Scamp ground clearance? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-23-2017, 11:23 AM   #21

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
My two cents worth... We have a 2011 13' Scamp which we take mostly on paved or compacted dirt or gravel roads. We, unintentionally, had to take what looked like an OK paved road (on the map) in Washington state which turned out to be riddled with largely "invisible to the eye" potholes. The road was in and out of sunlight which made visibility poor. There was no turning back once we started on the road. We drove cautiously and relatively slowly.

Upon inspection the outside seemed to be OK but we found that the door to our cooler had broken fiberglass at the hinges. In addition, the cutlery drawer front fell off. We found a long screw on the floor and never found out where it belonged originally. As you might imagine, bungy cords did NOT do an adequate job of keeping cabinets closed in this situation and stuff was strewn everywhere.

Scamps, in my mind, are of "middle of the road" (pardon the pun) construction. They are not made to take rough abuse. Personally, as much as I love our Scamp, I would choose a rugged trailer made for off-road use, in your case, rather than trying to modify a Scamp.
Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 02:01 PM   #22

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
I have taken my 13 Scamp on un-maintained forest service roads just short of needing 4wd to traverse safely. The Scamp is not made for this type of travel There is not enough lateral strength in design and the trailer racks badly. The press board cabinet doors will pull from their hinge screws. The base cabinet mounting screws will pull out of their press wood floors. It also gets racked badly in the closet rivets and cabinet rivets since their mounted through to the walls with the bubble insulation and what we call rat fur between the fiberglass structures. You will have to bungee all the cabinet doors closed as stuff inside the cabinets pushes out and opens the doors. once the doors start swinging their done for.

I'm not saying you cant do it but there is a price to pay for doing so. If you know what your doing where your going and travel so slow the snails honk at you to get out of the way you can get there. It is prudent that after any excursions like that you get under your trailer and check the frame welds and high stress areas very carefully. The Scamps frame is very light weight construction and some have suffered fatigue failure.

Just watch out poorly maintained rods usually come to dead ends and turning around a trailer could be very trying especially when its off grade and you cant unhitch the trailer.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp