Screws sticking out of floor bottom - Fiberglass RV
Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-22-2021, 09:27 AM   #1

Name: Diane
Trailer: Scamp 13í
Wisconsin
Screws sticking out of floor bottom

There are many self tapping screws sticking out of the bottom of my 2020 Scamp 13. I like to store my Clam under the trailer (propped up off the garage floor on plastic trays), and it tends to snag on these screws. Can I just snip off the protruding parts of the screws?
Attached Thumbnails
F6F56737-B36F-4C6E-B13E-06D7CF85B675.jpg  
sunnyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2021, 10:03 AM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Don't see why not. Snip and give 'em a few swipes with a file to eliminate burrs.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2021, 10:35 AM   #3

Name: Dave
Trailer: 2013Escape 21
Iowa
Screws

Then give each one a shot of aerosol plasti-dip to seal them and make sure you can locate them in the future if need be.
Iowa Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2021, 01:10 PM   #4

Wisconsin
Thanks, guys.
Old 11-22-2021, 01:38 PM   #5

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
I have zipped a bunch of them off with a cutoff wheel.
Dremel or grinder. Much smoother cut than a nipper.
If you scuff the paint , simply touch it up with a rattle can or a brush.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2021, 03:40 PM   #6

Wisconsin
����
(I don’t know what the question marks are for. That was supposed to be a thumbs up emoji.)
Old 11-22-2021, 06:27 PM   #7

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Use one of these, squeeze hard then wiggle back and forth and the screw will break off. This is a special tool that is handy to have in your tool box.
https://www.amazon.com/Bates-Remover...a-855517345164
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2021, 06:51 PM   #8

Name: You can't call me Al
Trailer: Scamp
Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darwin Maring View Post
Use one of these, squeeze hard then wiggle back and forth and the screw will break off.
While wearing safety glasses.

-Safety Sam.
AlanKilian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2021, 08:19 PM   #9

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darwin Maring View Post
Use one of these, squeeze hard then wiggle back and forth and the screw will break off. This is a special tool that is handy to have in your tool box.
https://www.amazon.com/Bates-Remover...a-855517345164

I've got six or eight of those things. It was the essential tool for the BTs in the refinery. It will work as you describe, but I caution that wiggling back and forth can loosen the screws in the wooden floor if your not careful.
Cut-off wheels are much quicker and easier and make cleaner cuts for this application.
Old 11-23-2021, 07:28 AM   #10

Trailer: 2008 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Registry
And while you're under the trailer with the touch-up paint, I would surely recommend sealing that raw unfinished, (and unsealed,) MDF particle board flooring to keep it from soaking up moisture and turning into a weak bloated swollen expanded sponge. I can't actually believe that they would have exposed wood under the trailer that wasn't coated to seal it from water intrusion. That MDF will wind up being mush if you let water get into it.
Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 07:57 AM   #11

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Greg, it’s OSB, not MDF, and it was sealed at the factory with a coat of fiberglass resin. It’ll be fine, as long as the OP keeps up with basic shell maintenance, doesn’t let mud and crud accumulate on the undercarriage, and deals promptly with any leaks that develop from windows and other shell penetrations. 99% of floor rot happens from the top down.

Mine is now 13 years old and the underside of the floor looks nearly as clean as the day it rolled out of the factory.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 04:16 PM   #12

Trailer: 2008 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Greg, itís OSB, not MDF, and it was sealed at the factory with a coat of fiberglass resin. Itíll be fine, as long as the OP keeps up with basic shell maintenance, doesnít let mud and crud accumulate on the undercarriage, and deals promptly with any leaks that develop from windows and other shell penetrations. 99% of floor rot happens from the top down.

Mine is now 13 years old and the underside of the floor looks nearly as clean as the day it rolled out of the factory.
Well, OSB, MDF, Plywood, etc. It just looked like the picture was showing a raw piece of wood panelling. If it is coated, fine, it just didn't have that appearance from the picture up above.
Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 04:22 PM   #13

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casita Greg View Post
And while you're under the trailer with the touch-up paint, I would surely recommend sealing that raw unfinished, (and unsealed,) MDF particle board flooring to keep it from soaking up moisture and turning into a weak bloated swollen expanded sponge. I can't actually believe that they would have exposed wood under the trailer that wasn't coated to seal it from water intrusion. That MDF will wind up being mush if you let water get into it.
Good news is, You don't actually have to believe it....

Two points...
1] The floor is sealed from below with the same type of polyester resin used to make the fiberglass.

2] It is OSB (oriented strand board) NOT MDF.

OSB is the same stuff that houses are made of .... floors, exterior walls, floor joists, roofs, etc. All "unsealed".
Old 11-23-2021, 04:26 PM   #14

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Greg, itís OSB, not MDF, and it was sealed at the factory with a coat of fiberglass resin. Itíll be fine, as long as the OP keeps up with basic shell maintenance, doesnít let mud and crud accumulate on the undercarriage, and deals promptly with any leaks that develop from windows and other shell penetrations. 99% of floor rot happens from the top down.

Old 11-27-2021, 11:11 AM   #15

Name: Ray
Trailer: scamp
Indiana
Should not be a problem. But I would not do it right at the floor. I would leave like 1/16 of an inch or so still sticking out. That way the full function of the screw is maintained.
computerspook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2021, 01:13 PM   #16

Wisconsin
Good idea.
Old 11-27-2021, 03:35 PM   #17

Trailer: Miti Lite 1987
Whack em flush with a hammer.
Peder_y2k is offline   Reply With Quote