Scamp Door - Flat or Curved - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-23-2020, 01:02 PM   #1

Name: Elliot
Trailer: Scamp
Minnesota
Scamp Door - Flat or Curved

I have the opportunity to specify the current curved-style Scamp door or the new proposed flat-style for the 2021 models on my order. I've read lots of the posts showing issues with the curved doors over time, but the new seal seems to have fixed a lot of that? If you could choose, which would you pick? I really do not like the 'look' of the flat doors on the Casitas, but if this is going to be an ongoing headache perhaps I should go with the new design. Thanks.
lp0530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 01:46 PM   #2

Name: Lisa
Trailer: 1992 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
Are they able to provide you a photo of the new design?
That is a difficult decision without seeing it.
Old 07-23-2020, 02:03 PM   #3

Name: Lesley
New Jersey
Interested

I'm interested in this - I wasn't aware there was going to be a choice. If you can get a picture and can post it, that would be great.
shrimpscampi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 02:43 PM   #4

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
I do t expect there will be a choice once they phase in the new design. Sounds like they want to get a few in the field to see how they do. Are you comfortable being a beta tester?

It would be a hard choice for me, too. I haven’t had any of the issues that affect the old ones. On the other hand, I’m not a fan of the black strap hinges; I think the ball hinges work better on a curved door.

Does the new door come with a regular RV screen door? Are the top corners radiused? How is the door made (frame? skin?)?

Hmmm...
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 05:01 PM   #5

Name: Elliot
Minnesota
Hi all, so after further discussion with my spouse on this topic (who spoke with the salesperson), I had misunderstood the discussion. We actually were not provided an 'option' but rather informed the 2021's will likely have the flat door but there is also uncertainty about when the transition would occur. There is also uncertainty about if this will indeed occur at all, so who really knows. I guess we will see when we pick up the trailer.
lp0530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 12:27 PM   #6

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
IMHO. the curved door keeps the traditional egg shape, and may have a lower drag ratio (wind resistance) at highway speeds (streamlining).
A flat door will create some turbulence, hence more drag.
Scamp may be buying flat doors from another supplier for less cost than making the curved doors. If they are well made, they should seal better.
Wayne Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 03:04 PM   #7

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Collins View Post
IMHO. the curved door keeps the traditional egg shape, and may have a lower drag ratio (wind resistance) at highway speeds (streamlining).
A flat door will create some turbulence, hence more drag.
Scamp may be buying flat doors from another supplier for less cost than making the curved doors. If they are well made, they should seal better.
Exactly!
While I love my curved door, I do think it will please the new buyers more, especially those who lean a little OCD.
I would sure want to see it... Maybe it would just be a new molded door?
So Far it is just speculation all around.

The curved door is iconic.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 04:57 PM   #8

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Escape went the flat door, but had to change all the moulds to do so. Trailers are now less rounded.
Old 07-28-2020, 07:17 PM   #9

Name: Tony
Ohio
Why do I feel like a sounding board for Scamp sales people. This is at least the second time the good people at Scamp half way let out their new door concept to this little forum. They should make a decision and go with it.

By the way in case they are listening, I like the curved door as long as it stays attached.
Tony D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 09:30 PM   #10
Commercial Member

Name: 27
Trailer: scamp
Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony D View Post
Why do I feel like a sounding board for Scamp sales people. This is at least the second time the good people at Scamp half way let out their new door concept to this little forum. They should make a decision and go with it.

By the way in case they are listening, I like the curved door as long as it stays attached.
I believe my post was the first on here about the flat door, Im not a sales person or in anyway affiliated with scamp. I think they plan on doing it and not all sales people are sure when its actually going to happen. On my first call I was told about the flat door and mine would have it, but when I called back the next day to ask more about it they said no flat doors and acted like they didnt know what I was talking about. Seems like they aren’t supposed to be talking about it yet but some are.
Jets27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 03:54 AM   #11

Name: Tony
Ohio
Sorry, I totally believe you. This is the second time I read about the flat door in thIs forum. The first time was the same sort of scenario, salesman mistakenly spilling the beans. They know many of us are connected and I can see were they would like to monitor reaction. I’d probably do something similar if I was contemplating such a significant change.
Tony D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 07:47 AM   #12

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Don't know why discussion about a future Scamp flat door is such a mystery. It's been discussed for quite a while on one of the Scamp Facebook groups. AND Micah Eveland and Chelsea Eveland are members of the group.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 08:07 AM   #13

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Which one is that, Donna? I left one of the groups because of a heavy-handed moderation style. Hope I didn’t miss out on good information.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 08:19 AM   #14

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Which one is that, Donna? I left one of the groups because of a heavy-handed moderation style. Hope I didn’t miss out on good information.
Scamp Travel Trailers.

I left Scamp Owners of America due to the politics of the main admin. Bad enough when it comes from members, but using a fiberglass group to push a political agenda set my hair on fire.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 08:41 AM   #15
Commercial Member

Name: 27
Trailer: scamp
Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony D View Post
Sorry, I totally believe you. This is the second time I read about the flat door in thIs forum. The first time was the same sort of scenario, salesman mistakenly spilling the beans. They know many of us are connected and I can see were they would like to monitor reaction. I’d probably do something similar if I was contemplating such a significant change.
Its all good haha, I can see how it would look that way. I dont post here much, mostly just read. Getting my new scamp finally in november after wanting on for years.
Jets27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 09:30 AM   #16

Trailer: 13 ft Boler
Registry
The curved door is iconic.[/QUOTE]

Flat doors are for flat trailers,, maybe Scamp is considefing square trailers too?
Even with all the problems around curved doors I wouldnt want one on the iconic Scamp, boler body.
Fred
Old 07-29-2020, 01:13 PM   #17

Name: Kevin
Texas
We had a Casita 17’ w/ flat door; we’ve had 2 Scamps (13, 16) w/ curved egg door. And I have repaired 2 sagging, waterlogged curved Scamp doors. I would go with the flat door if given a choice, based on convenience and functionality; but I’m a Scamp guy and prefer the curved door based on looks and being stuck in the Old-school-traditionalist’s proverbial mud. You won’t go wrong either way. Congratulations on moving forward with your new Scamp.
Doc.Kev is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp