Scamp front end repair - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-22-2015, 12:44 PM   #1

Name: Mark
Trailer: Currently Shopping
Ohio
Scamp front end repair

I'm looking at Scamp 16' where the floor and front end have separated and the fiberglass is split along the tow hitch. I'm pretty handy....but is this type of repair fixable? If I had to hire out would it be crazy expensive?

Photo attached
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_6302.JPG  
biotic007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 01:14 PM   #2

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
Interesting. I would venture to say that it is absolutely fixable, and also that it would probably be crazy expensive to hire it out. Unless you "have a guy" of course. The curb side of my Scamp's shell has dropped about 3/8" to a 1/2" and somebody in the past cut some relief over the tongue on that side but it seems to have been stabilized and does not cause any problems. I would be curious to know what caused the damage to the Scamp in your picture.

Edit: I had an idea. Without even seeing it I bet the frame is cracked through at least on the street side of that trailer, can you look underneath and see?
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 01:32 PM   #3

Ohio
I havent looked at first hand yet. The owner said there was water damage to the floor and when it rotted out, let the shell drop down. I'll ask about the frame.
Old 09-22-2015, 02:06 PM   #4

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by biotic007 View Post
I havent looked at first hand yet. The owner said there was water damage to the floor and when it rotted out, let the shell drop down. I'll ask about the frame.
Ah, yes the front window has leaked in the past on mine and partially rotted the upper bunk support board and the floor below so I believe it. That seems like a lot of damage though so that was why I suspect the frame had given way also. The frame tubing is thin on the older Scamp's and rusts from the inside out from water getting in and collecting at a low point just back under the shell. I have watched my Scamp bounce and this area flex going down the road. This stress coupled with the rust weakening the tube allows it to crack. Not a big deal if you weld though. I jacked it up and "sistered" the area with a piece of angle iron. Good luck, hope you can save the old Scamp.
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 02:54 PM   #5

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
I would take a very close look at the frame in that area. Not just ask. Where the parallel tubes (front to back) are bent to make the "A" toward the hitch is the area that is vulnerable.
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 10:45 AM   #6

Name: AyoLane
Trailer: Scamp
Florida
Yes this can be fixed and even created stronger. Look into Epoxy fiber glassing using , "West Systems Brand". Its tested. you can find at ant West Marine store. It is the best of the best. I have a Sailboat I've worked a lot with this kind of repair. I would take care of the floor issue at the same time.
AyoLane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 11:00 AM   #7

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul O. View Post
I would take a very close look at the frame in that area. Not just ask. Where the parallel tubes (front to back) are bent to make the "A" toward the hitch is the area that is vulnerable.
Paul raises a good point - Looking at the picture it may not just be a rotten floor issue.

Common failure point of the frame on the Scamps is where the frame starts to go under the trailer (two frame channels welded together at that point). Also a a few feet further under the trailer where the frame takes a bends is a common point for frame failure.

If you do not already have pictures of the underside of the trailer showing the state of the frame you may want to ask for them. Then again it looks like you will need to remove the shell from the frame anyways to replace the floor and do the needed fiberglass work and repaint the trailer after fiberglass work is done, so repairing or replacing the frame may not be a big issue. Just more $$$$'s.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 12:32 PM   #8

Ohio
Thanks for all the advice regarding the frame. I'll have it checked out. I can't even imagine the expense of have the shell lifted off the frame. Yikes. I was hoping that the front end that's sagging could be jacked up, floor fixed and reattached to shell, and fiberglass repaired, and I'd be good. Think that might work?
Old 09-23-2015, 01:59 PM   #9

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Be real surprised if you could fix the floor and that extent of fiberglass damage in that location without detaching it all from the frame, even if the frame is not broken.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp