Should I Fix the GTO to tow a Scamp? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-31-2013, 06:49 PM   #1

Name: Roger
Trailer: Nomad
Nevada
Should I Fix the GTO to tow a Scamp?

This is a off the wall conversation. I moved to this desolate town out in the boon docks in Nevada. I moved here and quit doing things I used to do. I have a 65 GTO that has been in moth ball for a very long time. I was thinking just last week about somthing off the wall to do.
Get the GTO back on the road its needs a lot of work ideed. Have a special receiver made to bolt on the frame then wire a four prong connector and start looking for one of them Scamp trailers I was thinking a 17 footer. Get it all fixed up and hook it up to the GTO and head to the Oregon coast. I have been thinking about this a lot since last week everybody would think I was nuts driving down the freeway with a GTO and my scamp on the back. Will the GTO tow a 17 foot scamp trailer?
I can't do it this year to late and the GTO needs to much work. I don't know anything about these trailers so this is where I need your help. Not getting any younger and the years are going by way to fast. Did I mention its a convertible? I just think that would so cool to drop the top and cruise down the coast highway. There is a place called Long Beach Washington and certain times of the year you can take your car or truck on the beach its like 20 somthing miles long. I have always thought it would be cool to hit the beach with the top down and tear it up in the GTO! Drive my gas guzzling GTO all the way to the coast with a big grin on my face......................
I know I am nuts!

SHOULD I DO IT GUYS?
RV NUT CASE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 07:18 PM   #2

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Better yet is the "sea to shining sea trip", start with your rear wheels in one ocean and end up with the front wheels in the water on the other coast, and no we haven't done it yet. Read an article years ago written by a guy that did do it when he had a terminal disease. I think the tongue weight of a 16 or 17' trailer might be too much for the GTO, I'd do it with a teardrop or small vintage Scotty camper.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 07:28 PM   #3

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Welcome to FGRV, Roger. It is neat to have 65 GTO as your tow vehicle, unfortunately you may be limited to 13' Scamp if you have the 4 pin set up. Anything bigger will need brakes and a 7 pin set up. You may also need air bags in the GTO rear end. Please post some pictures also, we love them here.
Old 08-31-2013, 07:28 PM   #4

Nevada
I was thinking first of a 13 foot scamp. The Scotty would be cool. Arent those trailer have the highfront end that grabs all the wind? I had an old Road runner trailer years ago a 15 footer and it was like pullingt a parachute down the road. Even in my 3/4 ton GMC I the drag was so bad I didnt need the brakes of the truck going down canyons. Just a question mind you. Thats a good idea if I had deep pockets but I don't the trip to the Oregon coast would be very expensive indeed. So what about a 13 foot scamp?
Old 08-31-2013, 07:36 PM   #5

Name: Chris
Trailer: Scamp
Washington
Registry
why not?

we're getting our 68 skylark ready to tow our 77 13-ft scamp next year. haven't finished either of them yet. just started this spring. we think we'll have fun cruising to see friends, family and enjoying the drive as well as the destination.
christopherm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 07:41 PM   #6

Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Welcome to FGRV, Roger. It is neat to have 65 GTO as your tow vehicle, unfortunately you may be limited to 13' Scamp if you have the 4 pin set up. Anything bigger will need brakes and a 7 pin set up. You may also need air bags in the GTO rear end. Please post some pictures also, we love them here.

I had already thought of a brake controler if I had a bigger trailer and also air shocks to raise the rear end up. It is already plumbed for it. With old school single master cylinder oh and no power brakes, yeah you better go with electric brakes.

I can remember when I was a kid people would get their Cadilacs , Lincolns and the nine passenger station wagons back up to the 20 foot travel trailer and take off for the weekend gettaway with four or five kids in the back. Nobody even thought a thing about it. It was common to see passenger cars towing full size trailers. $65,000 Power Stroke who needed them, When you had a 375 hp 440 mag under the hood with your Chrysler station wagon.

Thanks for the support guys this is what I need the Old Goat has sat way to long:{ I guess that goes for both Old Goats !LOL
Old 08-31-2013, 07:45 PM   #7

Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by christopherm View Post
why not?

