Sienna Tow Mirrors? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-31-2011, 03:45 PM   #1

Trailer: 2008 20 ft Flagstaff Pop-Up (206ST) / 2005 Sienna
Sienna Tow Mirrors?

Hello! Has anybody found a good set of tow mirrors for the Sienna? I've read were vibrating to the point of being useless is a problem for clip ons sometimes. So is falling off or coming out of adjustment. Being an import there dont seem to be a lot of options. I guess minivans aren't usually thought of as tow vehicles. Just wondering if anybody found a set they love for theirs.
Old 03-31-2011, 03:55 PM   #2

Trailer: 2005 13 ft Scamp / 2004 Honda Odyssey
Melissa,

My husband doesn't feel the need for tow mirrors with our minivan and trailer. Depending on how much wider your trailer is from the Scamp....

Sometimes just a slight adjustment in steering will let you see what is close behind.

I think the rule is you should see 200 feet behind you. We don't quite make the cut, but still feel comfortable with our stock mirrors.

Nancy
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 03:51 AM   #3

Trailer: 1973 Compact Jr and 1980 Bigfoot 17 ft
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Tom Trostel Send a message via MSN to Tom Trostel
As Nancy said, it depends on the width of the trailer behind your Sienna. Our Compact Jr is 6 feet wide and no extra mirrors are needed to see around it. Our Bigfoot is 8 feet wide and totally blocks vision straight back. After trying several strap-on mirrors that didn't work well, I found a set of McKesh mirrors on eBay for $35 and they are the best. If they ever need replacement, I would not hesitate buying a new set for the $155 list price.

McKesh Mirrors
Old 04-01-2011, 04:06 AM   #4

Trailer: Compact Jr 1972
Recommend McKesh for removable mirrors too

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Trostel View Post
As Nancy said, it depends on the width of the trailer behind your Sienna. Our Compact Jr is 6 feet wide and no extra mirrors are needed to see around it. Our Bigfoot is 8 feet wide and totally blocks vision straight back. After trying several strap-on mirrors that didn't work well, I found a set of McKesh mirrors on eBay for $35 and they are the best. If they ever need replacement, I would not hesitate buying a new set for the $155 list price.

McKesh Mirrors

I've got a Compact Jr. also!, but not a Sienna. But from the experience I've had, one THINKS they have a nice view of what's behind then they try a good tow mirror and wow!, there was a lot more back there!, especially right on one's bumper.

At any rate, I'd like to put a plug in for the McKesh mirrors. I went directly to the manufacturer's website and ordered them there. I ordered practically all the mirrors you can get on them, and I've never been sorry. My friend's "rubber band" mirrors pop off every now and then; the only problem I've had is rattling when on the big road-trip--I resorted to duct-tape to handle that. (What else?)
Attached Thumbnails
Trailer Mirrors and Cory, Boise, by Mel M. 9-1-08 001.jpg  
Cory Hilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 10:55 AM   #5

Regarding the straps on the McKesh, I read where they can rub the paint on your vehicle. Did you find this true and how did you combat the problem?
Old 04-01-2011, 11:55 AM   #6

Registry
I've had no problems with the straps or hardware marring the finish. There are rubber pads on the hook that fits under the door and on the metal piece that the strap goes through and the extension arm attaches. As long as the rubber is in good shape, no marring should occur. The straps are nylon webbing and don't move when tightened.
Old 04-01-2011, 12:00 PM   #7

Thanks! These are going to the top of my list since I'll be traveling all summer cross country. I wonder if the people complaining about the marring either tightened down too much and so dug into the finish or not enough so they vibrated around. They said even the detail shop couldnt buff it out
Old 04-01-2011, 12:22 PM   #8

Trailer: Boler 1984
I have a strap-on that I have used with a Safarri Van, a Dodge Dakota pickup and presently with our Highlander. By crossing the straps I feel that it stays tighter and since it's only used to see if there is somthing behindthe trailer in the blind spot, I haven't had a problem with whatever vibration is present.
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 12:32 PM   #9

Thanks James, are you using the McKesh also?

Quote:
Originally Posted by james kent View Post
I have a strap-on that I have used with a Safarri Van, a Dodge Dakota pickup and presently with our Highlander. By crossing the straps I feel that it stays tighter and since it's only used to see if there is somthing behindthe trailer in the blind spot, I haven't had a problem with whatever vibration is present.
Old 04-01-2011, 12:48 PM   #10

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
the CIPA clones are Cipa TEMPORARY DOOR MOUNT TOWING MIRRORS - JCWhitney but I think i would pay more for the others.

Edit: i see amazon has the CIPA clone too. Anyone know where to get black color straps for the McKesh?
Ken C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 07:21 PM   #11

Registry
Ken,
I spray painted the McKesh straps flat black.

1980 Bigfoot :: NW New Mexico picture by tomNjo - Photobucket
Old 04-03-2011, 10:35 AM   #12

Trailer: 76 Honey Neonex Boler
Registry
I would also recommend McKesh mirrors. I was able to find them while they were on sale and have not regretted it. I have not noticed any marring on the finish of my vehicle, just make sure it is clean before attaching the mirrors.

Having these mirrors have definitely made backing up into camping spots much easier.

Karen
Karen L W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 07:29 PM   #13

Name: Robin
Trailer: Big Foot
California
Hi Melissa, have you considered an inexpensive wireless cctv for the rear view? At one time Costco sold a fairly inexpensive set up. There are multiple solutions out there including baby monitor types that you could mount in your trailer's rear window.
bfrq25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 07:34 PM   #14

Ya, I was actually thinking about a backup camera today. Not sure if I'd still need mirrors to see down the sides or now. Will have to see how much wider the trailer is when hooked up to my van.