SCAMP FACTORY FIRE - Page 5 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-19-2006, 01:52 AM   #81

Trailer: Scamp 2002 13 ft Custom Deluxe and Fiber Stream 1984 16 ft
I understand that only the sales office and a storage building remain. All of the factory, including molds, was lost. They did have insurance and will be rebuilding as soon as possible; they hope to complete work by this summer. A real loss for them, their customers and the community, but they are saying "bigger and better".

Christa
Christa L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 07:22 AM   #82

Trailer: 1981 Trillium 5500
A flat door might make it look more like a Trillium 5500.

(that is if they also made it Taller,longer , and more square on the corners)
Joe MacDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 06:34 PM   #83

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
As long as we have sidetracked to "what-if" discussion of the next-generation Scamp, here's my thoughts on the door:

I agree that the curved door is one of the "cool" features which give our trailers (including my Boler 1700) character, but in my books it is a stong contender for the biggest functional problem in the design.

I'm generally okay with the door height as long as I remember to duck in and out, but the fit is not good. A flat door would be both easier to build, brace, and check, and easier to build a correct frame for. If the flat door is essentially at the outside face of the trailer, then yes it would be shorter, or stick out at the top (and bottom) - that's why doors on these trailers, many aircraft, and some cars extend into the curved area of wall/roof transition. If a flat door were inset as far as the top of the current opening, then it could be just as tall; that's essentially where many people have mounted their flat screen doors.

An inset flat door would be inferior aerodynamically, but my personal guess is that it would not be a big deal.

Some later 17' Bolers (I think especially from the Earlton plant) had flat doors, such as one person's trailer called The Bubbler; for comparison the normal curved-door design is shown in the Boler album.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 01:10 PM   #84

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Another very recent post from YahooScampers:
Quote:
Hi Scampers,
Talked with Alan Sheley yesterday on the phone. He called to notify me
of the fire at the factory. I have 16" Scamp on order. They are going to
try to get up and running as soon as possible. They lost all their forms
in the fire. So they are going to dismantle the two bosses 16 footers to
make forms. They will begin production on the 16 foot scamps first. They
are going to buy a used 13 footer and 5th wheel to dismantle and make
forms. They are waiting for the go ahead from the insurance company to
start the cleanup which may have already started so they can get a crew
in to put up another building. Just thought I would keep you posted on
what is taking place in Backus.
here some more info:
Quote:
My husband called Scamp Thursday and was told that many parts are
still available. But....we do have to call back when the parts guy
is there.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2006, 07:40 AM   #85

A couple of pictures from the Scamp factory. One from Thursday, the other I grabbed this morning.
Attached Thumbnails
ImgLibrary_0032.jpg   ImgLibrary_0033.jpg  

Old 01-21-2006, 08:02 AM   #86

Trailer: 1986 U-Haul CT13 ft
I suspect the curved door problem is not the curve per se, but how the door is built. It is possible to build a curved door that keeps its shape.
jack maloney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2006, 10:17 AM   #87

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
I suspect the curved door problem is not the curve per se, but how the door is built. It is possible to build a curved door that keeps its shape.
It's pretty hard to have a door that's the right shape when it's molded to the wrong shape. The bottom curve of my 2006 Scamp has a larger radius than the bottom of the trailer. I doubt they'll fix it with new molds at this time.
Old 01-21-2006, 02:59 PM   #88

Trailer: 2000 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Quote:
They are going to buy a used 13 footer and 5th wheel to dismantle and make
forms.
Doesn't Scamp own a 13 foot model? When I picked my trailer up at Backus years ago, it was perched up on top of a pole!

-- Dan Meyer
Dan Meyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2006, 03:31 PM   #89

Trailer: 1986 U-Haul CT13 ft
Quote:
Doesn't Scamp own a 13 foot model? When I picked my trailer up at Backus years ago, it was perched up on top of a pole!
Hey, Dan, you wouldn't expect them to dismantle their executive suite, would you?
jack maloney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2006, 03:32 PM   #90

Quote:

-- Dan Meyer
hahaha, it's still there. Jack posted a picture the morning after the fire and there that 13 footer sits, still proudly on the pole: Jack's post
Old 01-21-2006, 03:51 PM   #91

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
I somehow doubt all the guts are in that.. tho it survived the fire, so it's awful gutsy!

They will need all the parts, and probably that one is only good for the outer shell.

+.. why take it down? It probably would cost less to by an old junker and do it from that than to take that down and get it back up!

I think they should go with a new floor plan myself.. something like a bigfoot 17
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 06:04 PM   #92

Trailer: 2003 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe / Volvo XC90
Quote:
Actually I'd be happy if they just made the mold so the curve of the door matched the curve of the trailer. The curved door would be just fine if it was the same shape. The door on my brand new 2006 trailer doesn't match the curve of the trailer. Which would indicates, at least to me, that the problem with doors is design shape and NOT the sagging over time myth. Could be fixed with a new mold.
I wonder if they put the wrong door on it? Our '03 door fits tightly although the trailer came with other defects. Poor quality control. Maybe the fried egg incident will give them the opportunity to create a better manufacturing process.
Big Eddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 09:36 PM   #93

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
I wonder if they put the wrong door on it? Our '03 door fits tightly although the trailer came with other defects. Poor quality control. Maybe the fried egg incident will give them the opportunity to create a better manufacturing process.

Could be. I'll look at some of the other doors when we're at the Northern Oregon Gathering. The part doesn't fit right the bottom curve. The trailer curves a bit more than the door right at the bottom.

You going to the Pine Mountain event this year?
Old 01-24-2006, 12:10 PM   #94

Trailer: Bigfoot Rear Queen 25 ft
I stand to be corrected here, BUT BigFoot had a major plant fire in their history too. The 19 foot and 5th Wheel molds were lost in that one and consequently new models like the 21 footer AND a new factory emerged.
Time K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 05:39 PM   #95

Trailer: 2007 17.5 ft Bigfoot (25B17.5G)
Registry
Gina,

You seem to like Bigfoots. I'm going to have to invite you to look at my Bigfoot 17'. There are two basic floorplans. Mine has the bathroom in the middle, not in the corner like the other model.
Ron N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 07:21 PM   #96

Trailer: 2017 Escape 17
Mount Horeb, Wisconsin
Fiberglass friends,
Has anyone heard of a cause for the Scamp factory fire?
Tony
Tony Nowak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006, 08:07 PM   #97

Trailer: Scamp 13 ft
Registry
If you want to follow Scamp's rebuilding process....go to their website: Scamptrailers.com
They have a link on the left side of the page regarding the rebuilding process. There are several pictures of how they are going to remake the molds for the 16'. Very interesting. May the milder winter aid in their rebuilding process.
Chris L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006, 11:01 PM   #98

Trailer: 19 ft Scamp (Egg Salad Annie)
Registry
Chris I see the date on the pictures is the 26th. Looks like they are moving ahead. There many people wishing them the very best. I know that Resin and Acetone are very flammable. I belive the fire started in the layup shop.
Taylor the Sailor
Taylor Kissinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006, 11:36 PM   #99

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
its starting to look like they will be back sooner than later way to go scamp factory workers...
Dan Quinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006, 07:14 AM   #100

Trailer:
Quote:
Fiberglass friends,
Has anyone heard of a cause for the Scamp factory fire?
Tony
I know absolutely nothing about Scamp's particular case, but fires at laminating factories tend to come from 'hot mixes' - if you put lots of catalyst into a polyester mix to get it to gel quickly (a 'hot mix'), and there is plenty left in the pot, it will get hot enough to spontaneously combust. Leave enough in a pot and even a normal catalyst ratio mix will get very hot.

They start to smell real bad and then smoke a bit, before they catch light, so if you are near a hot mix that is going to go up, you will know about it! Sensible laminating practice is to put surplus mixes outside if they are not going to be kept under observation - and exactly the same procedure should be followed at home. Another way to avoid the problem is to increase the surface area of a mix - for example, pouring it into a paint roller tray.

The fact that the Scamp fire occurred after the end of the working day, and a Friday at that, makes me wonder if someone was more interested in going home than in making a hot mix safe......

But I guess I should apologise in advance to all the people working at Scamp if the cause was external!

Andrew
Andrew Gibbens is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp