Scary Dog incident by alert - Page 8 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 11-13-2019, 11:18 AM   #141

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Predatory towing is a big problem in many urban locations, including the big city near me that I try so hard to avoid. But there is a big difference between the enforcement of statutory regulations of handicapped parking spots which are mandated through interpretation of the Americans with Disabilities Act and private parties and property owners enforcing parking regulations on their own property (usually because of limited parking availability). Since the conversation has morphed from a few comments about the former to a discussion about the latter, I just wanted to make that distinction.

Both situations are (usually) regulated in some way, but they are very different and appeals would not be done the same.
Old 11-13-2019, 11:50 AM   #142

Name: Mon
Trailer: 13' 2008 Scamp...YAY!
Missouri
Besides braille on drive up ATM's, I always wondered about this one place I worked.

They had braille instructions OVER the top of the entry to their elevators.

Then again, it was a federal building....

MonB
Old 11-13-2019, 02:12 PM   #143

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Old 11-13-2019, 03:10 PM   #144

Name: Alexander
Trailer: 1979 Boler B1300
New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by monB View Post
They had braille instructions OVER the top of the entry to their elevators.
MonB
Probably badly worded legislation or rule. Something to the effect that if you have any sign you must have a braille translation without consideration of practicality. So they put braille on a sign that can't be reached to comply with the legislation or rule.
Old 11-13-2019, 03:19 PM   #145

Name: Harold
Trailer: 1975 Scamp, 13-foot
Redding, California
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Adams View Post
Probably badly worded legislation or rule. Something to the effect that if you have any sign you must have a braille translation without consideration of practicality. So they put braille on a sign that can't be reached to comply with the legislation or rule.
That, or the sign was installed by a giant.

Also realize that if a lawmaker's IQ falls withing the standard deviation of average (or normal, if you will), his or her IQ might be as low as 85.

--Harold
Old 11-13-2019, 03:25 PM   #146

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
it's no surprise that drive thru ATMs have braille keys. The cost of tooling two different ATM keyboards would be significant. It's not that everybody else is stupid.
Old 11-13-2019, 03:51 PM   #147

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
MonB: so many good responses. I never thought about it being installed by a giant, but of course I thought about that Bell curve of IQ...half of all people are below average, so there's that. If you've read the Peter Principal, you'll remember that all the work that gets done properly is done by people who haven't yet reached the level of their incompetence. The other half is "done" by those who have.

Giant Braille Signs over the tops of signs over doorways. Wow. Just wow.

I never thought about the issue of just using one standark ATM machine front, either; so possibly the braille woudln't even work? Or would that be part of just using one standard design not just for the front, but for the whole thing? Fascinating things to think about.

BEST
"K"
Old 11-13-2019, 04:29 PM   #148

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
it's no surprise that drive thru ATMs have braille keys. The cost of tooling two different ATM keyboards would be significant. It's not that everybody else is stupid.
Perhaps in some locations. I deal with Bank of America. The Braille is not on any keyboard because in my locality the “keyboard” is a touchscreen sans Braille.
Old 11-13-2019, 04:36 PM   #149

Florida
Registry
Quote:
Perhaps in some locations. I deal with Bank of America. The Braille is not on any keyboard because in my locality the “keyboard” are mostly touchscreens sans Braille. The Braille characters are well below the touchscreens. But in the USA there are some questionable accessibility regulations.
Old 11-13-2019, 04:42 PM   #150

Name: Harold
Trailer: 1975 Scamp, 13-foot
Redding, California
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPW View Post
Perhaps in some locations. I deal with Bank of America. The Braille is not on any keyboard because in my locality the “keyboard” are mostly touchscreens sans Braille. The Braille characters are well below the touchscreens. But in the USA there are some questionable accessibility regulations.
Perhaps that is true. I also deal with Bank of America. I'm pretty sure they used to, but they recently replaced the machines where I bank. I'll have to check next time I go through the drive-thru.

--Harold
Old 11-13-2019, 05:09 PM   #151

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPW View Post

Do you enter your PIN on the large touch screen, or do you enter it on a small mechanical pad about the size of your phone?
In any event:
Today, over 100,000 ATMs across the US can be operated using speech. Most major banks, including Bank of America, Wells Fargo, Chase, and Citibank install accessible ATMs exclusively.
To begin an accessible banking session at most Talking ATMs, all you need to do is plug any set of standard, 3.5mm headphones into the jack. The talking ATM will automatically switch to accessibility mode, and prompt you with audio instructions on the keypad layout of the machine and how you can use it to complete various banking transactions privately and securely.
To find a Talking ATM near you, check your bank’s website or mobile app, or call their customer service hotline.
Old 11-14-2019, 05:12 AM   #152

