluxe better than the Scamp Standard but we like the Escape better. No height issues and better sleeping comfort plus the full fiberglass factor and the standard 5th wheel hitch. We think it tracks better than the Scamp. It comes down to personal pro's and con's. There is also a price difference!

And now that the Escape 5.0 is tandem axle there might be a need for a different tow vehicle...it's borderline I think, depending on finish and loading.
Oh, and we thought the Scamp 5th wheel was so ugly it was cute! Reminded us of Moby Dick!

Either way, have fun!
Fran L is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp