Scamp Full Size Bed = Smaller Table Size - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-01-2014, 06:42 PM   #1

Name: Tom
Trailer: Scamp 16
Michigan
Scamp Full Size Bed = Smaller Table Size

A month or two ago I read a thread that discussed the smaller dinette table size you will get when you order the wider 54" full size bed. I discussed this with David in the production side of the house at Scamp yesterday.

My intention was to order a bigger table. He explained why they do it the way they do, and it made sense to me. YMMV The standard bed is 44" wide, and the table is too. With the wider 54" bed, they shorten the table to 32" and furnish a 20" filler board to support the bed. The reason given was as follows. A 54" table would block access to the dining area. You couldn't have a 44" table and a 10" filler because the filler wouldn't stay put due to the way the benches are angled out for access, and a 10" filler board would be too weak to support the bed. It would break if someone sat or laid on it.

We plan to keep it made up as a bed anyway, but I like to keep my options open. You never know. If I find the 32" table too short, there are many good ideas for mods to fix that.

Curious to know what they do in the Deluxe models? Ours is Std. Anyone?

Tom
TomK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 06:53 PM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
I'd love to see some pictures when you get your trailer. I've heard about the optional larger bed but have yet to see what it looks like.

Actually what I'd really like is for Scamp to make the larger bed available on the 16' Standard, Layout 3. Then I might get a bad case of 3'-itis!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 07:14 PM   #3

Michigan
I'll get some pictures posted when we get back from our trip home Jon. We looked at a finished 13 with the larger bed when we visited Scamp and placed our order last January. The closet or pantry cabinet appeared to be about 8" wide. Very narrow if you're used to the normal sized one. The sink / stove counter space was next to non existent as well. That extra 10" of bed has to come from somewhere.

You do gain a little extra space under the dinette benches and under bunk storage. We got all the upper storage cabinets we could as well. The rear center one won't fit if you get the fantastic fan and roof A/C. We did. We have two small dogs that share the bed. Long story short; I was out voted. The extra 10" was so important; we were prepared to get the Deluxe. When Scamp decided to offer it in the standard model, we saved nearly $3K.

Like you and I'm sure many others, I think they should offer the 54" bed in the 16. It could be a big selling point. They say 65% of Scamps sold are 13' models. Maybe that's why they did that one first.

Tom
Old 07-01-2014, 07:36 PM   #4

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Tom, you brought up a good point for those that want big bathrooms. REALLY? Where do you think that space is coming from? I'd rather have a bigger bed or more closet space, or more kitchen counter space than a BIG bathroom. How much time do you spend in there anyway? It's NOT a ballroom where you need to share space. It's functional, you get clean and deal with bodily functions. It's not a place you should dance. You want to do that.. stay home. This is a tiny, lightweight towable YMMV.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 07:45 PM   #5

Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomK View Post
Like you and I'm sure many others, I think they should offer the 54" bed in the 16. It could be a big selling point.
I can only hope the 16'er will be next. For now, we split the kids and the beds. I share the bunks with one and my wife shares the "big" bed with the other. When they get too big for that, out they go into a tent. But if my wife and I continue to camp after the nest is empty, I'll be looking for the larger bed. My youngest is 8, so that gives Scamp about 10 years or so!
Old 07-01-2014, 07:56 PM   #6

Michigan
I agree Donna. We thought a 13' was just a little too small for a bathroom. The space is small enough, without walling off 30%. We will probably leave the bed made, and eat on the couch or outside. It looks a little roomier with that configuration to our way of thinking. I know our solution is not for everyone. It should work for us though. There are valid arguments for both sides. I respect them all.

BTW, the first time I saw "YMMV" was when you used it years ago. It took me a while to figure out what it stood for. I finally did and use it all the time. he,he.

If you get a good nights sleep and a good cup of coffee, everything else will fall in line. We did the best we could configuring the camper for us. Soon it will be time to enjoy it!

Tom
Old 07-01-2014, 07:57 PM   #7

Name: Marky
Trailer: Casita
Texas
The 54" beds is doable in the 16'. They offer it in the deluxe model. They would just have to make it like the deluxe but in fiberglass instead of wood. Maybe they want to keep the 54" bed in the deluxe because of the higher price.