We're getting our 68 skylark ready to tow our 77 13-ft scamp next year. Haven't finished either of them yet. Just started this spring. We think we'll have fun cruising to see friends, family and enjoying the drive as well as the destination. :d
cool!
Old 08-31-2013, 08:19 PM   #8

Name: Chuck
Trailer: Scamp 16 Deluxe
Washington
65 GTO convertible with a 4 speed 389 V8? hooYEAH! This is too cool ... Get a brake controller and a 7 pin harness, have electric brakes on the Scamp and you are good to go!

Watch out for soft spots in the sand at Long Beach, though.

Let us know when you're on your way!

c
beardrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 08:38 PM   #9

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Be sure to include a new set of tires for your GTO.... It sounds like the ones on it will be well over the 6yr safe life, and adding a trailer will put that much more load on everything.

Hope you have a big budget as well.... I'll bet it will take at least $2-3k to get that GTO back in "Safe" condition..... Ya gotta remember, that one was built back when 100,000 miles was quitting time for cars and if you didn't quit then, they would.

Good Luck

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 10:11 PM   #10

Nevada
I found out a long time what GTO stand for.............. GET TOOLS OUT LOL! Years ago I put thousands of dollars in this engine and in the car I know its sat a lot time and you just have to start all over. You want to see somthing finicky? Have a souped up engine with the old three duces on it from the factory you will get really good at getting tools out on a set of carbs that are almost 50 years old. I wouldn't give them up for nothing. There is nothing like popping the hood and seeing three carbs. So I will just keep getting those tools out. Yeah I will even go down the road with my scamp with my three duces. I hope I can put this together? I like the positive reponses you guys have given me. I have only been on here since this after noon and already starting to like you guys!
Old 09-01-2013, 05:55 AM   #11

Trailer: 1971 Boler
Registry
I don't know if I would tow with a convertible tho, is there not too much body flex. I remember sitting in the back seat of a Mercury Cougar convertible a long time ago and watching the door gap open and close every time we went over a bump.
Rick Mooyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 07:14 AM   #12

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
If I had a nice GTO or any other classic car I would not take it on the beach. Too many chances to get stuck in the loose sand. Get stuck, and the tide comes in, and watch the ocean take your car.

The beach entrance in the town of Longbeach is improved and maintained. The others are just sand. OK for 4 wheel drive but not so good for cars.

Every year the Beach Barons car club host the "End of the World Rod Run". Lots of classic cars. It's a wonderful event held the weekend after Labor Day. I've enjoyed it many times.
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 08:38 AM   #13

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
If I had a 1965 GTO convertible in good condition I'd sell it, take the cash, buy a used tow vehicle and used fiberglass trailer and travel for a year around America.

I would be shocked if an approaching 4000 lb GTO with it's huge engine couldn't tow a 13-16 foot fiberglass trailer with ease, just don't drive like you're racing. If it doesn't tow well, you can easily sell a GTO in good condition, actually the market for those in poor condition isn't bad either.

1965 GTO Specifications - UltimateGTO.com

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 09:36 AM   #14

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
I have deleted an offending post and a response, let's try and keep it on point, thank you
Old 09-01-2013, 09:44 AM   #15

Nevada
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Mooyman View Post
I don't know if I would tow with a convertible tho, is there not too much body flex. I remember sitting in the back seat of a Mercury Cougar convertible a long time ago and watching the door gap open and close every time we went over a bump.
The cougar has a uni body construction my GTO has a full separte steel frame that is lot more ridged and stronger. Infact the frame on this car is even wider and stronger than a standard hard top. Were talking Detroit AMERICAN MADE STEEL ! If I had a Cougar there is no way I would even think about towing anything.

Ok so who eles is going to tell me this wont work? The GTO has sat a long time and I am trying to get motivated to put it back on the road and buying a Scamp trailer. You guys today are not helping!

So anybody eles going to get out their 12 gauge pump and blast away at my idea and tell me it wont work? I get a bunch of positive reponses yesterday and to day everybody has the handle ready to flush my dreams down the drain. Did everybody get off the wrong side of the bed today?
Old 09-01-2013, 09:52 AM   #16

Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
If I had a 1965 GTO convertible in good condition I'd sell it, take the cash, buy a used tow vehicle and used fiberglass trailer and travel for a year around America.

