scamp motorhome? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-19-2013, 04:25 PM   #1

Name: Cricket
Trailer: 2005 Scamp 13'
Minnesota
scamp motorhome?

Anyone seen one of these before? Owner says it is super rare.....

Click image for larger version

Name:	cl--180622682.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	123.8 KB
ID:	63502
Cricket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 04:50 PM   #2

Trailer: Boler 1971
Yes, they are as rare as hens teeth. Scamp only made them for a couple of years. Do to the "gas shortage" in the mid '70s, they simply could not depend on GM or Ford to supply them with enough chassis to continue the line. Gm/Ford were selling so many S10's and Couriers, that availabily to Scamp was questionable. So they had discontinued the motorhome.
Jerry71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 04:52 PM   #3
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
I think that one was listed here for sale back in June.
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...0-a-59233.html

I'm not sure why, but they only made a few. Good stuff, Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 04:57 PM   #4

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Scamp Motor Home Message 12 has the same picture.
Old 08-19-2013, 05:04 PM   #5

Minnesota
Well now...if it has been for sale before and no one bought it.....hmmmmmm. might get a good deal?
Old 08-19-2013, 06:00 PM   #6

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2013 Lil Snoozy #161 (SOLD)/2010 Tacoma
NE Oklahoma
I could see that pulling my Snoozy........LOL
carlkeigley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 06:02 PM   #7

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
From the ad thread which others have linked:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas G. View Post
This is really cool. Given how little the Ranger changed over its lifespan, you could probably move the Scamp part onto a last run Ranger.
There were actually lots of detail changes, such as a succession of engines, cab tweaks, and eventually a new front frame structure and suspension (probably due to the Explorer which shared the chassis back then)... but there hasn't been anything significant for a decade. And Tom's probably right - the rear end might be so similar that a newer Ranger would just bolt up under it.

My guess is that there is so little specific to the Ranger that another mini pickup could be swapped under the Scamp if required. As others have mentioned, various cab/chassis suppliers were used for this type of motorhome.

I wonder if the Scamp motorhome suffered from the same problems as other mini-Class C designs, which overloaded their truck chassis? I see that this one has a short wheelbase; it would be better with a longer wheelbase. First generation Rangers came longer, but perhaps not by the time these were made and perhaps Ford wasn't selling long wheelbase standard cab chassis-cabs (a Super Cab long box chassis with a standard cab and without the box). It also had dual rear wheels - my guess is that like the Toyotas this is a modification by the motorhome builder which was not unauthorized by Ford.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 06:49 PM   #8

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
If I could find one in really good shape (the fiberglass body and interior) and a reasonable price on the WEST coast... it would be under my carport. I don't care about the motor and drivetrain....

BUT, all the small mohos of this era were sadly underpowered. Trying to save money, because of the gas prices and shortages (at the time). Fuel is more expensive now, but there is no shortage...

From everything we've been able to find out, there were less than 15 Scamp mohos made, total.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 07:13 PM   #9
Raz

I recall both Dodge and Ford trucks being mentioned. I don't think GM or Toyota were talked about. I'd love to know more. Raz
Old 08-19-2013, 08:28 PM   #10

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
From the ad thread which others have linked:

There were actually lots of detail changes, such as a succession of engines, cab tweaks, and eventually a new front frame structure and suspension (probably due to the Explorer which shared the chassis back then)... but there hasn't been anything significant for a decade. And Tom's probably right - the rear end might be so similar that a newer Ranger would just bolt up under it.

My guess is that there is so little specific to the Ranger that another mini pickup could be swapped under the Scamp if required. As others have mentioned, various cab/chassis suppliers were used for this type of motorhome.

I wonder if the Scamp motorhome suffered from the same problems as other mini-Class C designs, which overloaded their truck chassis? I see that this one has a short wheelbase; it would be better with a longer wheelbase. First generation Rangers came longer, but perhaps not by the time these were made and perhaps Ford wasn't selling long wheelbase standard cab chassis-cabs (a Super Cab long box chassis with a standard cab and without the box). It also had dual rear wheels - my guess is that like the Toyotas this is a modification by the motorhome builder which was not unauthorized by Ford.
you are right about the axle, i would simply switch to a 9" Ford with a wide single truck tire. Scamp made around 10-12 motor homes, only a couple of Dodges. It was just a passing fancy.
I believe they also made a few utility cargo trailers using the bottom half of a 13 with a fiberglass lid.I had picture of one but I can't find it.
One of the Dodges showed up for sale in MN about two years ago and again in MI about a year ago. There were pictures on Craigslist.
Here is a photo of the Ranger based Scamp motor home which I drove, which was for sale a few years ago in WI....
Attached Images

floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 08:32 PM   #11

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Don't even think about towing anything. I believe it's already at or over mfg's GVW. When Gardner-Pacific built 10 similar sized molded fiberglass motorhomes (Sunrader) on S-10 chassis all 10 were recalled due to chassis overload and, as there was no fix for the problem, they were ordered taken off the road.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 09:13 PM   #12

Name: Paul
Trailer: '07 Scamp 16' SD
Wisconsin
You'd have better luck finding a chinook, or a rialta. Both excellent rvs with fiberglass hulls
glennco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 09:18 PM   #13

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
While the Rialta look good and is the right size, I would do a lot of reading on the Rialta owners web sites before even thinking about buying one.

IN the past they have had, and may still have, driveline parts support problems. It may say VW on the front, but I understand that VW dealers don't carry parts for that chassis.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 03:39 AM   #14
Raz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
While the Rialta look good and is the right size, I would do a lot of reading on the Rialta owners web sites before even thinking about buying one.

IN the past they have had, and may still have, driveline parts support problems. It may say VW on the front, but I understand that VW dealers don't carry parts for that chassis.
Lots of issues. I think there was a law suit. As I recall VW refused warranty. Raz
Old 08-20-2013, 06:06 AM   #15

Name: Miranda
Trailer: None
South Dakota
Scamp Motorhome

Hey Everyone,

So would it be sacrilege to show up at an Egg get together with such a rare Scamp motorhome only to find it is not original and has been updated in drivetrain and the interior?

This thread has piqued my interest and have e-mailed Richard from the June ad but I realize that most likely it is sold.

My main goal would still be to get a nice egg travel trailer but this might be a fun long term project. I'd need to see if I could put one or two road bicycles in it while traveling if I were to travel to races.

Can the chassis be upgraded for a slight gain in safety, handling and capacity with updated Ford parts without a huge investment or re-engineering it?

2.8 v6 I wonder what the power to weight ratio is like for that truck. I would imagine it would be underpowered which would limit me to regional use here on the flat prairie but would it possible to upgrade to the 4.0 v6?

Hmmm! This might be a serious Minnesota made vehicle. lol Camper made in Backous and the Ranger made at the historic Highland Park Plant in St. Paul which recently closed. Luckily it probably wasn't driven in Minnesota winters though or there would be nothing left of the ranger due to rust.
Dakota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 06:15 AM   #16

Minnesota
It is for sale again in MN....that's why I was asking....my intent is to purchase it.
Old 08-20-2013, 06:53 AM   #17

South Dakota
That's awesome! Cottage Grove Mn I see.
Old 08-20-2013, 07:30 AM   #18

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Escape 19 and Escape 15B
Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota View Post
...So would it be sacrilege to show up at an Egg get together with such a rare Scamp motorhome only to find it is not original and has been updated in drivetrain and the interior? ...
Not at all, it is probable that 90% or more of fiberglass eggs at a get together are not original.

"You've got to be very careful if you don't know where you are going, because you might not get there." - Yogi Berra
Ice-breaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 08:09 AM   #19

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice-breaker View Post
Not at all, it is probable that 90% or more of fiberglass eggs at a get together are not original.
Right - a camper is more like a house than a classic car. It is all about functionality, not originality.
Old 08-20-2013, 08:14 AM   #20

South Dakota
yeah that's my feeling on it being a focus towards functionality .