Scamp bottom of trailer--should I undercoat? - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-27-2016, 07:58 AM   #41

Trailer: Y2K6 Bigfoot 25 ft (25B25RQ) & Y2K3 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampyTime View Post
All you can do is what you can do. I agree that this is true.

I just went to POR 15 website to do more reading on this product. They actually recommend a 3 step process of their products: water based degreaser, metal prep and then the POR rust reformer.

I get the degreaser part I guess (road grease) but not sure if the metal prep would be necessary on a newer trailer? Talks about etching the bare metal so the POR 15 adheres better.

Would someone who has used this 3 step process chime in for me? I just am hoping to learn as much as possible through others experiences as I have the POR 15 site I can read anytime.

Sounds like the rustproofing is something I should do before a problem arises.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Wendy

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Frankly, Wendy... if you don't yet have a rust problem yet, my advice would be to check your frame from time to time and just spray it with Rustoleum black when it needs it. You'll see the factory frame paint start to get thin... spray the welds and joints and make sure they're well covered in a thick layer of paint. If you don't have rust yet, there's not much point in letting it start just so you can use POR-15. A little preventative spraypaint goes a long ways. If you've got a little surface rust starting, hit it with a wire brush, and then spray it with the Rustoleum rust reducer, heavy rust primer, and then more black. You won't have issues if you stay on top of it... and really, checking once a season should be more than adequate.

The first time I did my VERY rusty FJ 'Cruiser frame, I did it with POR-15, but I didn't paint over it. It wore through and began rusting again in about two years... I've just kept it up with the rattle can stuff... and it's doing just fine. And it's a LOT less work to touch it up than to have to re-coat the entire frame.
Roger H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 08:53 AM   #42

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
I think that with the new frame and so so paint a coat of good single part polyurethane enamel will take care of business. Epoxies are excellent primers but will not hold gloss. We prime with epoxy and protect that with polyurethane.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Fiberglass RV mobile app
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 04:39 PM   #43

Name: Wendy Lee
Trailer: Scamp 13' Standard
New York
Registry
Thank you both. That all makes sense to me and sounds simple and practical.

After reading my questions to you all I realize I am now guilty of what is called hijacking a thread, so in gonna shut up now. But I'm ever so grateful for everyone's opinions on their experiences to help me gather it all up, process and learn.

Cheers as I drink my after work beer,
Wendy

CampyTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 08:49 PM   #44

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft
Registry
WendyLee

I am the original poster and I was the first one to tell you about POR-15. As far as Highjacking the thread.....it was all about the underside..so to me the frame still qualifies as the underside.

(2) Big Green Eggs for cooking..(1) Egg for camping
BillE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 09:41 PM   #45

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by P. Raz View Post
It's very easy to say use POR 15. On a body off frame, no problem. But how many who recommend it have actually done a frame on their backs under the trailer. After spending some time reading the can at the local auto parts store I decided against it. Paint can be removed with thinner. This stuff has to wear off. I have no desire to go through life looking like a Holstein.
You'd have to check with Larry, he's used it quite a bit on his Compact rebuilds and classic cars: http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...tml#post189472

and another post of his in the same thread, direct link: http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...tml#post187521
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 10:36 AM   #46

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Bille: You were being bullied and the monotrator should have stoped that.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 11:07 AM   #47

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
HUH???????

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darwin Maring View Post
Bille: You were being bullied and the monotrator should have stoped that.
Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 11:08 AM   #48

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
BillE, we've been wondering for a while if we should coat the bottom of our trailer with the truck bed lining. This was a very timely and appropriate topic for us; our trailer has a fiberglass bottom, however, some call it a "tub" and the plywood sits above it inside. So it probably wouldn't hurt to paint the fiberglass bottom and the rubberized coating should help at least some rocks bounce away without chipping. Right now we're patching dozens of chips and holes everywhere in the naked shell. Hope this thread has been helpful to you, all our very best on your brand new purchase...it'd be wonderful to have a brand new egg!

For YOUR situation, no, I wouldn't coat the plywood bottom. Not at this point, anyway, not with it brand new. It would be a good idea to contact the manufacturer and find out what their opinion is. They should have one!

Hope Darwin is kidding...I've seen some bullying threads, but this doesn't look like one of them. Nor did that seem like a hijacking, and your response to that was very kind and I appreciate all the good civility. If he IS kidding, then ha ha, good joke on me! I took it a bit too seriously! My bad. If he's NOT kidding, I refer him to the "sawdust toilet" thread to see some bullying in person--it's awesome! And the moderator did finally step in and call a halt...one of the most entertaining and cringe-worthy threads I've seen in six months.

Again, our very best to you and your new egg! Happy camping!
Kai in Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 01:30 PM   #49

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft
Registry
LOL...no bullying here ..I guess people don't know me...

I have to laugh...I was responding to a comment about Hi-jacking a thread...

To me ...it doesn't matter at all. I was saying I originally posted the question...someone asked about painting the frame...so I threw out use POR-15....I also said ...heck the frame is the bottom so there is no high jacking at all.

We all need to have a bit more tolerance and not take things so darn personal all of the time. I know Darral T is not bullying at all...

We are all here for the same thing...(well except maybe for that Floyd guy...you know he's from Illi-noise)

Lets all keep contributing and we will all get along fine...Spring time is coming!

(2) Big Green Eggs for cooking..(1) Egg for camping
BillE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 07:17 PM   #50

Name: Wendy Lee
Trailer: Scamp 13' Standard
New York
Registry
BillE, I so agree with you. I am more of a lurker here, preferring to only jump in when so very interested I can't help myself. I guess I just see us all as great contributors in one way or another, but indeed have seen some pretty negative energy at times and don't understand why. My fear of hijacking your thread came from reading other posts where people get angry if a sidebar or related topic develops on the thread. I was afraid you'd be mad at me, and so chose a cautionary route.

If folks could all open up their paradigm, then this forum is people talking, except with their fingers. Real conversations with real people are like that, especially when they like each other and are passionate about something. The conversation just slides like butter from one fun tangent to the next. Just like sitting across from a friend with a coffee and you just talk about one thing and then another.

That doesn't hurt my feelings! Thank you for finding my writing and questions agreeable and topic worthy, but most of all, for being OK with me if they weren't.

CampyTime is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp