Selling with Lien - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-16-2020, 05:36 AM   #1

Name: Amanda
Trailer: Scamp
Maryland
Selling with Lien

Has anyone sold their camper while still having a lien on it? I have the title but still owe and I am considering selling. I want to know what my options are before making my decision. TIA
Taz1005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 07:33 AM   #2

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Take out a short term loan and pay off the lien then sell the trailer free & clear
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 07:36 AM   #3

Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
Take out a short term loan and pay off the lien then sell the trailer free & clear

I have thought about that, but I would only want to do that if I can get at least the same interest in case my unit sits for awhile. I have the 19’ Scamp which can be a little harder to sell. Thanks for the advise.
Old 09-16-2020, 07:50 AM   #4

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Ask your lender.
I agree that selling free and clear is the best way but if you cannot or will not do that then your lender can advise you how to sell it with their lien involved. Generally the buyer pays off the loan to your lender as part of the transaction. The lien is released and so recorded on the title, then the buyer can apply for the new title. Now if the buyer is also financing then its more complicated. (PS.. I just have to say that I hate the idea of a loan on a luxury item.)
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 08:04 AM   #5

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Even if the interest rate is a few points higher- likely since it will be an unsecured loan- it may end up cheaper than the alternatives, which include using an escrow service or accepting a lower price and waiting for a buyer willing to work with you on the payoff.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 10:05 AM   #6

Name: Robert
Virginia
If your 19' Scamp is in good shape you should have no trouble selling it. Person to person used cars are sold with liens all of the time. Your lender should be able to walk you through this. Bert
bertherr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 10:48 AM   #7

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by bertherr View Post
If your 19' Scamp is in good shape you should have no trouble selling it. Person to person used cars are sold with liens all of the time. Your lender should be able to walk you through this. Bert
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 10:52 AM   #8

Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon2 View Post
Ask your lender.
I agree that selling free and clear is the best way but if you cannot or will not do that then your lender can advise you how to sell it with their lien involved. Generally the buyer pays off the loan to your lender as part of the transaction. The lien is released and so recorded on the title, then the buyer can apply for the new title. Now if the buyer is also financing then its more complicated. (PS.. I just have to say that I hate the idea of a loan on a luxury item.)

In Maryland you have the title in hand, but it is noted that it has a lien on it. Once it is paid off you are mailed a lien release paper similar to the title and when you sell you hand over both pieces of paper
Old 09-17-2020, 05:02 AM   #9

Maryland
Thank you everyone I have applied for a personal loan
Old 09-18-2020, 10:43 AM   #10

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Your title should be stamped LEAN and the lender has the title and you can not sell it without a release from the lender. Check with the lender company to work out a deal.

If you have a title that is not stamped Lean then you must have a personal loan.

Regardless, check with the lender first.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 11:15 AM   #11

Maryland
We looked at our title and in Maryland you always receive the title after purchase, but on the title is states their is a lien, it is not stamped. I have applied for a personal loan to pay off my camper loan. This will release the lien. Once Maryland receives notice the loan is paid off they will send me a lien release which goes with the title to the buyer.
Old 09-23-2020, 11:28 AM   #12

Name: Tom
Trailer: Amerigo
Wisconsin
Selling with a lien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taz1005 View Post
Has anyone sold their camper while still having a lien on it? I have the title but still owe and I am considering selling. I want to know what my options are before making my decision. TIA
Sell it as you would normally sell anything. If you lien holder is local go talk to them. If not local call them and ask them about selling it and if they have somebody in your area that can accept the payment and clear the lien from the title.

Once you find a buyer you "close" the deal how the lien holder wants. Your seller will appreciate knowing the lien has been satisfied and they will get a clear title. Who knows the buyer may need financing themselves, in that case steering them towards the people you have.

Attorneys, banks, title companies do this kind of work.
bigangelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 02:13 PM   #13

Trailer: 1999 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
50 states, 51 different sets of rules. Check with the DMV in your state.
Herb Sutton is offline   Reply With Quote