Scamp winter storage - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-29-2014, 08:26 AM   #1

Name: staci
Trailer: scamp
Minnesota
Scamp winter storage

Hello
This is our first winter in MN having the scamp and I am wondering where people store them for winter typically. Inside vs outside. It is in the middle of a remodel so no hoses or water tanks involved and it doesn't have a bathroom. So really just snow and cold temps to worry about. I know storing inside is ideal but wondering if people do leave them parked outside during winter and how the shell holds up...? We would be brushing large amounts of snow off the roof when needed.
staciw02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 10:11 AM   #2

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
If you don't have a water freezing issue, prop all the cushions on edge and open all your cabinet doors and hatch covers. I would even leave the vent cracked open for ventilation. If air gets trapped in confined spaces and with the temperature swings from day to night you can get condensation in confined spaces which could lead to mold. This situation occurs more often if the trailer is parked in direct sunlight during the winter.
Most Scamps I have seen from Mn. seem to be parked in Fla. during the winter with the owners close by keeping an eye on them.
Eddie
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 12:00 PM   #3

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
We live in northern Wisconsin and our trailer sits outside in the winter > We wash and wax the exterior in the Fall then cover the trailer . We also brace the roof for snow load and place the trailer up on blocks to get the weight off the axle and the tires off the ground . We have Maxx Air window vents so we can leave the windows cracked open for ventilation . We remove the cushions , anything that will be damaged by freezing , food items, bedding and leave the cabinet doors open.
The real solution to your question is to spend the winter as suggested in Florida . Getting the trailer ready to head South in the middle of winter is a real PITA . Last year when we left for our trip South it was 18 Deg F below zero.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 12:37 PM   #4

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Follow the institutions from Scamp for winterizing - don't forget to drain the hot water tank - the PO of mine found out thats not a good thing to forget. Don't forget to run some anti freeze through the water pump & down the shower drain into that pump if you have one - can't tell you how many friends have turned on their water pumps for the first time after winter to discover damage due to freezing as they had pumped the anti freeze into the system using the city water connection only.

I agree with Steve if you are expecting a snow load your best to brace the inside of the trailer with 2x4's - we had a few eggs crack here in the lower mainland of BC a few winters ago when we had an unusual amount of snow.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 01:25 PM   #5

Trailer: 1983 13 ft Scamp
Registry
Leave the trailer at a slight angle to let the snow melt run off.
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 02:19 PM   #6

Trailer: 1990 Scamp 16 ft
Congrats Eddie on 1000 posts. Lots of good advice I assume. We will see if you can catch Carol. ;-)
John Linck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 07:53 PM   #7

Name: Wendy Lee
Trailer: Scamp 13' Standard
New York
Registry
My trailer sat outside all last winter covered. I did not crack windows or vents open at all, nor do I keep trailer vent cracked now as it sits in my driveway. I have damp rid in there though and I did frequently brush snow off roof and I mean sometimes 2 or even 3 times a week.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
CampyTime is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp