Scary Dog incident by alert - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 10-25-2019, 07:07 AM   #21

Name: Sergey
Trailer: 2014 Scamp 16 layout 4, 2018 Winnebago Revel 4x4
SW Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerrybob View Post
An uncontrolled dog combined with an "idiot" owner is always a bad combination.....

Anything combined with an idiot owner is a bad combination... Idiot drivers, idiot campers, idiot parents, idiot gov..t.
Old 10-25-2019, 08:11 AM   #22

Name: Jim
Trailer: Scamp
Colorado
Registry
If I don't like your dog, I probably won't like you!
Old 10-25-2019, 09:39 AM   #23

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by sokhapkin View Post
Anything combined with an idiot owner is a bad combination... Idiot drivers, idiot campers, idiot parents, idiot gov..t.
Just remember... when all you see are idiots, you’re probably lost in a house of mirrors!
Old 10-25-2019, 01:27 PM   #24
vin

Name: vince
Trailer: escape
Georgia
Dogs

They are are faithful, full of unconditional love despite how some people mistreat them which is more than you can say for a lot of their handlers. How they react is how they were or were not taught, just like children. If you do not want to accept the responsibility of properly raising them, then you should do everybody a public service and not have either.
Old 10-27-2019, 09:52 AM   #25

Name: Cliff
Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
I don't particularly appreciate sharing a restaurant, theater, or grocery store with dogs.
I really don't appreciate people who walk their dogs for blocks just to crap in my yard.
Worse yet, I don't appreciate motel rooms which trigger my granddaughter's allergies because they are allowed to double as kennels,and are not so designated.
The train has left the station on those things...

But worst of all... I don't appreciate conflating dogs with children.

It is patently offensive.
😳 don’t like dogs??
Old 10-27-2019, 09:58 AM   #26

Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by vin View Post
They are are faithful, full of unconditional love despite how some people mistreat them which is more than you can say for a lot of their handlers. How they react is how they were or were not taught, just like children. If you do not want to accept the responsibility of properly raising them, then you should do everybody a public service and not have either.
👍😎👍
Old 10-27-2019, 10:03 AM   #27

Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scamper Jim View Post
If I don't like your dog, I probably won't like you!
And if my dog doesn’t like you I probably wouldn’t either.
🤔 he is a great judge of character 😎
Old 10-27-2019, 10:04 AM   #28

Name: Jerrybob
Trailer: casita
Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
I feel the same. What bothers me though is those that group all dog owners in this group. The vast majority of dogs I know personally are very well trained. There are a few though.
I agree Jim.....we travel with two good size dogs.....they are well trained and enjoy camping. They don't go to festivals...concerts and the like.....they do like walks on the beach...they are leashed 99% of the time......we always pick up after them.....most dog owners are good folks....a few are the "idiots" I referred to.
Old 10-27-2019, 10:07 AM   #29

Name: Jerrybob
Trailer: casita
Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Just remember... when all you see are idiots, you’re probably lost in a house of mirrors!
Or hold a political office. LOL!
Old 10-27-2019, 10:07 AM   #30

Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerrybob View Post
I agree Jim.....we travel with two good size dogs.....they are well trained and enjoy camping. They don't go to festivals...concerts and the like.....they do like walks on the beach...they are leashed 99% of the time......we always pick up after them.....most dog owners are good folks....a few are the "idiots" I referred to.
And if you see an irresistible owner and don’t call them on it you’re not helping the problem.
Old 10-27-2019, 12:51 PM   #31

Trailer: Oliver
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Hotchkiss View Post
And if you see an irresistible owner and don’t call them on it you’re not helping the problem.
Especially if they’re irresponsible as well...
Old 10-27-2019, 01:31 PM   #32

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Feel free to confront anyone you wish for whatever reason you see fit .
Discretion is the better part of valor and I have no intention of putting my life in jeopardy by starting a discussion / argument with an idiot
Deadly force is used far to often these days to settle silly / childish disagreements
Old 10-27-2019, 01:35 PM   #33

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Quote:
I do this with good attitude and intention sometimes. Mostly folks just don't care they have not trained well, but a few times they have gladly let me work with them and show how to train in the situation wanting the pet to behave better.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 10-27-2019, 02:41 PM   #34

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
�� don’t like dogs??
Of course I like dogs. Who doesn't?
Well... most dogs anyway.
I like people too.
Well... most people anyway.
I just don't confuse the two.

There was nothing in my post which you quoted which could be construed as dislike for dogs.
Old 10-27-2019, 02:49 PM   #35

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Outlaw View Post
Especially if they’re irresponsible as well...
LIKE!
Old 10-30-2019, 12:10 PM   #36

Name: Bush
Trailer: Vagabond
Nevada
It's usually not the dogs that bother me in the grocery store, movie theater and National Parks. You got it, it's usually the people!
Old 10-30-2019, 01:42 PM   #37

Name: Ray
Trailer: scamp
Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbarron55 View Post
Pit Bulls have a history of this type of thing and were bred to attack.
Why people insist on owning dangerous animals is beyond me.
Some questionable people search out questionable animals for their ego.
I guess that if you need a dog to protect your drug stash a Pit Bull would be a good choice.

