scampers attention please aisle 4 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-09-2017, 06:15 AM   #1

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
scampers attention please aisle 4

Looking at my Scamper 13 and my A-Liner which is gone I couldn't figure out why the A-Liner was larger and it was small!

Well I got out my trusty rusty tape and I determine the Scamp 13f is really a Scamp 10ft. Anyone figured this out I want my 3ft?

bob

Life in a 13f Scamp is Rediculous!! Now a 10ft Scamp!
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 06:30 AM   #2

Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Most trailers are measured by the total length, bumper to the ball coupler.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 06:44 AM   #3

Missouri
well now

Since my trailer tongue has been extended 2ft am I now a 15ft Scamper?

Inquiring minds want to know? If I sell it do I list it as a 15ft Scamper

bob

a now 15f Scamper is ridiculous
Old 10-09-2017, 06:50 AM   #4

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by mary and bob View Post
Most trailers are measured by the total length, bumper to the ball coupler.
To add, that's an older way of designating trailer lengths: tongue to bumper. At one time all trailers were identified by their total length. Molded fiberglass manufacturers still do it that way. So does Airstream. They're not being deceptive, merely old-fashioned.

Most mainstream trailer manufacturers now designate their models by cabin-only length, and folding trailers by box length. They've been doing it that way for years.

Makes for confusion when coming into the molded fiberglass world for the first time or when comparing trailers of different build types. Best bet is to take model designations with a grain of salt and refer to the specs for true size information. Many molded trailers are also narrower than typical framed trailers, which translates to an even bigger difference in living space.

Quote:
Originally Posted by k0wtz View Post
...Life in a 13f Scamp is Rediculous!! Now a 10ft Scamp!
Just remember, Bob- the trailer didn't shrink. Your Scamp is the same size it always was. A number is just a number. The fact that a Scamp can sleep and feed four people in a 10'x6'6" space is a masterpiece of clever packaging!

In the end, though, you don't really live in a Scamp 13; you live out of it. It's about having a comfortable, secure base to spend most of your time enjoying the outdoors. If you try to spend too many waking hours inside one, you'll soon be looking for a bigger trailer!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 06:52 AM   #5

Name: Lisa
Trailer: 1992 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
Quote:
First, don't sell it.
But if you did, I'd list it as a 13' Scamp with 2 feet of additional trailer tongue added.
lisantica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 07:10 AM   #6

Missouri
the scamper

well wont sell it but I want my 2f right now!

bob

a 13f 10f Scamp is rediculous
Old 10-09-2017, 10:22 AM   #7

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Since my trailer tongue has been extended 2ft am I now a 15ft Scamper?

bob

a now 15f Scamper is ridiculous
Any streetrodder could answer that in a NY minute.
You have a modified Scamp13.
Mine has a box bumper which adds to the length but doesn't change the make or the model.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 10:29 AM   #8

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
To add, that's an older way of designating trailer lengths: tongue to bumper. At one time all trailers were identified by their total length. Molded fiberglass manufacturers still do it that way. So does Airstream. They're not being deceptive, merely old-fashioned.

Most mainstream trailer manufacturers now designate their models by cabin-only length, and folding trailers by box length. They've been doing it that way for years.

Makes for confusion when coming into the molded fiberglass world for the first time or when comparing trailers of different build types. Best bet is to take model designations with a grain of salt and refer to the specs for true size information. Many molded trailers are also narrower than typical framed trailers, which translates to an even bigger difference in living space.

Just remember, Bob- the trailer didn't shrink. Your Scamp is the same size it always was. A number is just a number. The fact that a Scamp can sleep and feed four people in a 10'x6'6" space is a masterpiece of clever packaging!

In the end, though, you don't really live in a Scamp 13; you live out of it. It's about having a comfortable, secure base to spend most of your time enjoying the outdoors. If you try to spend too many waking hours inside one, you'll soon be looking for a bigger trailer!
I guess that all depends how you define "too many waking hours"?
Or even "soon". I haven't seen a hint of either after more than 13 years.

