Seven in four... - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 12-09-2012, 07:23 AM   #21

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
Doing a little further reading it depends on the size of the rooftop ac unit.

Honda generators wattage chart guide

A 7000 btu unit would work fine, a 10,000 btu unit would be pushing it to its max...

but yamaha makes a 2400 watt unit...
deryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 07:32 AM   #22
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Jim, is it true the people of Elkhart are erecting a statue to honor your efforts in keeping the place alive? Good story, thanks for sharing. Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 09:56 AM   #23

Trailer: Trillium 4500
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by deryk View Post
Doing a little further reading it depends on the size of the rooftop ac unit.

Honda generators wattage chart guide

A 7000 btu unit would work fine, a 10,000 btu unit would be pushing it to its max...

but yamaha makes a 2400 watt unit...
Yes but look at the weight of the Yamaha. Might as well go for the Honda 3000 which is a fantastic generator and has electric start. Honda does make a smaller/lighter 3000 now but I don't have any "experience" with that one.

This is all just my opinion but the best way to use a Honda generator for an extended period of time is on the "ECO" setting for peak efficiency.
Steve Hammel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 09:59 AM   #24

Trailer: Trillium 4500
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by P. Raz View Post
Jim, is it true the people of Elkhart are erecting a statue to honor your efforts in keeping the place alive? Good story, thanks for sharing. Raz
I agree, what a journey at least you found your way home, or in your case found your home.
Steve Hammel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 09:59 AM   #25

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
JIm, was the slide actually made with a flaw that would cause the slide motors to continue burning out? I wonder, because just having a motor burn out one time would seem to suggest nothing more than a bum motor.[/QUOTE]

There is no manual back up for the dual motor electric slide, you have to unlock the motor in order to manually push in or out. Mine stopped working at my house and it was retracted. The only access to the motor while retracted was to tear off the exterior trim to gain access(design flaw, all they needed was an access panel) once unlocked you would have to wedge 2x4 inside to keep it from opening while towing, I'm not towing anything held together by a wedged 2x4. Both of my motors were replaced. Then the slide never retracted 100%, there was always a 2" gap at one end, no way of adjusting it.
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 10:54 AM   #26

Name: Doug
Trailer: Escape 19
Ontario
I've always been of the opinion that slides are a bad idea... Exactly because of problems like those experienced by cpaharley. I think a slide could be designed well (mostly problem free, and fail-safe when a problem does happen) but I have yet to hear of any "good" ones. I guess it's a difficult design challenge because of competing requirements (weight vs. strength).

It's too bad, because extra space in a trailer is never a bad thing. I'm not a claustrophile -- I like my elbow room.
dbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 10:58 AM   #27

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I have friends that were stranded in Montana for a full week, when one of the slides on their monster 5th wheel wouldn't retract. Between the repair bill to have someone drive 80 miles one way (had to make two round trips), the wife's plane fair back to Oregon so she could go back to work, the extra week of camping fees, etc. made me very glad I own a simple little all molded trailer!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 01:04 PM   #28

Name: Sue and Greg
Trailer: 1982 Burro 13 foot and a 2015 Casita Spitit Deluxe 17 ft.
Washington
Registry
Great story :-) I really enjoyed reading about the seven in four! I am with Donna. I love my little 13 footer and can't imagine switching - that said, I always go to the "for sale" section first on my fiberglass RV visits. (Don't tell Bennie the Burro - he gets so jealous!)
Sue and Henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 01:13 PM   #29
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D.
I have friends that were stranded in Montana for a full week, when one of the slides on their monster 5th wheel wouldn't retract. Between the repair bill to have someone drive 80 miles one way (had to make two round trips), the wife's plane fair back to Oregon so she could go back to work, the extra week of camping fees, etc. made me very glad I own a simple little all molded trailer!
Come on Donna, keeping your slide working is just another maintenance issue.
Attached Images

Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 03:09 PM   #30

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by P. Raz View Post
Come on Donna, keeping your slide working is just another maintenance issue.

Is that picture of the Trillium "with rear slide" for real?

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 03:37 PM   #31

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
Like the bump out, Raz. Is photoshop the licensed distributor?

Jack
rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 05:17 PM   #32

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
In our 45 years together we have had 4 campers, we still have 3 of them, and 2 of them get used regularly, the third is ready to use but hasn't been in a few years. Would we like something different, maybe, do we need something different, probably not.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 05:41 PM   #33

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
I haven't even had seven CARS...in my entire life!

I do wonder, though, if my poor consuming habits make me a bad American .

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 09:11 PM   #34

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by deryk View Post
Ive never seen that version of the tada! Ive seen the teardrop looking one and I was considering it except, no bathroom. I boondock at friends land and they have an outhouse... uh got stung on the nose by a wasp this year cause I happened to be the first person to use it this last spring. I figured I would be building another gypsy vardo and I swore the next one would be standup height and have a porta pottie in it. The shower will be nice to wash off the grime... and I will park further back then my friends cause I want a generator to power the ac if its ungodly hot... I usually had a 12 volt fan blowing down on me when I sleep but sometimes its just not enough.

I agree the aero dynamic shape makes it easier to tow.... the wind would ome over the roof of my rav4 and slam into the flat wall of my vardo and get hung up on the overhanged roof. I thought the next one the door would be on the back and put a "bay window" in to try to spread the drag lol. I think I just want a scamp and keep it simple.

deryk
You're thinkin' of the T@B
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 09:37 PM   #35

Name: Mike
Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Oklahoma
Wow, that does sound like a crazy poorly designed slideout. And no manual crank backup... that's inexcusable. No wonder you got rid of it.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 08:22 AM   #36

Pennsylvania
Registry
Footnote to this post, make it "8 in five" as I'm on the 2 foot itis list for a new2014 Escape 21, it will have features I did not have in my Escape 19 as well as features I had but did not use in my Escape 19'. Updates to follow.
Old 09-04-2013, 05:09 PM   #37

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Your best bet for running an air conditioner with small portable generator is to get a pair of Honda 2000s and the parallel cable and extended runtime gas can set up. They can handle an air conditioner and something else working at the same time and when you are in cooler weather you leave one home and have a generator for electrical needs or a quick one or two hour battery top off during the least obnoxious time of day. The larger 3000 is great, don't get me wrong, but the paired set up seems to be a really good way to go without slipping a disc.
MillerK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 07:34 PM   #38

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
I have a Yamaha ef2400is and full of fuel its around 95lbs. I can carry it a short distance but it does get heavy. I know eventually I want a pickup truck and would look into a welded enclosure that could be bolted down and keep it in there.

The Yamaha easily runs my 5000 watt generator at less then a 25% load. I have run the microwave once at the same time and it did rev up for a few moments but backed right down. When traveling I store it in the doorwaywith the side of my galler to the left and the closet to the right it sits in their nicely... with just a few feet to move it to the tongue to chain it and hook it up.

Where do the rest of ya's keep the generator while traveling?

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.... J.R.R. Tolkien
deryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 07:36 PM   #39

Pennsylvania
Registry
If you guys wish to continue this generator thread, I can certainly start a new one under that subject if you like. Let me know, otherwise back to the subject of the thread.