Florida
Registry
Quote:
Do you enter your PIN on the large touch screen, or do you enter it on a small mechanical pad about the size of your phone?
In any event:
Today, over 100,000 ATMs across the US can be operated using speech. Most major banks, including Bank of America, Wells Fargo, Chase, and Citibank install accessible ATMs exclusively.
To begin an accessible banking session at most Talking ATMs, all you need to do is plug any set of standard, 3.5mm headphones into the jack. The talking ATM will automatically switch to accessibility mode, and prompt you with audio instructions on the keypad layout of the machine and how you can use it to complete various banking transactions privately and securely.
To find a Talking ATM near you, check your bank’s website or mobile app, or call their customer service hotline.
It doesn’t matter how one enters their PIN. After it is entered, all transaction entries are by touch screen, at least at the BOAs in my vicinity. Depending on degree of visual impairment, the user may not be able to see where to touch the screen. And the BOAs in my area DO NOT have talking ATMs, at least not yet.
I do not defend BOA’s policies. I only use them because they have locations all along the east coast where I travel the most. And I get notifications of recurring bills by email and use BOA’s mobile app to pay them when traveling. If north of the border, they have an agreement with Scotia Bank so I can get plastic see-through currency at a lower fee than at the Duty Free locations. However, BOA can be quirky. When ETI refunded me via check for an overpayment of approximately $400, I was unable to remotely deposit the check using BOAs mobile app. I was west of the Mississippi River at the time, no BOAs for hundreds of miles/kilometers. Reason: it was a “foreign” check. Funny, it was written on a check from ETI’s US account. Had to mail it to BOA in Atlanta to deposit the funds.
But really, the bottom line is that like any corporation, BOA is more concerned with its own bottom line rather than worrying about accessibility updates, which they do at their own convenience. Where I live, the little Braille stick-on pads on the ATMs provide little assistance to the visually impaired. Then again, I do not use a lot of cash anymore and haven’t visited an ATM (or a Bank) in the last 6 months. Perhaps the local ones have been updated.
Old 11-14-2019, 08:37 AM   #153

Name: Jim
Trailer: Scamp
Colorado
Registry
Let’s see if I understand this correctly. Banks have those steel posts in front of their ATM machines so the visually impaired driving around don’t hit them when entering the stall, but provide instructions in Braille because they have difficulty seeing the keys on the keypad. But banks don't stop at their first stupid idea, they double down and expect them to see a pissin 3.5mm headphone jack to plug in their speech-activated headsets!

You truly just can not fix stupid.
Old 11-14-2019, 09:27 AM   #154

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
As sighted people, lets not be narrow minded about the needs of others. I took my 92 y/o mother to the bank. She was blind in one eye and didn't see well out of the other. She was nearly deaf. BUT, as long as I was with her, she could use an ATM, enter all the information she needed to so the ATM functioned correctly. I never entered any information for her, she was capable as long as she knew where to enter the info. While she didn't use headphones, if she did I could have helped her with the jack.

Assistance, whether adaptive function or other, helps people stay independent. I welcome all of it because some day I may need it too. PEACE.
Old 11-14-2019, 09:30 AM   #155

Registry
Something most people hate severely is actual true feedback. If they asked customers before they installed some things, you know many of them would say they don't like it, and could tell why. But executives who make these decisions want to hear praise, not reality. They want to be innovative, no matter who it leaves behind or how problematic it proves to be. We see it all the time. Including city councils that change road names because of the fad of the week. Including people who want to pretend their ill-behaved dog is being natural and they're being PC. Including people who think everyone just loves their kids, no matter how obnoxious they are. Just--almost everyone doesn't want to hear it. And yet those who are willing to hear it, learn, and change are those who make life better.
Old 11-14-2019, 10:56 AM   #156

Florida
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
As sighted people, lets not be narrow minded about the needs of others. I took my 92 y/o mother to the bank. She was blind in one eye and didn't see well out of the other. She was nearly deaf. BUT, as long as I was with her, she could use an ATM, enter all the information she needed to so the ATM functioned correctly. I never entered any information for her, she was capable as long as she knew where to enter the info. While she didn't use headphones, if she did I could have helped her with the jack.

Assistance, whether adaptive function or other, helps people stay independent. I welcome all of it because some day I may need it too. PEACE.
I agree, Donna. And let’s keep in mind that a lot of things that some of us, including me, might think as “stupid” or ridiculous is mandated by the Americans with Disabilities Act. And as humorous as I might find Braille on drive-up ATMs, if it helps a few visually impaired people it is a good thing. Hopefully, however, the navy will not start installing screen doors on submarines!
Old 11-14-2019, 11:49 AM   #157

Colorado
Registry
Yup, like herding cats!
Old 11-17-2019, 09:49 PM   #158

Colorado
Registry
Not again!!

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art....html#comments
Old 11-18-2019, 08:56 AM   #159

Registry
Sometimes submarines are docked and sit above water for days, and there are flies and gnats and whatnot, but they might like some fresh air. I'd t...I think screen doors might be usefull; maybe Scamp could come up with a nice design. Something that folds completely out of the way when not in use?

Only $265,000 each, special military price!
Old 11-26-2019, 02:27 PM   #160

Colorado
Registry
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-pit-bull.html
Closed Thread