Shakedown Trip - DONE! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-10-2012, 04:14 PM   #1

Name: gary
Trailer: 16' 1998 Scamp
Minnesota
Registry
Shakedown Trip - DONE!

Now I know why they call it a "shakedown" cruise. Things, well... things "shake down". Total trip: 4,617 miles of which around 3,200 were in the Scamp.

Major Stuff:
  • Hydraulic tongue lift (remember that? Kinda at a weird angle??) got taken out by a way too tall speed bump. Got it replaced.
    • Got a 3" higher ball hitch at the same time. The trailer how rides level and the bottom of the lift is 3" higher than the bottom of the hitch.
  • Drain hose popped off the bottom of the shower. Crappy repair job done by someone in the past. I'll fix it with some JB Water Weld and Silicone Goop.
  • Prodigy brake system reading "not connected". The trailer brakes worked fine, and I really didn't want to spend time screwing around with trying to find a U-Haul place that actually knew how to fix the controller. U-Haul Corporate kept sending us to places that didn't have a clue. I'll just bring it back to the place we got it from.
Middle-Major Stuff:
  • Refrigerator door kept popping off. Temporary fix with Our Friend Mr. Duct Tape. I've got some permanent ideas on this one.
  • Door to toilet/shower popped off. Piano hinge screws going into the door all pulled out. Fix will be longer screws and gorilla glue injected into the existing screw holes.
  • Minor water leak at the edge of the back window. All the other windows had a bead of sealant. I'll add that to the back.
  • Role-out awning legs popped out. The whole assembly is all wangy now. I haven't bothered too look at it to see what I need to do. Duct tape provided a temporary fix.
Minor Stuff:
  • Pipe fittings not snug. The compression fittings going into the shower leaked. Snugged up and all was OK.
  • Screws popping out of various things, such as heater cover. Lock-Tite should take care of that.
Mods coming up:
  • Replace all incandescent bulbs with LED bulbs. They are wending their way to me from China now.
  • Install 12' LED strip light on door-side under awning. I've got the strip, but am going to wait until I get the awning fixed.
All in all it was a great trip! Even in 100+ heat the AC worked like a champ.

I'll be posting some camping reviews, pictures, and the like after I catch up on two and a half weeks of work. Those pesky customers!
fusedlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 05:05 PM   #2
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Funny how that stuff happens. Last fall on a trip west Maggie went into the camper to make lunch and found the closet door on the floor. Duct tape...don't leave home without it. Good post. Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 08:17 AM   #3

Name: gary
Trailer: 16' 1998 Scamp
Minnesota
Registry
Forgot to say...

TV is a 2008 Toyota V6 Rav4. Without the Scamp we get around 20-25 MPG with the Scamp we were hitting 15-18 MPG. No overheating at all. On the open road we averaged 58-60 MPH. There was some slight swaying, and the occasional oscillating up-and-down (thank you Wisconsin Dept of Hwys... nice roads ya got there).
fusedlight is offline   Reply With Quote