Actually originally they were bred to care for children. No I am not kidding. They still when raised right are not a problem. It has more to do with how they are raised.
Old 10-30-2019, 01:56 PM   #38

Name: Alexander
Trailer: 1979 Boler B1300
New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by computerspook View Post
Actually originally they were bred to care for children. No I am not kidding. They still when raised right are not a problem. It has more to do with how they are raised.
I looked at Wikipedia and this is what they had to say about the breed:

Pit bull is the common name for a type of dog descended from bulldogs and terriers. The pit bull-type is particularly ambiguous, as it encompasses a range of pedigree breeds, informal types and appearances that cannot be reliably identified.[1] Formal breeds often considered to be of the pit bull-type include the American Pit Bull Terrier, American Staffordshire Terrier, American Bully, and Staffordshire Bull Terrier.[2][3][4] The American Bulldog is also sometimes included.[5] Mixed-breed dogs which physically resemble these breeds often get labelled as "pit bulls" by shelters. Many of these breeds were originally developed as fighting dogs from crossbreeding bull-baiting dogs (used to hold the faces and heads of larger animals such as bulls) and terriers.[5] After the use of dogs in blood sports was banned, such dogs were used as catch dogs in the United States for semi-wild cattle and hogs, to hunt and drive livestock, and as family companions.[6] Despite dog fighting now being illegal in the United States, it still exists as an underground activity, and pit bulls are a common type used.[7][8][9]

According to the American Veterinary Medical Association, "owners of pit bull-type dogs deal with a strong breed stigma; however, controlled studies have not identified this breed group as disproportionately dangerous."[1] Because owners of stigmatized breeds are more likely to have involvement in criminal or violent acts, breed correlations may have the owner's behavior as the underlying causal factor.[1] Some jurisdictions have enacted legislation banning the group of breeds, and some insurance companies do not cover liability from pit bull bites. Among other roles, pit bulls have served as police dogs, search and rescue dogs, and several have appeared on film.
Old 10-30-2019, 02:01 PM   #39

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
My pug(s) act as 'sugar dogs" for my insulin use; probably because when my sugar is too low, I must eat and my judgment is less than it normally is, so I feed them as well. They learned early and will paw me or even climb onto me when blood glucose dips too far.

While this is a genuine service that they perform, I'm also well aware that during the day I can detect lowered blood sugar on my own. It's at night or when I'm napping that they have alerted me most usefully.

However, many people object to their being around and/or don't believe pugs can perform actual service. They have vests and are generally quiet, obedient, under control, carry their own clean-up supplies, and are completely people-friendly, but they are still dogs.

When we went to Bandon's big gathering in 2016, we were told no dogs were allowed at the pot luck meals, and I simply stayed in the trailer with them. At that point, we had no idea how they'd handle being left in the trailer. Later we learned they would crawl into their bed and fall asleep together, not bark, not scratch, not carry on, and then I was freer to leave them for an hour or two.

I'll take them with me into stores under some circumstances. Not all. They've been in restaurants--once or twice. They're still dogs. I cannot guarantee they'll act like robots.

I wish some people would be more like decent dog owners and keep their kids on leashes and not let them run around wildly. One campground kids were all over the roads, dashing in and out suddenly, on little bikes and zipping zig-zag in front of our vehicle every time we went by. They screamed for hours and into the night, still hollering after 11 PM. Mom had left them alone in the trailer, a big rig with generator going, and was at a noisy drinking party that was raucous until after 1 AM. They also had a huge, smoky fire going half the night, which filled our little Peanut to nearly the choking point. Kids and generators and drunks and screaming...

Dangerous dogs are truly a bane. Truly. Loose dogs are, also, for so many reasons. .

And here we don't boondock.

Let's face it, sometimes you just want to be breathing clean air and be peaceful and quiet. That's why we have a backyard at home.

When you travel or go off your property, you have to expect others--all kinds of others--and be ready to accept, deal, and strategically avoid. And sometimes defend aganst. It sucks to have to go that far.

And sometimes you enjoy very much the interactions with all kinds of others.

So now I've wandered all around the topic and added nothing of value. Oh, well.
Like a smoky campfire--it's not a big deal no matter how much it annoys you. Bothering you was never the point.

BEST
"K"
Old 10-30-2019, 03:16 PM   #40

Name: Harold
Trailer: 1975 Scamp, 13-foot
Redding, California
Registry
The dog is not man's best friend. The dog is man's only friend.

Civilization allows people of all types to get along, but in order to have a civilized society, individuals must be civil, and civil dog owners will civilize their dogs.

If the dog owner is aggressive, so will be his dog. Some uncivil people choose pit bulls because of their undeserved reputation, believing a pit bull can more easily be trained to be uncivil. These same people will often show their aggressive and antisocial tendencies in other ways.

The dog from the Our Gang TV show, produced from 1922 to 1944, was a pit bull. The RCA dog Nipper was a pit bull. A well socialized and trained pit bull is a danger to no one, and a joy to their owners.

A huge problem is dog owners who don't realize that every dog requires an investment in time and attention. They seem to think a dog will naturally behave in society. My niece had a pit bull for which she had a muzzle. A muzzle is not a substitute for training, it is an admission that you have a dangerous untrained dog. One Christmas someone let the dog in the house without the muzzle and it mauled my Jack Russel terrier. There was a lot of blood spilled, but my dog recovered and is now fine. My niece is very lucky this happened within the family.

Any dog with teeth is capable of biting. And when a dog is provoked biting is a reasonable response -- at least to the dog. The bottom line is that both people and their pets need to be trained to be civil in society. The unfortunate truth is that many people, and many pets, have not received the proper training, either because of laziness or ignorance.

The stories that bother me most are where someone, and/or their pet, is injured by an aggressive animal and the owner of that animal pays no penalty other than financial.

--Harold
Closed Thread