Scamp 5th wheels - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 11-29-2017, 05:59 PM   #1

Name: Frank
Trailer: 2012 ParkLiner #006
New York
Scamp 5th wheels

Gail and I are wondering what these 5th wheels go for new. No price info on the Scamp website, at least that I can find.

We would want one with bath/shower, big fridge, A/C and heat, dual batteries, awning, stuff like that. Deluxe so to speak. Bed over cab, dinette in rear.

Any idea as to their range of price?

Thanks,

Frank
2012 ParkLiner #006
2013 4wd 4 door F150 3.5L Ecoboost with 9200# tow package
frank_a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 06:10 PM   #2

Name: Kathy
Trailer: Scamp '19
Maine
Loaded Scamp 5th wheel

Hi - We have a deposit on a 5th wheel deluxe with most options (no TV related things). The total is around $27,000.

I found the sales people at Scamp to be very helpful. With just one quick call, we got their prices and brochures with all the options for each model we were interested in.

I'm not completely sold on the 5th wheel deluxe, but my husband is, and with such a long wait before it will be built, I felt that a fully refundable $500 deposit made sense.
Kathy Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 06:14 PM   #3

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
If you follow the link in the first post in this thread, I believe there are some prices posted:
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...eup-83371.html
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 06:27 PM   #4

New York
Thank you Kathy Camper! That is just what I was looking for. I'm not much on TV either. I never watch it. Gail though, that's a different story!

Good luck!

Frank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy Camper View Post
Hi - We have a deposit on a 5th wheel deluxe with most options (no TV related things). The total is around $27,000.

I found the sales people at Scamp to be very helpful. With just one quick call, we got their prices and brochures with all the options for each model we were interested in.

I'm not completely sold on the 5th wheel deluxe, but my husband is, and with such a long wait before it will be built, I felt that a fully refundable $500 deposit made sense.
2012 ParkLiner #006
Old 11-29-2017, 06:30 PM   #5

New York
Thanks John, very helpful. Unfortunately, our internet here will not let me watch those videos. I'll check it out at work tomorrow.

We're still trying to debate which way to go for retirement.

Frank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
If you follow the link in the first post in this thread, I believe there are some prices posted:
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...eup-83371.html
2012 ParkLiner #006
Old 11-29-2017, 08:52 PM   #6

Trailer: U-Haul VT16
You might want to look at the twin axle Escape.
mszabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 09:10 PM   #7

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Keeping in mind that if you are retired and traveling, you're gonna have to look at it every day.
Attached Thumbnails
Screen Shot 2017-11-29 at 7.05.42 PM.png  
Attached Images

Old 11-30-2017, 04:37 AM   #8

New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by mszabo View Post
You might want to look at the twin axle Escape.
We have. Extensively. They're beautiful trailers and more like we would want, but may be out of our range of affordability, even with the $ exchange. Maybe we can fine a used one a year or so down the road.

Frank
2012 ParkLiner #006
Old 11-30-2017, 07:50 AM   #9

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
I also see used single axle Escapes from time to time in the mid-upper $20K range. Seems like that would be most comparable to a Scamp 19D, but with a longways bed, which I consider a big plus. Not as roomy and comfortable as the twin axle, but it has the best lines of any fifth wheel out there, in my (very personal) opinion.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 07:52 AM   #10

Name: Bill&Laura
Trailer: 1988 Bigfoot Fiver
Kentucky
Registry
fifth wheel tow vehicle

Frank,

Please excuse me if I'm wearing out a belabored point regarding tow vehicles, but watch your tow vehicle specs, especially with the Scamp.

We considered a Scamp as part of our search for a fifth wheel and found quite a few used trailers that could be remodeled. Towing a Scamp fiver with a standard pickup will require modifications to the Scamp suspension. The box height of most pickups will require an axle flip or frame lift to get the trailer high enough to prevent contact between the frame rails of the trailer and the top side of the truck box rails.

I've towed horse trailers for years and really enjoy the stability of the gooseneck/fifth wheel configuration. Happy Camping.

bill(not laura)
Old 11-30-2017, 07:59 AM   #11

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
5th wheel mod

bill one time i had a 5th wheel i bought a 5th wheel trailer for something cant recall now but the seller went up through the bed and installed a big ball he must have put a metal plate under the bed. he said he modified his 5th wheel to hook up this way also.

why couldn't a scamp 5th wheel be modified this way by extending the trailer hookup on the camper to the truck?

welders can do some amazing things! just curious.

bob
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 08:01 AM   #12

New York
That's what I love about FiberglassRV - the great advice ya get here from folks that know.

Thanks all. We're a ways away from a decision anyways, but this all helps.

Frank
2012 ParkLiner #006
Old 11-30-2017, 08:11 AM   #13

Name: Bill&Laura
Trailer: 1988 Bigfoot Fiver
Kentucky
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by k0wtz View Post
bill one time i had a 5th wheel i bought a 5th wheel trailer for something cant recall now but the seller went up through the bed and installed a big ball he must have put a metal plate under the bed. he said he modified his 5th wheel to hook up this way also.

why couldn't a scamp 5th wheel be modified this way by extending the trailer hookup on the camper to the truck?

welders can do some amazing things! just curious.

bob
Bob,

There are many creative solutions to this issue. I installed a gooseneck hitch on out Toyota Tundra so I can continue to pull our horse trailer and then added the Anderson Ultimate Fifth Wheel Connection hitch to pull our Bigfoot fifth wheel. I can pull both with the same truck and a few minutes to switch between hitch setups.