My house is a comfortable 1375 square feet and I still like to go elsewhere sometimes...
now a Shop/Garage can never be big enough.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 10:36 AM   #9

Arizona
Registry
scampers attention please aisle 4

We have managed with all four of us inside and awake for up to about two hours at a spell. Once we watched a movie together on a blustery evening, and once the kids did schoolwork at the dinette while my wife and I worked on our laptops on the front sofa. (Full disclosure... I think I nodded off several times during the movie... )

After a couple of hours tops it's either get outside or go to sleep!
Old 10-09-2017, 11:23 AM   #10

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
When I was initially shopping travel trailers I missed a great deal on a U-Haul 13 because I did not realize what FGRVs were about back then. Since buying a Scamp 16 I am glad I passed on the smaller trailer. The 16 (13) is Goldilocks (just right) for us!
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 12:20 PM   #11

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
...Its all in your mind, the size did not change after you bought it

You simply came down with what boaters call 2 foot itis. "if only I had another 2 feet everything would be perfect".

Then they buy a bigger boat and discover the increase in moorage cost
There is always a price to pay and it is not just the purchase price. With trailers it can mean needing a bigger tow vehicle and paying more for gas.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 12:21 PM   #12

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
"Scamper" vs "Scamp"

Be careful with names. There is a popup or stick built camper called Skamper, nothing like the molded fiberglass Scamps.
Scamp owners may be referred to as "scampers" but not the trailer.
Wayne Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 07:26 PM   #13

Missouri
scamper

well I have to wonder what this has to do with the price of beans. Do you mean I am going to be sued? If so by whom/

I still want my 3ft! I might name it the SCAMPER!

Jon I don't have a dinette our bed is permanent and the other end hold the futon we like to set in it but we don't haul grandkids but we do like to boondock!

bob
Old 10-10-2017, 07:33 PM   #14

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
... I might name it the SCAMPER!

THIS is a Scamper RV. It is not a molded fiberglass trailer. I doubt that the company that makes them will sue you if you call your Scamp a Scamper... but people will still make assumptions based on the name.
Attached Thumbnails
LyndasCamper.jpg  
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 01:09 AM   #15

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Quote:
well I have to wonder what this has to do with the price of beans. Do you mean I am going to be sued? bob
Rather doubt it but using the correct name for a molded Scamp on a molded TT site would be the common sense thing to do unless you're comparing the two different build type trailers for some reason or that's what you've named your trailer and talking about it.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 06:56 AM   #16

Arizona
Registry
Since it appears some want to get particular here... The image shown a couple of posts ago (and the long-time maker of tent trailers, folding pick-up campers, and travel trailers) is a Skamper, spelled with a "k."

They actually made a good product, as stickies go. My family traveled many thousands of miles in a Skamper tent trailer in the 70's. I saw a nicely renovated late-80's unit at a campground recently and noticed, among other details, the roof corners were large pieces of cast aluminum, not the cheap plastic many others use.

Skamper was acquired by Thor in 1994 and discontinued in 2003.
Pop-up Camper History

A Google search on "Scamper" with a "c" didn't turn up anything but Scamps and Skampers, so I'd say it's fair game to appropriate it as a nickname for Scamp denizens. Of course, when talking about the trailer itself, it's a Scamp.

Jon, former Skamper, now Scamper!
Old 10-11-2017, 07:25 AM   #17

Missouri
scamper

well looking at the Kodiak I don't see scamper on it anywhere? I still think I am now naming my rig Scamper. I rather like it but I still want my 3ft!

life is good in a 13f scamper its ridiculous!!!

bob
Old 10-11-2017, 07:56 AM   #18

Arizona
Registry
Kodiak is probably the model name, and I'd guess it's from the Thor era. Marketing probably decided "Skamper" wasn't cool- had to have garish graphics and an outdoorsy name like all the others.

Lots of good nameplates got swallowed up by big RV conglomerates, lost their unique identities, and were discarded when they no longer added sufficiently to the corporate bottom line.

Long live small, independent RV makers!
Old 10-12-2017, 11:36 AM   #19

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Kodiak is probably the model name, and I'd guess it's from the Thor era. Marketing probably decided "Skamper" wasn't cool- had to have garish graphics and an outdoorsy name like all the others. ...
Long live small, independent RV makers!
Yes, those "outdoorsy" names - sometime toward the end of our tenting era, let's call it BS (Before Scamp), I took a stroll through a campground in Florida and just paid attention to the names on all the campers, not much else. It was amusing, and I discovered a correlation: the bigger the size, the fancier the names.
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 11:54 AM   #20

Missouri
strange

Paul I too have noticed this. How about a Ford Edge turn your crank I feel for one what a mistake! I paid way too much for it and now I am stuck but its paid for now I have to figure how to unload it!!

I hate that car!!

bob

Tags
scamp