I would be shocked if an approaching 4000 lb GTO with it's huge engine couldn't tow a 13-16 foot fiberglass trailer with ease, just don't drive like you're racing. If it doesn't tow well, you can easily sell a GTO in good condition, actually the market for those in poor condition isn't bad either.

1965 GTO Specifications - UltimateGTO.com
I have a 3/4 ton pickup already and very nice Nomad 22 foot trailer. Don't need to sell the GTO. I would never sell it. I have had it since I was 22 and brought it up from a rolling shell to what it was back in the day. I am ashamed to see it now. But I think you are correct about towing one of these trailers but I am not sure becasue I am used to towing a standard travel trailer. I know nothing about these fiberglass trailers that is why I wanted to get on here and ask for your wisdom on this because I just don't know? I think I would prefer the 16 foot its along 3 foot longer and cant weigh that much more? I just dont know? thit is where I need you guys. This is somthing way out of my comfort range.
Old 09-01-2013, 10:00 AM   #17

Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack L View Post
If I had a nice GTO or any other classic car I would not take it on the beach. Too many chances to get stuck in the loose sand. Get stuck, and the tide comes in, and watch the ocean take your car.

The beach entrance in the town of Longbeach is improved and maintained. The others are just sand. OK for 4 wheel drive but not so good for cars.

Every year the Beach Barons car club host the "End of the World Rod Run". Lots of classic cars. It's a wonderful event held the weekend after Labor Day. I've enjoyed it many times.
Well I thought about this so many times and the old saying hey you only live once!

I read an article this year in the AARP mag and this article talked about getting out of your rutt and doing somthing different. A man took his kids and family to a third world country and volunteered for 3 months. He and his family had a blast! They loved it!

The article also had a few paragraphs about a Doctor that had been with some patents in their last 15 to 20 minutes of life and every one of those paitents said the same thing. Do you know what they said and had?

Regrets Regrets for not taking that trip regrets for not doing some things that they had planned and never did. But by then it was too late they only had moments to live.

I am in such a huge rutt right now. I am in a town that has a lot of jerks and its not a very freindly town . I would like to get out of this rut and if it means takig my GTO out on the beach with the top down hey why the hell not ? I got AAA!

Ben Franklin said it best. If you say if you can or can't your right!
Old 09-01-2013, 10:04 AM   #18

Suitability and Safety of Tow Vehicles are popular topics hereabouts and one can always be certain to get some critical comments.

I really doubt if there are many hereabouts qualified to comment on the suitability and safety of towing with an almost 50 y.o. vehicle, especially one admitted to have been neglected for some time. I'd almost bet you would get better answers about towing anything on a GTO oriented site, as I am sure someone would be there who has done just that.

If it's about specific trailers, we are a wealth of knowledge, but 50 y.o. tow vehicles, especially those less often seen, are a different story.

BTW: Towing a 17' FGRV would be a lot easier than towing that Nomad you mentioned for several reasons including weight, frontal area, and shape.

Old 09-01-2013, 10:08 AM   #19

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Quote:
Originally Posted by RV NUT CASE View Post
I know nothing about these fiberglass trailers that is why I wanted to get on here and ask for your wisdom on this because I just don't know? I think I would prefer the 16 foot its along 3 foot longer and cant weigh that much more? I just dont know? thit is where I need you guys. This is somthing way out of my comfort range.
Opinions are one thing, a few facts help you make up your own mind. This is why I weighed people's trailers at rallys to build up a database of what these things actually weigh loaded for use:
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...rld-43010.html

According to the link, the lightest 13' Scamp weighed 1,620 pounds, and the heaviest 13' Scamp weighed 1,950 pounds.

The lightest 16' Scamp weighed 2,520 pounds, and the heaviest 16' Scamp weighed 2,800 pounds.

Does anything listed on that spreadsheet fall within your comfort range?
Old 09-01-2013, 10:11 AM   #20

And.... does anyone on the planet know what the safe tow rating limit might be for a 1964 GTO in 2013?????

Tags
scamp