seeking Lovebug camper sold in 1997 in Colorado Springs, help appreciated! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-27-2020, 05:19 PM   #1

Name: Ria
Trailer: Love bug & Erica Puck
Arizona
Smile seeking Lovebug camper sold in 1997 in Colorado Springs, help appreciated!

My very dear friend sold his Lovebug camper in 1997 to pay for his Dad's funeral. He has stated often how he'd love to have it back.

David is a very special man, always helping others.

If anyone can help me find his Lovebug, I'd be so grateful and then interested if they would sell it back to him.

Cheers! Ria
OilPainterRia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 07:41 PM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
seeking Lovebug camper sold in 1997 in Colorado Springs, help appreciated!

Do you have any details that might distinguish one Lovebug from among the others? An old photograph, unusual mods, or especially a VIN number? 1997 is a long time ago and it could well have gone through multiple owners since then.

It’s a long shot, but it helps it’s not a really common make like Scamp.

I wish your friend success in the search!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 09:44 AM   #3

Name: Cheryl
Trailer: SCAMP
Wisconsin
Love Bug

Hello,

I also agree that having photos, vin and year, would greatly help in your search! I have a lovebug.

Curious and interested in helping locate your friends camper.
GMA5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 12:45 PM   #4

Name: Henry
Trailer: BigFoot
Tennessee
What is a Lovebug camper? I will google, maybe it will turn up.

Found some pics. Looks very similar to many of the other small molded fiberglass trailers. Why not suggest he just buy a Scamp, Burro, Casita etc.?

I found a 1973 that just sold for $2300.00. And I thought my Casita held its value...
Old 03-28-2020, 12:46 PM   #5

Arizona
Registry
It’s a Boler-Scamp clone.

Name:   IMG_0232.JPG
Views: 182
Size:  28.7 KB
Old 03-28-2020, 02:31 PM   #6

Name: Dick
Trailer: '15 17' LD Casita and '17 Tahoe LT
Texas
He wants the original one. It will be a tough search and not very good odds of finding it, but maybe with a little luck...
dmad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 04:31 PM   #7

Name: Jann
Trailer: Casita
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by OilPainterRia View Post
My very dear friend sold his Lovebug camper in 1997 to pay for his Dad's funeral. He has stated often how he'd love to have it back.

David is a very special man, always helping others.

If anyone can help me find his Lovebug, I'd be so grateful and then interested if they would sell it back to him.

Cheers! Ria
Does he know who he sold it to? He can try Facebook also. I'm 50 miles from Colorado Springs and would put it on my FB if I see a post for it. Is it a trailer?
Jann Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 07:29 PM   #8

Name: John
Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
good luck. the odds of an already older trailer still being in existence 23 years later are slim at best. the odds of it still being in whatever shape it was in in 1997? even more good luck.

i'd suggest setting his sights on a readily available scamp or casita, and fixing it up to taste and CALLING it a lovebug
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 02:47 PM   #9

Name: John
Trailer: 2019 Oliver Elite II
Texas
I feel it could be tracked down, or at least as long as the registration was in place. Do expect to pay big bucks for it as these are in high demand, I'm talking $10,000 plus and that's for one not running and needs a complete rebuild. If your looking to find it at a cheap price I think your out of luck as people who have them setting on their property know what they are worth. This will give you and idea on where the value is. https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...w+bus&_sacat=0

trainman
trainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 03:01 PM   #10

Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by trainman View Post
I feel it could be tracked down, or at least as long as the registration was in place. Do expect to pay big bucks for it as these are in high demand, I'm talking $10,000 plus and that's for one not running and needs a complete rebuild.
See post #5. We're talking about a different kind of Love Bug, the towable, molded fiberglass kind.

The problem seems to be a lack of detailed information about the trailer, like photos and old title or registration papers. Assuming renovations have been done (likely after 20 years), there's really no telling one from another apart from VIN or serial numbers.

On the other hand, I'm more optimistic that it's still around somewhere.
Old 03-30-2020, 07:55 PM   #11

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Lets see, no year, no picture, no distinctive feature, no buyers name, no VIN #, sold 23 years ago.

Odds that the buyer in 1997 still has it: low.

Odds it is still alive somewhere? Fairly good. So you might get lucky with more information.

But then you have the question of buying it. Be prepared if you do find it to pay top dollar for it. Owner may have no interest in selling. At the right price (high), owner could get interested.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 11:56 PM   #12

Name: Bob
Trailer: Bigfoot
California
It would help to narrow down a search
Where was it sold?

Does he remember anything about who he sold it to, Where they lived?
And then as others have said, anything about it would help.
Where was it titled? color? any special features?
Those things are all going to be the things that will help turn the camper up.
squish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 02:16 PM   #13

Name: Gigi
Trailer: 1972 Lovebug 1970 Eriba Puck 1991 Mallard Sprinter Class C
Minnesota & Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Do you have any details that might distinguish one Lovebug from among the others? An old photograph, unusual mods, or especially a VIN number? 1997 is a long time ago and it could well have gone through multiple owners since then.

It’s a long shot, but it helps it’s not a really common make like Scamp.

I wish your friend success in the search!
Hiya, Jon!
Thank you for your response. My friend had his Lovebug "painted with airplane paint" making it glossy and bright. It was fairly original in its decor with few modifications. It was in great condition.

Dave is such a great guy. I'd love to see him reunited with his Lovebug!

Many thanks!
Artist Chic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 02:22 PM   #14

Minnesota & Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMA5 View Post
Hello,

I also agree that having photos, vin and year, would greatly help in your search! I have a lovebug.

Curious and interested in helping locate your friends camper.
Hi, Cheryl. As you have a Lovebug, you know how sweet they are!

Dave sold it to a couple in Colorado Springs. It was in excellent condition and original.

Dave grew up just 7 miles from the place his camper was built. He thoroughly enjoyed his camper and has many great memories with it.

Thanks so much! All help appreciated.
Old 03-31-2020, 02:28 PM   #15

Minnesota & Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmad1 View Post
He wants the original one. It will be a tough search and not very good odds of finding it, but maybe with a little luck...
Yes, Dick! You got it! He has a real attachment to his camper.

The odds...I met my good friend at our condo complex where we each have winter homes. I mentioned that Id love to bring my Lovebug camper down and he was stunned I had one. What are the odds we would each have one when there were so few made prior to the factory burning down?

I am willing to sell David MY beloved Lovebug but he really would love his.

Thanks for the support. I'm hoping the odds are with us!
Old 03-31-2020, 02:32 PM   #16

Minnesota & Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jann Todd View Post
Does he know who he sold it to? He can try Facebook also. I'm 50 miles from Colorado Springs and would put it on my FB if I see a post for it. Is it a trailer?
Jann, this is so nice! Knowing Dave, he would have records of the camper vin. I'm seeing him today and will ask.

Please post a photo on your FB page. The image Jon from AZ posted looks like Davids if you can grab that. Please let le know if you do post it?

Many thanks!
Old 03-31-2020, 02:37 PM   #17

Minnesota & Arizona
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
good luck. the odds of an already older trailer still being in existence 23 years later are slim at best. the odds of it still being in whatever shape it was in in 1997? even more good luck.

i'd suggest setting his sights on a readily available scamp or casita, and fixing it up to taste and CALLING it a lovebug
John, but it's a Lovebug! They are special! chkl. Actually, in all the models, I really do like the Lovebug. The inside has a nice rubber skin and they were made well.

My Lovebug is as old as his-only a few were made- and mine is pretty fab yet.
Old 03-31-2020, 02:42 PM   #18

Minnesota & Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by trainman View Post
I feel it could be tracked down, or at least as long as the registration was in place. Do expect to pay big bucks for it as these are in high demand, I'm talking $10,000 plus and that's for one not running and needs a complete rebuild. If your looking to find it at a cheap price I think your out of luck as people who have them setting on their property know what they are worth. This will give you and idea on where the value is. https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...w+bus&_sacat=0

trainman
trainman, thats so interesting you posted that. My Eriba Puck 1968 camper was made by VW. At the big auto show here in Scottsdale, they showed the vintage bus you posted paired with a camper like mine. It was appraised at $170,000 for the pair. The buses are just about as cute as my camper!

Thanks for posting!
Old 03-31-2020, 02:45 PM   #19

Minnesota & Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
See post #5. We're talking about a different kind of Love Bug, the towable, molded fiberglass kind.

The problem seems to be a lack of detailed information about the trailer, like photos and old title or registration papers. Assuming renovations have been done (likely after 20 years), there's really no telling one from another apart from VIN or serial numbers.

On the other hand, I'm more optimistic that it's still around somewhere.
Jon, you're so great! Thank you for posting this photo!

I share your faith! I believe it will be given back to David. 😊

Many thanks!

btw, I went out scouting to Cave Creek and found a gorgeous site! I hope to get my hitch on and get out this weekend! Are you getting out?
Old 03-31-2020, 02:47 PM   #20

Minnesota & Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrifty bill View Post
Lets see, no year, no picture, no distinctive feature, no buyers name, no VIN #, sold 23 years ago.

Odds that the buyer in 1997 still has it: low.

Odds it is still alive somewhere? Fairly good. So you might get lucky with more information.

But then you have the question of buying it. Be prepared if you do find it to pay top dollar for it. Owner may have no interest in selling. At the right price (high), owner could get interested.

Living in Faith, Bill! 😊 Thank you!

Tags
sold