Ship scamp from east coast to west coast - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-31-2016, 07:49 PM   #1

Name: G K
Trailer: Scamp
Virginia
Ship scamp from east coast to west coast

Hello all,

We are moving from DC to San Francisco, and just bought our new scamp last year which we want to bring with us. I am trying to avoid towing it myself. Does anyone have any experience in shipping scamp cross country ? Would love to hear any tips and how to go about finding a company that does transport a camper. Also any thoughts on how much it might cost ?

Thanks
G
reachg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 08:21 PM   #2

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Registry
Try this site

You should be able to get it across country for about $500

RV Transport Made Easy | uShip

(2) Big Green Eggs for cooking..(1) Egg for camping
BillE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 08:24 PM   #3

Name: Dave & Karen
Trailer: 2014 Casita SD 17FT
Maryland
You beat me to it, i was also gonna recommend Uship.
Old 01-31-2016, 08:41 PM   #4
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
Another vote for UShip. I've used them twice for travel trailers and 3 times to ship antique tractors.

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: https://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 08:43 PM   #5

Name: G K
Trailer: Scamp
Virginia
Thank you all. Will give them a try. $500 seems very low, but I am not complaining
reachg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 08:47 PM   #6
Commercial Member

Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by reachg View Post
Thank you all. Will give them a try. $500 seems very low, but I am not complaining
Shipped a Casita from Denver Colorado to Portland Oregon in winter and the bill was $900. Gave the trucker a $50 tip on top of that.

Old 01-31-2016, 09:26 PM   #7
Commercial Member

Name: Mike
Trailer: Boler13/trillium4500/buro13
Ontario
The problem shipping a trailer is you will need a specific type of transport with a centre track for the tounge wheel. This will increase your cost considerably
Mikmay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 09:31 PM   #8

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
You just need to be concerned if your trailer is being shipped on a flat bed, or is being towed behind a motor vehicle. Whatever your comfort level is for whatever you're paying...

Best of luck
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 10:04 PM   #9

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
I don't know about shipping a trailer but I want to say "Welcome to San Francisco, my hometown!". Another question you might want to ask is "Where can I store my trailer?". If you want to discuss this, send me a PM, private message.
Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 10:34 PM   #10
Commercial Member

Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
You just need to be concerned if your trailer is being shipped on a flat bed, or is being towed behind a motor vehicle. Whatever your comfort level is for whatever you're paying...

Best of luck
The $900 for shipping my Casita was on a flatbed trailer. The trucker just winched it up backwards onto the flatbed, then when we met at a large parking lot I just backed my truck up onto the flatbed, hitched up the trailer, and drove off. Super simple.

Old 01-31-2016, 11:18 PM   #11

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by tractors1 View Post
The $900 for shipping my Casita was on a flatbed trailer. The trucker just winched it up backwards onto the flatbed, then when we met at a large parking lot I just backed my truck up onto the flatbed, hitched up the trailer, and drove off. Super simple.
That sounds like a sweet and easy way to get it off the trailer Charlie. How did the hitch wheel work out, any damage? I think maybe having a jack stand with a ball on top locked into the coupler would stand up to the motion better than the wheel or wood cribbing under the coupler. I probably over thinking it.....
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 12:15 AM   #12
Commercial Member

Oregon
No wood cribbing or hitch wheel. Trucker just put down the hitch jack and strapped down the Casita frame to the trailer. No problem.

Old 02-01-2016, 09:26 AM   #13

Trailer: Escape 19 ft 2010
Registry
I often hear a rate of $1 per mile, that may just be someone's rough estimate. If you go the uShip route you have to decide if you want a licensed and insured carrier or someone providing the service without either. The license is a federal motor carrier and the insurance is usually a certificate of insurance the carrier will provide. If you have it shipped check with your insurance to see what coverage you have.

I am not favoring one carrier over the other, just showing the difference.
Paul Braun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 11:14 AM   #14

Trailer: Sold Bigfoot. Shopping for Arctic Fox 22G
Missouri
It is 2,800+ miles from DC to San Francisco. The maximum legal length for a semi trailer is 53 feet. The maximum legal height for a load is 13.5 feet. A regular flatbed deck is in the area of 54 inches off the ground. I don't know how long or how tall your trailer is but it would take up that amount of room on a trailer deck. I doubt that three of them could be put on a 53 foot trailer. It would also probably result in an over height load unless the trailer was a "drop deck" trailer. Those have deck heights of 32 to 40 inches. Hiring a semi is going to cost well over $2.00 per mile. If you can find an LTL (less than truck load) carrier they could transport your partial load and find another partial load of some kind of freight going the same direction. You pay a premium for LTL freight. If you can get it done for $1.00 per mile you will be very lucky. With gas prices low and if you get 13 to 14 miles per gallon you could make the trip for around $400 fuel costs. I would tow it myself, stay at truck stops, Wal-Marts, state parks, etc, and make it a fun enjoyable trip.
Bruce H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 12:16 PM   #15

