Scamp questions - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-02-2017, 05:09 PM   #1

Name: Jean
Trailer: Currently Shopping
Texas
Scamp questions

I'm very new to these forums. Which forum is the best place for me to solicit information about people's experiences with the Scamp 13? Thanks for the pointers.
jsuplick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 05:14 PM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Welcome to the forum, Jean!

Here is fine for your question. We've owned our 13' Scamp standard front bunk model for four years and love it. What do you want to know?
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 06:02 PM   #3

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Here is fine. We've owned our 13' Scamp standard front bunk model for four years and love it. What do you want to know?
Thanks, Jon. I've just started doing my research, and some other kind folks on this site have educated me about the importance of various features available in FB trailers. On my day off today, with hubby at work, I indulged in research binge, spreadsheet and all.

I just bought a new vehicle (Ford Escape Titanium with 3500 tow capacity). It was a good choice for us for a number of reasons, but we hadn't considered buying a trailer at the time. I really want to keep this vehicle. Given that, I'm pretty sure I need to stick with a 13' trailer.
  1. Have you weighed your Scamp packed and loaded?
  2. How tight is the shower in terms of real-world usage? We're not kids (not under 55 , and hubby is 6').
  3. How many outlets, and what voltage, are inside? (It's not clear from the Scamp website.)
  4. Any details about the battery pack? (Unclear from website.)
  5. Did you make any after-market swaps or changes?
  6. Anyone go solar? How'd that go?
  7. What's the backlog from order to delivery?

Not having had a trailer before, I'm just generally curious about how well the tank sizes, appliances and battery would meet the needs of a resource-conscious couple on a 5 day trip off-grid.

Thanks in advance.
Old 01-02-2017, 06:10 PM   #4

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
I tow an Escape 17B with a RAV4 V6 which has 3,500 lb tow / 350 lb tongue, so I think you could look beyond 13' Scamp, if you choose.
Old 01-02-2017, 06:36 PM   #5

Arizona
Registry
Scamp questions

Jean, our Scamp is a very basic 13'er- no bathroom, no fridge or AC (icebox only), but we do have the furnace. We camp without hookups, short trips (up to 5 days), and do all our cooking and eating outside. We don't use the inside plumbing, either. It's more like camping than RVing, really.

It sounds like you be using yours quite differently. The front bath replaces the couch/bunk in front, so there is no place to sit or eat when the bed is made up. You'll need to consider whether converting the dinette every day works for you.

There is only one 120V electric outlet inside and none outside. There are no 12V outlets. Scamp will add them as options. The battery pack is a small group 24 battery, but I think you can upgrade to a larger group 27 if you want. The smaller powers our lights and limited furnace use for 4-5 days no problem. Depending on where you camp, a powered roof vent may be sufficient in lieu of AC when off grid.

The fridge and HW heater run on propane when not plugged in. For a week or less, I'd expect one LP tank to be enough, but you can have two if you want.

The standard 12 gallon fresh water tank is limited for a 5-day off-grid trip. You may have to carry a couple of extra 5 gallon containers.

On the 13' standard, you have the option of a larger bed (54"x75") with a smaller galley and closet or the standard bed (45"x75") with a larger galley and closet.

I agree with Glenn, though, that you might consider a larger 16' size. At around 2600 pounds loaded it seems possible with your Escape. A 13' Scamp with the bathroom will probably weigh around 1900 pounds loaded. The 16'er gives you the option of a larger fridge- the 1.9 cf fridge in the 13'ers is really tiny- and a separate dinette. Unfortunately, the larger bed is not an option on the 16'er, unless you opt for the deluxe (wood interior) version.
Old 01-02-2017, 07:20 PM   #6

Name: Ken
Trailer: 2015 Scamp 16' deluxe 2008 FJ Cruiser
Pennsylvania
When you order a Scamp ask lots of questions. Many of the options are not listed anywhere. We had a 2nd water tank added 12 gallon does not go far. We always use the shower. I am 5'10" My wife more than me. Just because I let her have more water and I don't really mind the campground showers. We had plugs added both 12v and110v. Also an extra set of tail lights our first Scamp was rear ended.
Ken in Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 07:35 PM   #7

Texas
Thanks, Jon & Ken. I like the idea of an additional water tank. Don't mind a sponge bath, but can't stand my hair 3-days dirty.

I'd certainly prefer a 16' trailer, partly because larger fridges are an option. Are others towing with a vehicle like mine (3500 lb, 350 tongue weight)? I don't want to be unsafe (especially for other people's sake), but I'm a practical person at heart.

It'd be nice if Scamp added the large bed without having to have the extra weight of wood cabinets. Bummer.
Old 01-02-2017, 09:44 PM   #8

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsuplick View Post
Thanks, Jon. I've just started doing my research, and some other kind folks on this site have educated me about the importance of various features available in FB trailers. On my day off today, with hubby at work, I indulged in research binge, spreadsheet and all.

I just bought a new vehicle (Ford Escape Titanium with 3500 tow capacity). It was a good choice for us for a number of reasons, but we hadn't considered buying a trailer at the time. I really want to keep this vehicle. Given that, I'm pretty sure I need to stick with a 13' trailer.
  2. How tight is the shower in terms of real-world usage? We're not kids (not under 55 , and hubby is 6').
  3. How many outlets, and what voltage, are inside? (It's not clear from the Scamp website.)
  4. Any details about the battery pack? (Unclear from website.)
  5. Did you make any after-market swaps or changes?
  6. Anyone go solar? How'd that go?
  7. What's the backlog from order to delivery?

Not having had a trailer before, I'm just generally curious about how well the tank sizes, appliances and battery would meet the needs of a resource-conscious couple on a 5 day trip off-grid.

Thanks in advance.
I have a (prefire) Scamp 13D
1] Yes, with every option available except a second propane tank.
It weighed 1950 pounds loaded for an extended trip.

2]I'm 65 next month and 6' tall (prefire 13 is 3" shorter) Iuse the shower almost every day when traveling and have found it commodious enough and easy to maintain.

3] You only get one inside exposed outlet, and a couple of lights,but additional outlets (12V and 110V) as well as additional lights are available as options at very reasonable cost. Placed where you want them.

4] Call and talk to a salesman (I prefer Wayne Pitlick).
Package will include a 24 sized battery and a Converter with shore power.

5] I have made many aftermarket mods to personalize our Scamp, most people do. While the trailer is quite comfortable stock, personal touches will make it your own.

6] We have never needed solar, but we are seldom off the grid for more than 5 or 6 days at a time and we charge the battery from both shore power and from the tow vehicle while underway.

7] Order time will vary depending on production schedule and trim level. For current time call and ask Wayne.(800) 346-4962

My wife and I have often used our Scamp for 4 or 5 days without hookups.
I like your term "resource conscious". We still stay comfortable, clean, fed and entertained.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 11:07 PM   #9

Name: Ann
Trailer: 2016 Scamp 13'
Washington
Backlog

7. Today there was a post on the Scamp Travel Trailer Facebook page that current orders are scheduled for delivery in August.

The factory is very accommodating for adding outlets, lights, upgrading to a Group 29 battery, and I think we all tend to make our own mods.
Triker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 07:06 AM   #10

Arizona
Registry
When you talk to Scamp, ask about their referral program. They will try to set you up with a nearby owner for a demo. I'd ask to see both a 13' and a 16' with bathrooms. That would be the best way to decide. The owner receives a small stipend if you buy, so it's a win-win-win.

BTW, if you do opt for a second water tank, be cautious about towing with both tanks full. That much weight near the back can make the trailer tend to sway at highway speeds. Best to travel with only a little water and fill up as near your destination as possible. Personally I think you'd be okay with one for 4-5 days. You give up a fair bit of storage for the second tank. I like the idea of a separate Igloo-type cooler for drinking water outside- in our case it keeps the kids from going in and out of the trailer all day long.
Old 01-03-2017, 08:08 AM   #11

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
When you talk to Scamp, ask about their referral program. They will try to set you up with a nearby owner for a demo. I'd ask to see both a 13' and a 16' with bathrooms. That would be the best way to decide. The owner receives a small stipend if you buy, so it's a win-win-win.

BTW, if you do opt for a second water tank, be cautious about towing with both tanks full. That much weight near the back can make the trailer tend to sway at highway speeds. Best to travel with only a little water and fill up as near your destination as possible. Personally I think you'd be okay with one for 4-5 days. You give up a fair bit of storage for the second tank. I like the idea of a separate Igloo-type cooler for drinking water outside- in our case it keeps the kids from going in and out of the trailer all day long.
Great tips, Jon. It's the little things like this that are helping frame up trailer life in my mind. Thanks.
Old 01-03-2017, 08:18 AM   #12

Name: David
Trailer: 2014 13' Scamp -standard w/ front bunk
Vermont
Quote:

It'd be nice if Scamp added the large bed without having to have the extra weight of wood cabinets. Bummer.
Jean,
Scamp will install the wider bed on a standard model (at least they would as of two years ago when we purchased our 13'.) However, after considering the lost closet space and diminished kitchen unit, we elected to go with the standard bed and have been happy with that decision.

As has been mentioned, talk to the salesperson. They seem very flexible and lots of options possible that aren't indicated on the website or literature.

Good luck. Whatever version you order I know you will be delighted with it.
WDavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 10:20 AM   #13

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by WDavidG View Post
Jean,
As has been mentioned, talk to the salesperson. They seem very flexible and lots of options possible that aren't indicated on the website or literature.
Thanks, David. Yes, I connected with Wayne Pitlick at Scamp late yesterday, and he's been helpful. There's so much darned research to do! But, it's all fun.
Old 01-03-2017, 10:35 AM   #14

Arizona
Registry
Scamp questions

Quote:
...There's so much darned research to do! But, it's all fun.
Plenty of help available here, though not always in full agreement!

Once you decide on the basic model, go ahead and put in your order to secure a place in line. Scamp's deposit, change, and cancellation policy is extremely generous. You can make changes to the options list right up until they start your build. You can even cancel your order without penalty if the perfect used trailer happens to fall from the sky.

Most of all, enjoy the journey toward trailer ownership!
Old 01-03-2017, 11:29 AM   #15

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Great advice here Jean, but the following is sorta sad but true...you REALLY wont know what you want until you get your Scamp and hit the road! (Ask me how I know!)
Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 11:42 AM   #16

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:

[
  2. Anyone go solar? How'd that go?

Welcome. Re question #1 have you viewed the thread Trailer Weights in the Real World yet? Its a very good resource. Most of the trailers on the first list were weighed at a couple of different Fibreglass trailer meet ups and as such the majority of trailers were loaded up for camping.

You should have no issues pulling a 13' Scamp with a vehicle with a 3500lb tow rating. You would also have no issues pulling a 16' Scamp with it either. There are also a number of folks here who have/do tow 17' Escapes with Ford Escapes that are properly equipped as well. Regardless of the trailer you are going to want to make sure it has brakes and that you have a good brake controller.

Re Solar question. Lots of folks including myself have added solar to their trailers and have found it works well. Some folks go for very elaborate systems with lots of wattage while others such as myself got by with very simple fairly small wattage panels for many days of off the grid camping. What you need depends greatly on your style of camping and where and when you camp & what appliances you believe you need to be able to run. There are lots of threads on the topic. Many Many hours of reading here on the topic. if you use the "Search" function in the top row use the bottom box "google" for the best results. On of the big keys to success with solar is understanding the trailers 12v system & the does and do nots regarding your batteries. There is a website that will give you the basics. The 12 Volt Side of Life. Its been around for a LONG time but the basic info given is still very applicable.

Have fun shopping for a trailer.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 11:43 AM   #17

Name: Mike
Trailer: Escape 21 & Jeep GC 5.7 (Previous 2012 Casita FD17 & 2010 Audi Q5)
Puget Sound, WA
Registry
Quote:
Great tips, Jon. It's the little things like this that are helping frame up trailer life in my mind. Thanks.
Jean,

Another option you have there in Texas is to rent a Casita. There is a 2011 17′ Casita Spirit Deluxe listed as available in Lewisville at Campers4Rent.com. If you want to rent and tow, you would need to get a hitch and brake controller installed on the Escape in advance.

Regarding trailer brands, in some cases there are significant differences in the models offered that can make a certain model (from a particular brand) better-suited for an intended application. As an example, we were attracted to the captain's chairs in Casita's Freedom Deluxe. However, this is not a particularly popular model for Casita, and I don't think that Escape or Scamp even offer anything like it. So, this arrangement clearly doesn't work for everyone.

We bought our trailer used, sight unseen, and had it delivered some 400 miles as we did not have a suitable tow vehicle. My wife's first reaction was that it was much smaller than the seller's pictures made it appear. I expect that's not an uncommon reaction. In the event, she has taken to it, particularly as we have better learned how to share the space comfortably on each trip we've taken.

We invested in an aftermarket 8-inch thick custom mattress to replace our rear dinette cushions. We consequently can't set up the rear dinette table, so rely on the captain's chairs with a small table for seating in our trailer. We had previously used a 3-inch self-inflating pad arrangement under the dinette cushions with a thick cotton sleeping bag "topper" to augment the original cushions, so we've actually never used the rear dinette.

I don't know how many folks buy a mattress to replace the dinette cushions or add a mattress topper. I think it would be interesting if people posting here commented on this aspect of their trailers.

Civilguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 11:51 AM   #18

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darral T. View Post
Great advice here Jean, but the following is sorta sad but true...you REALLY wont know what you want until you get your Scamp and hit the road! (Ask me how I know!)
VERY true! But to avoid a real big buying mistake many folks do not need to go as far as buying a particular trailer and camping in it. For many all it takes is to go and sit in the trailer for a few minutes to discover if it is or is not the trailer of their dreams. I know when I was shopping for my Scamp I went and sat both a 13' and a 16' and I looked at a few other brands of trailers that were within my budget at the time. After sitting in them for a few minutes I was very sure I would not be a happy camper in many of them.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 03:00 PM   #19

Trailer: 2002 16 ft Scamp
Hi Jean, welcome to the group. As Jon said, "Plenty of help here but not always in agreement." One thing you'll need to keep in mind is, although most here are 'eggers', we may have significantly different camping styles and what works for some is unimportant or even a negative for others.

Cindy and I camp year round and prefer public lands, usually without hookups but w/restrooms or at least port-a-johns and a water source. We're on our second Scamp, a front bath D19. The first was a side bath 16' std. acquired in 03 but lost to Hurricane Irene in 11. Both campers were pretty much fully loaded and we used every option except the microwave and possibly the A/C enough to justify them (I'd still opt for both to enhance resale value). I'm taller (and likely heavier) than your husband and the bathroom is 'adequate'. The front bath offers more headroom than the side bath model, at least in the 19', which makes showering much more pleasant.

Useful (to us) things we've added include:

1) A quality mattress. We still backpack and I our old 2" Thermarest's are better than the Scamp cushions. Our's came from Southern Mattress just a few miles from home here in NC. We left the 16' in 'bed mode' at all times. In the 19' we've added a removable custom made chest of drawers between the two bench seats at the rear for additional storage.

2) Two 6V golf cart style batteries wired in series lets us go a week without recharging unless the heater or fan is needed. My Tacoma has a built-in 400W inverter which I use with my charger from home to keep the batteries topped off (much more efficient than the Scamp's converter charging feature) so we can extend this much longer if desired. You'll need to rig your own mounting system for this as its not a Scamp option.

3) Replaced all bulbs with LED's for a softer and brighter light with much less voltage drain.

4) MaxxFan over the berth eliminates the need for A/C most of the time. I like it better than the Fantastic Fan that Scamp offers (don't know if they'll let you switch or not).

5) Neither of our's had it but I'd opt for the 3" lift in order to more easily install larger tires. I'm not sure what Scamp offers now but would try to get them to install 225x15's or at least let you bring your own and have them credit you for the stock ones. Tires are a big subject of discussion here so get your camper soon so you can join in the fun.

6) We replaced the stock carpet with Allure vinyl tile from Home Depot and like it much better.

7) Get all the interior lights and storage cabinets offered.

8) Added an exterior access hatch to the storage under the rear curbside seat.

9) We spend little time in the camper and have a Paha Que screen room for outside activities. The Scamp awning works well but the screen room is better if if it's cold, rainy, buggy or you just want something to make your gear a little less visible when away from camp.

10) We carry empty 5 gallon and 3 gallon bulk Primo water containers and use them to fill the freshwater tank when we arrive at the campground, then refill them for cooking and drinking while the Scamp's water is for the john and washing dishes.

Looking at the current Scamp option list, things we'd never use - cable hookup, power range hood, oven, gas & electric hot water heater (gas only is sufficient for us), extra fresh water tank (rather have the storage), propane gauge (carry two tanks and replace the empty at the first opportunity), phone jack. 12V plug, exterior GFI 120V plug. Keep in mind, this is just us - we're old, opinionated and set in our ways.

This is a picture taken in the Smokemont CG of Great Smoky Mtn NP that shows some of the additions/mods referenced above
Al and Cindy K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 03:51 PM   #20

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darral T. View Post
We owned and restored a couple of small trailers before ordering Eggy-Sue (the pull-it surprize) so we knew and got what we wanted, coming up on thirteen years ago now! Mods have made it even more what we wanted!
Think first about trailer size, then about accommodations, an extra light or 12V outlet can always be added later, but if you think of something get it with the build.
What do you want to do with your trailer?
Sleep? Cook? Eat or have cold drinks? Read? Shower? Stay warm? Stay cool? "Powder your nose"? Have your own shade? Videos? Music? Storage? Easy to tow? Easy to park? Easy to stop? Drive throughs?
What do you like to drive?
And a big one for me...Having a COOL, reliable, useful product at a great value.
And last... Do you like to meet new people? You will at every gas station, campground and rest stop, not to mention all the "thumbs up" on the highway!
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp