Scamp vs Casita Insulation - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-28-2015, 12:17 PM   #1

Name: Lyle
Trailer: Scamp 16, previously Scamp 13
None
Scamp vs Casita Insulation

For those of you who have experience with both, what is the real world difference between the two. I've always read that the Scamps were better insulated, but how significant is the difference? Should it be considered a substantial decision consideration for someone from the north who may want to use the trailer in the colder months?
LyleB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 12:39 PM   #2

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by LyleB View Post
For those of you who have experience with both, what is the real world difference between the two. I've always read that the Scamps were better insulated, but how significant is the difference? Should it be considered a substantial decision consideration for someone from the north who may want to use the trailer in the colder months?
The Scamp is better insulated than the Casita, that is to say, where it is insulated. Most losses are through the floor,windows, etc.
Neither trailer is designed for super cold, but either will will work fine from about 25F and up.
Below that you will need to winterize and cover the widows but you could still stay warm down a little further if you have heat.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 04:16 PM   #3

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
Can't the widows cover themselves? Couldn't pass that one up...
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 04:25 PM   #4

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
We have owned both a Scamp and a Casita and camped at below zero temp . The greatest heat loss is through the windows and infiltration. The difference in the wall / ceiling insulation between the two trailers is insignificant when it comes to heat loss.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 06:05 AM   #5

Trailer:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
Can't the widows cover themselves?
Thread hijack - I presume you know the ancient comedy sketch by Gerard Hoffnung, about the letter sent by a European hotelier in response to a room enquiry:

Quote:
Dear Madam: I am honorable to accept your impossible request. Unhappy it is, I here have not bedroom with bath. A bathroom with bed I have. I can, though, give you a washing, with pleasure, in a most clean spring with no one to see. I insist that you will like this... I am amazing diverted by your entreaty for a room. I can offer you a commodious chamber with balcony imminent to the romantic gorge, and I hope that you want to drop in. A vivacious stream washes my doorsteps, so do not concern yourself that I am not too good in bath, I am superb in bed. Sorrowfully I cannot abide your auto... Having freshly taken over the propriety of this notorious house, I am wishful that you remove to me your esteemed costume. Standing among savage scenery, the hotel offers stupendous revelations. There is a french widow in every bedroom, affording delightful prospects. I give personal look to the interior wants of each guests. Here, you shall be well fed-up and agreeably drunk. Our charges for weekly visitors are scarcely creditable. Peculiar arrangements for gross parties, our motto is \"ever serve you right!\"
Andrew Gibbens is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
casita, scamp