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
MarkyVasquez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 09:24 PM   #8

Quote:

BTW, the first time I saw "YMMV" was when you used it years ago. It took me a while to figure out what it stood for. I finally did and use it all the time. he,he.

Tom
Yeah Tom! YMMV = Your Mileage May Vary. Which means My thoughts and Opnions may not meet YOURS.

Safe travels, always
Old 07-01-2014, 09:24 PM   #9

Arizona
Registry
I'm thinking if they are willing to engineer it into the 13' standard (least expensive unit), surely there would be no reason not to offer it in the 16' standard eventually. For reasons of weight, price, and, yes, even appearance (to me, anyway), I prefer the fiberglass interiors. But because new molds have to be produced, I'm thinking it's more work (and riskier) to make design changes. Change comes slowly in Backus… but it does come!
Old 07-01-2014, 09:29 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
..... Change come slowly in Backus… but it does come!
... and folks wonder why I'm just hours from being an Escape owner... I mean, REALLY?
Old 07-01-2014, 09:41 PM   #11

Arizona
Registry
Okay, Donna… it comes slo-o-o-o-o-wly…
Haven't been following your Escape thread recently and didn't realize it was down to hours. Getting any sleep at all?!!
Hope you enjoy your new, really big bed!!!
Old 07-02-2014, 12:02 AM   #12

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Maybe we need to concider our Scamps and Casitas as entry level moulded trailers. You get what you see and if you want something changed go elsewhere. Sad, but good for other companies willing to change things up for customers. Word of mouth from owners and prospective buyers can sure make a difference to what someone chooses look at and buy. Not saying this to start any arguments, so don't go there. I like my Casita but I can understand why long time owners are moving up to higher end trailers. Just my 2 cents worth.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 05:24 AM   #13

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Tom, you brought up a good point for those that want big bathrooms. REALLY? Where do you think that space is coming from? I'd rather have a bigger bed or more closet space, or more kitchen counter space than a BIG bathroom. How much time do you spend in there anyway? It's NOT a ballroom where you need to share space. It's functional, you get clean and deal with bodily functions. It's not a place you should dance. You want to do that.. stay home. This is a tiny, lightweight towable YMMV.
No singing and dancing in the bathroom? Seriously though, I will wipe down with a wet wash cloth before I take a shower in my Scamp. I do like having the option provided by the "full" bathroom though. My King bed at home has plum spoiled me so a large bed would be a real selling point if I am ever in the market again.
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 06:20 AM   #14

Michigan
I have always appreciated the smaller things in life. Small cars, small trucks, small dogs, small weapons, tents, you name it. I think the little Scamp 13 will fit our "small" lifestyle now. I'm not saying we'll never want a 16 or bigger; but I can't imagine that happening . If I wanted a bigger one, that's what I would have bought.

That said, I know many want or need the larger sizes. I think Scamp will eventually include the larger bed in the 16's, but I wouldn't hold my breath. They've been in business longer than most, so they must know what they are doing. Slow and steady change allowed them to weather many financial downturns in the market. If they offered whatever we wanted and doubled their sales, what would happen to them in a downturn? I'm just lucky they happen to make the trailer we want. If they didn't, the competition would have. That's a good thing. If bigger and fancier fits you; other choices are out there.

I wonder if anyone at Eveland's ever looks at this forum? Somehow I don't think so. I will be sure and tell them loud and clear about all the inquiries for wider beds in the other models, when we pick our's up next month.

Tom
Old 07-02-2014, 07:15 AM   #15

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
Quote:
They've been in business longer than most, so they must know what they are doing.

I agree in principle, but it wouldn't seem like offering LED lights would be a real stretch or business-busting territory to explore. This ain't exactly "New Coke" or Ford moving the horn button to the end of the turn signal stuff. Just moving from the 1970's to 2014. (My apologies to Scamp if they now offer LED lighting.)
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 08:06 AM   #16

Michigan
I asked about L.E.D.'s and was told they still don't offer them. I asked why and they didn't have an explanation. :shy

I agree with your post. Sometimes their decisions make no sense at all to us customers. I can think of no possible reason in the world for not offering L.E.D.'s. Sometimes they have a good explanation as in the shorter table reason given, but we'd like to know.

One of life's mysteries...

Tom
Old 07-02-2014, 08:17 AM   #17

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timber Wolf View Post
I agree in principle, but it wouldn't seem like offering LED lights would be a real stretch or business-busting territory to explore. This ain't exactly "New Coke" or Ford moving the horn button to the end of the turn signal stuff. Just moving from the 1970's to 2014. (My apologies to Scamp if they now offer LED lighting.)
I find most LED lighting to be annoying to the eye, but let's face it...
Switching to LED aftermarket is not exactly rocket science, and with a little shopping acumen, may actually prove cheaper.
I suggest installing LEDs only in heavy use fixtures where the energy savings can be realized and the quality of the light can be tolerated.

Question:
How many Scampers does it take to install a lightbulb?

Answer:
One to do the actual install, and ten to extoll the merits of OEM installation!
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 08:35 AM   #18

Registry
Quote:
I'll get some pictures posted when we get back from our trip home Jon. We looked at a finished 13 with the larger bed when we visited Scamp and placed our order last January. The closet or pantry cabinet appeared to be about 8" wide. Very narrow if you're used to the normal sized one. The sink / stove counter space was next to non existent as well. That extra 10" of bed has to come from somewhere.

You do gain a little extra space under the dinette benches and under bunk storage. We got all the upper storage cabinets we could as well. The rear center one won't fit if you get the fantastic fan and roof A/C. We did. We have two small dogs that share the bed. Long story short; I was out voted. The extra 10" was so important; we were prepared to get the Deluxe. When Scamp decided to offer it in the standard model, we saved nearly $3K.

Like you and I'm sure many others, I think they should offer the 54" bed in the 16. It could be a big selling point. They say 65% of Scamps sold are 13' models. Maybe that's why they did that one first.

Tom
I have the rear center cabinet in my 13deluxe front bath with A/C , Fantastic Fan, and factory antenna. there is plenty of room to spare.
The "pantry cabinet" on ours is actually 15" wide.(might be 14" on the fiberglass version).
I just priced one recently, and when comparably equipped, the Deluxe option shrank to under $1500 due to the package content of the Deluxe.
Fortunately, Scamp offers both and both are excellent values when compared to their competition.
Old 07-02-2014, 08:58 AM   #19

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borrego Dave View Post
Maybe we need to concider our Scamps and Casitas as entry level moulded trailers. You get what you see and if you want something changed go elsewhere. Sad, but good for other companies willing to change things up for customers. Word of mouth from owners and prospective buyers can sure make a difference to what someone chooses look at and buy. Not saying this to start any arguments, so don't go there. I like my Casita but I can understand why long time owners are moving up to higher end trailers. Just my 2 cents worth.
While both good products...Scamp and Casita are somewhat different business models. Options and customization on the Scamp are about as broad as any fiberglass trailer in the industry.
Scamp does offer "entry level" trailers, but they also offer fully optioned Custom Deluxe models as opulent and varied as any.
When it comes to 13' compact fiberglass trailers, Scamp has no peer.

Escape is pretty much "sizing" itself into an altogether different demographic market.
For me it's...(no 13 footer, no RV trailer) thus no competition.
Choice is a good thing though, as is competition.
I hope they all flourish in a robust economy!

Every company balks in some odd way which is not really noticed until it affects your choices. On my last new car, I was refused leather seating because I ordered a manual transmission.
Old 07-02-2014, 10:18 AM   #20

Trailer: 2008 20 ft Flagstaff Pop-Up (206ST) / 2005 Sienna
I too have the rear center cabinet in my 13 Deluxe front bunks with A/C and Fantastic Fan so it can be done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
I have the rear center cabinet in my 13deluxe front bath with A/C , Fantastic Fan, and factory antenna. there is plenty of room to spare.
The "pantry cabinet" on ours is actually 15" wide.(might be 14" on the fiberglass version).
I just priced one recently, and when comparably equipped, the Deluxe option shrank to under $1500 due to the package content of the Deluxe.
Fortunately, Scamp offers both and both are excellent values when compared to their competition.

Tags
scamp