Scan Gauge 11 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-29-2010, 08:14 PM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I am just curious if anyone here is using a scan gauge to improve fuel mileage.
Old 06-29-2010, 08:45 PM   #2

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17 ft
Registry
I use one - primarily for the transmission temperature gauge.
I suppose I could watch it to try and improve mileage, but I think it would try to get me to drive like my dad did 40 years ago - easy on the gas when you start out, don't race up to a stop sign ....
I did use it to check a code and clear a CEL the other day.
I like it..
paulw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 10:46 PM   #3

Trailer: 1990 Bigfoot 17 ft.5 ft
The Scan Gauge II info states only coolant temperature not transmission temperature .
Bill A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 04:37 AM   #4

Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2001 Casita Spirit Deluxe (I'm down to 2!)
Evidently it will display Tranny Temp for certain vehicles.
I know some other Sprinter owners have reported this function.

I use mine every time I tow to watch coolant temp,engine load,MPG amd GPM and in general just have something else to watch and be unsettled about?

I move mine from car to car too and track and reset codes as needed.
It gives a lot of info in a small package I think.
I need to look into the extended functions more and see if I can take advantage of any in my vehicles.
Ed Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 05:08 AM   #5

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp 1999
How do you know which vehicles it works in? I would like to moniter the transmission temp. Is must install in some simple way? (As you can see I am not familar with the scan gauge!).
Mark J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 05:15 AM   #6

Trailer: 2009 Scamp 16 ft / 2003 Durango
Here is a link to the Scan Gauge web site

http://www.scangauge.com/

Bill K

Quote:
How do you know which vehicles it works in? I would like to moniter the transmission temp. Is must install in some simple way? (As you can see I am not familar with the scan gauge!).
Bill K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 05:19 AM   #7

Trailer: 1983 13 ft Scamp
Registry
I have one. You can read 4 gauges at a time. I have mine set to read Water temp,Trans. Temp
Avg MPG and MPG as you drive. It has about 25 other gauges also. My ScanGauge II is on a 99 Silverado Pickup.
http://www.scangauge.com/

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1999_Aqua.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	24.7 KB
ID:	29187
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 07:49 AM   #8

Trailer: 88 Cadet
To be able to track mileage requires a lot of user inputs since the OBDII connector does not have any gas tank capacity information. So on each fill up the user needs to input the data. I don't do this as I find it a bit of a pain. What the scan guage is great is looking at fault codes (check engine lights etc) and self diagnosis before deciding to take into the shop. With all of the electronic sensors on today's vehicles is nice to know what's going on and if it is an intermittent or serious issue. Besides, if the garage charges you $75 to clear fault codes, you'll have this paid for in 3 visits.
Len Cater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 08:02 AM   #9

Trailer: Bigfoot Rear Queen 25 ft
Don't most later model vehicles have this information available on board?
Time K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 08:27 AM   #10

Trailer: 88 Cadet
To be able to track mileage requires a lot of user inputs since the OBDII connector does not have any gas tank capacity information. So on each fill up the user needs to input the data. I don't do this as I find it a bit of a pain. What the scan guage is great is looking at fault codes (check engine lights etc) and self diagnosis before deciding to take into the shop. With all of the electronic sensors on today's vehicles is nice to know what's going on and if it is an intermittent or serious issue. Besides, if the garage charges you $75 to clear fault codes, you'll have this paid for in 3 visits.
Len Cater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 08:30 AM   #11

Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2001 Casita Spirit Deluxe (I'm down to 2!)
Quote:
I think it takes less than 10 seconds at each fill-up to enter the data?
I consider this extremely quick to do.

Ed Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 08:38 AM   #12

Registry
Quote:
Don't most later model vehicles have this information available on board?
Ya - The ScanGauge just plugs in to your car's OBDII connector and lets you display whatever data's available that you want to see. Higher end versions of my truck have a display built in to the dash.

I had to set some codes to display the transmission temperature (The instructions are on their web site). Evidently its not available from from vehicles.

Gas consumption features:
When you first set it up you enter your vehicles gas tank capacity and when you do the next few fill ups, you correct the quantity of gas your car thinks you pumped in to calibrate the unit. I think its as accurate as I usually am doing division on the back of a gas reciept.

I like it for the four extra gauges I keep displayed - intake air, transmission & water temps and miles per gallon - but there's a lot more available if you want to play with it.
Old 06-30-2010, 09:16 AM   #13

Name: Jon
Trailer: Escape 21C
New York
Registry
I have mine set for current MPG, Miles Until Empty, Water Temp & Battery Voltage. As long as you enter the # of gallons at each fillup & the tank size, the Miles Until Empty works pretty good. I Do wish transmission temperature was available for the RAV4, but I have not been able to find codes for it. Not sure why since there is an transmission overtemp indicator lamp.
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 10:46 AM   #14

Trailer: 1983 13 ft Scamp
Registry
NO sensor for a RAV4.
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 04:27 PM   #15

Name: Jon
Trailer: Escape 21C
New York
Registry
Quote:
NO sensor for a RAV4.
I believe you since ScanGuage states it can't measure transmission temp, but what makes the transmission over temperature light come on?
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 07:52 PM   #16

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp 1999
What is the OBDII connector? On all cars? I own a 2010 Subaru Forester. Anybody using a scanguge to check trasmission temps on their Forester?

I am dragging my feet at installing a trans cooler because it voids the warranty on the transmission so it would be nice to keep an eye on the temps as I tow my Scamp.
Mark J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 09:20 PM   #17

Registry
HI Mark J,
Its the interfaced to the cars computer where your mechanic or emission control tech if you have to pass an annual test, plug their equipment to look for codes. Looks like a big rectangular plug.

Scan Gauge FAQs
Quote:
How do I find the plug to connect the ScanGauge II?
The OBD2 connector is supposed to be located within 1 meter of the steering column. It is usually under the dash and just to the right or left of the steering column. Sometimes it will have a cover over its face. Other locations are under the dash on the passenger side under the dash, behind the ash tray and in a rare case, under the ash tray in the back seat armrest. The pictures below show the OBD2 plug in a typical location.
Old 07-01-2010, 09:45 PM   #18

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
I use my Scan Guage to prevent the transmission from downshifting so often.

I have it setup to display RPM, THP (Throttle Position), LOD (calculated load factor), and TFT (Transmission Temperature).

I set the Cruise Control for 60 MPH and when THP approches 50% I deprress the Engage/Coast button and when THP returns to <30% I depress the Resume/Accelerate button.

It works like a charm.

CD Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 10:06 PM   #19

Trailer: Escape 13 ft 2010 ('Ladybug') / 2003 Subaru Forester
Registry
Quote:
What is the OBDII connector? On all cars? I own a 2010 Subaru Forester. Anybody using a scanguge to check trasmission temps on their Forester?

I am dragging my feet at installing a trans cooler because it voids the warranty on the transmission so it would be nice to keep an eye on the temps as I tow my Scamp.
Mark:

I suggest contacting your dealer and asking whether the OBDII for your car carries transmission temperature information, and explain why you are asking. I have done that, but don't have a reply yet.

I have installed a transmission oil cooler on my 2003 Subaru Forester and suggest that you do the same. The risk of the transmission overheating is much greater if you don't have a transmission oil cooler, and the cost of the cooler is much less than the cost of a new transmission. Besides, if the transmission overheats and fails while you are towing a trailer it is possible the warranty on the transmission will not be honoured -- check with your dealer.

Brian
Old 07-06-2010, 10:00 AM   #20

Trailer: Escape 13 ft 2010 ('Ladybug') / 2003 Subaru Forester
Registry
Quote:
Mark:

I suggest contacting your dealer and asking whether the OBDII for your car carries transmission temperature information, and explain why you are asking. I have done that, but don't have a reply yet.

I have installed a transmission oil cooler on my 2003 Subaru Forester and suggest that you do the same. The risk of the transmission overheating is much greater if you don't have a transmission oil cooler, and the cost of the cooler is much less than the cost of a new transmission. Besides, if the transmission overheats and fails while you are towing a trailer it is possible the warranty on the transmission will not be honoured -- check with your dealer.

Brian
Mark:

Today I had a reply from our Subaru dealer in Vancouver. He says that when they use a shop scan tool they can get a transmission temperature reading, so assume that there is a transmission oil temperature sensor.

Brian