What surprised me was that many people will sell the Scamp and not tell you in advance that something needs to be done to accommodate the set up. We almost drove 200 miles to purchase a Scamp and the RV dealer that had the trailer said they would assist with any modifications that would be required. Nice of them, but neither of us understood what would have been required and it would have been a permanent alteration to my truck or their trailer.

Forewarned is forearmed.
Old 11-30-2017, 08:21 AM   #14

Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
mod

well i liked his idea no expensive rv 5th wheel attachement needed and seemed so much simplier to be able to switch back and forth easily he was a famer by the way!

bob
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 09:14 AM   #15

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Registry
I had a Scamp 19, often referred to as a 5th wheel which it is not, and I towed it with a 6-cylinder 2012 Ford F150 3.5l Ecoboost. And yes, that was overkill; the 3.5 EcoBoo0st was a rocket! My Scamp 19 was NOT modified and there was plenty of clearance between the trailer's sleeping loft and the top of the sides of the truck's cargo bed. If someone really wants a Scamp 19, an F150 would work with the only modification being the installation of a hitch, which Scamp will do when you pick up the trailer (if you don't mind the hitch being bolted through the bed of the truck rather than attached to the frame). The Scamp 19 also could be easily towed with a Nissan Frontier; Scamp at one time was delivering 19s to their customers with a Ford Ranger, and for all I know, may still be doing so.
The only issue with the dimensions of the Scamp 19 is the location of the hitch. Because the trailer has to clear the truck's bumper when swinging through turns, distance from the rear corners of the truck to the ball on the hitch is critical. My hitch was installed approximately 2-inches behind the truck's rear axle and "normal" placement of a truck bed hitch would be over or slightly in front of the truck's rear axle. The "retro" location does not, however, create a problem because the tongue weight of the Scamp 19 is well below the cargo capacity of a 1/2 ton pickup and is not heavy enough to affect the tow vehicle's handling (I guess you would call it tongue weight because it isn't really pin weight because it uses a conventional coupler and ball rather than a kingpin like a true 5th wheel). With a heavy 5th wheel, placement of the hitch behind the rear axle could lift the front wheels enough, possibly even off the ground. Obviously, this would create a dangerous situation because the truck's rear axle, with a huge amount of weight behind it, would act like the fulcrum of a lever. I see no issues of great concern here. I don't have access to Scamp's sales records, but I am sure there are hundreds of Scamp 19s out there being towed with unmodified suspensions with hitches bolted through their respective truck beds.
C&G in FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 09:28 AM   #16

Name: Robert
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Past Tents" 2018 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB SuperCrew
Arkansas
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by frank_a View Post
They're beautiful trailers and more like we would want, but may be out of our range of affordability, even with the $ exchange.
You might be surprised Frank. The base price right now comes to about $27500 USD. And since it comes with alot of things standard, you could get one with a moderate amount of options for probably under $30K. I doubt a 3 grand difference would be a dealbraker considering how much more trailer you get, but then again I've no idea of your situation.
Old 11-30-2017, 09:45 AM   #17

New York
5th wheels and double axles are the safest travel trailers for any sort of distances, at least that is what I have learned scouring the web!
2012 ParkLiner #006
Old 11-30-2017, 09:54 AM   #18

New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan View Post
You might be surprised Frank. The base price right now comes to about $27500 USD. And since it comes with alot of things standard, you could get one with a moderate amount of options for probably under $30K. I doubt a 3 grand difference would be a dealbraker considering how much more trailer you get, but then again I've no idea of your situation.
We've looked at that pretty closely, and I do not disagree with you, but it really comes down to what the exchange rate is at the time we pull any levers, which is at least a year away.

There are some other things in play with us that may help.

This would be an absolute no-brainer and cash deal if I was to sell my hot rod, but that is not attractive to me at all!

Frank
2012 ParkLiner #006
Old 11-30-2017, 10:25 AM   #19

Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Frank; have you actually been in a Scamp 19? Mary's big issue with campers is ease of making the bed. She would like easy access to both sides, but can deal with the rear bed in both our Uhaul and Casita, and the teardrop being the most difficult as it has only one door. Looks like the Scamp would be harder, appears little to no side space, and not much overhead in the bed area. We have only been in one, so can't really give a detailed opinion. And don't sell the hot rod, you'll get it done eventually (says the guy with several projects sitting in his barn, including a '64 Fairlane and Early Bronco)
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 10:37 AM   #20

New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by mary and bob View Post
Frank; have you actually been in a Scamp 19? Mary's big issue with campers is ease of making the bed. She would like easy access to both sides, but can deal with the rear bed in both our Uhaul and Casita, and the teardrop being the most difficult as it has only one door. Looks like the Scamp would be harder, appears little to no side space, and not much overhead in the bed area. We have only been in one, so can't really give a detailed opinion. And don't sell the hot rod, you'll get it done eventually (says the guy with several projects sitting in his barn, including a '64 Fairlane and Early Bronco)
Boy, good point! Bed in the Parkliner is easy to make.

Yeah, I agree. Hot rod is almost done, and much, much "prettier" than the last one. Done with cash too, so no debt. Other than the Parkliner, it's about the only other thing we have that could be sold. I figure it will be finished and on the road in a year.

Great article on the Escape 5.0TA: The Great Escape | www.trailerlife.com
2012 ParkLiner #006

Tags
scamp