Name: To Infinity & Beyond!
Trailer: 1985 Uhaul VT-16 Vacationer, 1957 Avion R20 & 1977 Argosy 6.0 Minuet
Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Braun View Post
If you go the uShip route you have to decide if you want a licensed and insured carrier or someone providing the service without either. The license is a federal motor carrier and the insurance is usually a certificate of insurance the carrier will provide.
This is the problem with USHIP and why PROFESSIONALS DO NOT USE "USHIP". Insured, not insured, licensed, no license, no feedback, in "business" today not tomorrow and everything else. Ship with someone not licensed, with no cargo insurance and your load could be stopped, shut down and worse case confiscated as the person with whom you are shipping is running on his personal truck tags trying to make extra money when in the eyes of the Motor Carrier Enforcement is COMMERCIAL as they are hauling for commerce (Money)!

Cargo insurance is EXPENSIVE ($5K-$10K/year) so therefore some one man show operations will not carry cargo insurance and no your comprehensive/collision insurance IF you even carry that on your trailer may not cover your trailer and your homeowners is not going to cover your trailer being hauled by a person you are PAYING (Commerce) to transport your trailer. It's the transporters responsibility to proved CARGO insurance not you the trailer owner. Besides let's just say your one man show transporter is hauling or pulling your trailer to you and is involved in an accident caused by the transporter in which there is bodily injury to the other parties involved in the accident. Your transporter LIES to his insurance company saying he is pulling a trailer he just bought from YOU (that's what the one many show transporter will want YOU to say that you sold them this trailer) so his personal insurance will cover the accident claim. Let's say the bodily injury claim from the people the transporter injured in this accident is GREATER than his personal liability coverage limits. In that case the injured party will sue the transporter for the difference between what the transporters insurance company will pay (limits of liability on the transporters personal policy) AND just might investigate YOU the trailer seller to see if you really did sell that trailer to this transporter or was this a FRAUD perpetuated by both parties to defraud the insurance company. The injured parties insurance investigator or private investigator might also look on USHIP and find out that this guy has been transporting trailers, cars or whatever else for "commerce" and therefore figure out there was a commercial transport agreement between BOTH OF YOU and therefore sue BOTH OF YOU for the damages caused by YOUR unlicensed and improperly insured transporter with whom YOU contracted to transport YOUR trailer. This is a "Worst Case Scenario" however it IS possible!

Transport Professionals use Central Dispatch which is an industry internet transport board of which you must be a member. This is where all the truckers, industry brokers, car dealers, equipment dealers and RV dealers post their loads for transport and accept the legal contract for shipment.

On Central Dispatch you can see anything and everything about a transport company contacting you about hauling your load. Feedback, insurance claims, DOT inspections and more are all available for review. No bidding like USHIP you just post your load, location and a price you are willing to pay. A trucker, trucking company or transporter contacts you to accept or discuss the load and agree on a price and you assign that load to that carrier.

All I would strongly suggest to those shipping on USHIP is to fully understand the "legal liability" you may have to accept based upon the transporter with whom YOU make an agreement to haul YOUR property!
vintageracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 11:06 PM   #16

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
I have a buddy in town who is a hotshot delivery driver. He has a CDL, a diesel pickup and 40' flatbed gooseneck trailer, and his own DOT authority number. I don't think he usually will haul anything for less than $2.30/mile. Before going that route he delivered RVs for a couple of months, I think the standard industry pay was around $1.40/mile, and he says now it was a good way to slowly go broke.

If you could get your trailer hauled as part of a larger load, thus splitting the cost, maybe you'd have a shot at $1/mile... maybe. And I'm not sure you could do that.

The other thing you could hope for would be a west coast driver who has a load to haul to the east coast, and is looking for a back-haul to defray the cost of the return trip. Sometimes they will do it for a low price because they have to go that way anyhow. This usually works best if you're very flexible about when the trailer gets hauled.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 02:04 AM   #17

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
G K, I had a car shipped from the Midwest to SoCal a number of years ago. Not sure if it's the same now but I was told the price was higher going E to W than shipping East. Any chance to pick it up on the way west?
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 09:22 AM   #18

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
I finally dug up the info. The Scamp 19D I bought was delivered from the factory in Backus to the Atlantic shore of Delaware for $2000, in summer 2012. I believe it was towed there by one of the Scamp drivers. I think most other estimates provided here are in line with this. No, not cheap.
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp