Sim card for travel to Canada - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-16-2019, 07:40 AM   #21

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
I have always avoided a different SIM card or picking up a cheap phone when travelling, assuming that it gives you a different phone number which would be a royal pain if nobody knew what number to call. I would be having to constantly check phone and SMS to see.

Seriously, since our Telus services work south exactly as they do in Canada, for us this is the best scenario. Text, calls and data all working and costing the same when travelling.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 11:12 AM   #22

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
I have always avoided a different SIM card or picking up a cheap phone when travelling, assuming that it gives you a different phone number which would be a royal pain if nobody knew what number to call. I would be having to constantly check phone and SMS to see.

Seriously, since our Telus services work south exactly as they do in Canada, for us this is the best scenario. Text, calls and data all working and costing the same when travelling.
Hi: Jim Bennett... Buying a cheap phone has its pitfalls. What if a "Business" lady owned the number before you? You'd get some interesting calls!!!
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 11:14 AM   #23

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alf S. View Post
Hi: Jim Bennett... Buying a cheap phone has its pitfalls. What if a "Business" lady owned the number before you? You'd get some interesting calls!!!
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf, are you thinking of a way of funding retirement?
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 07:13 PM   #24

Name: Barb
Trailer: Casita
Colorado
I was able to keep my number. Google Fi is new. I used it in Japan and got amazing service and $20/month is a steal. $10/gig data, up to 6 gig then data is free!!! Most you will pay is $80/month if you stream amd use 6 gigs of data.
BarbsMidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2022, 08:56 AM   #25

Name: Kenneth
Trailer: In the market
Illinois
Suppose you constantly need to log out of your phone or various sites with two-factor authentication enabled during driveways.
harrisonsandoval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2022, 10:16 AM   #26

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
We contacted our carrier (AT&T) and added Canadian coverage to our plan for one month. Easy!

I missed this thread back in 2019 because we were in Canada at the time!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2022, 08:06 AM   #27

Name: Kenneth
Trailer: In the market
Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by harrisonsandoval View Post
Suppose you constantly need to log out of your phone or various sites with two-factor authentication enabled during driveways.
In that case, you can use a fake phone number generator instead of buying a new SIM card every time. If you want to have always a single phone number known to all your friends and relatives but don't want to pin this phone number on social media like Facebook, then the generator is also suitable for this purpose. Many people use this thing so that no SMS spammer can find their phone number and get to their private messages. I wouldn't say I like being inundated with unnecessary and inappropriate advertising.td {border: 1px solid #ccc;}br {mso-data-placement:same-cell;}
harrisonsandoval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2024, 12:57 PM   #28

Name: Jenny
Trailer: Currently Shopping
New York
In such scenarios, opting for a virtual number provider can be a more convenient alternative to purchasing a new SIM card each time. This approach allows you to maintain a consistent phone number for friends and family while avoiding the need to share this number on social media platforms (or any other kind of platform). It's a popular strategy if you wish to keep your phone number out of the reach of SMS spammers and protect your private messages.
jjcontrerasbbc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2024, 06:57 AM   #29

Name: Jonathan
Trailer: ex-Casita, now Alto R series
Massachusetts
Use caution if considering clicking on the linked text in the prior post. I got threat alert and the connection was aborted due to it being identified as infected.

A search for "SMS PIN Verify" shows it is based in Russia (something dot RU). Not by itself a worry, but in conjunction with the threat alert it was enough that I kept clear.
Attached Thumbnails
Capture.JPG  
Old 03-14-2024, 06:43 PM   #30

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Check Red Flag Deals

Posting this as a PSA.
RedFlagDeals is a Canadian deal forum that has a cell phone/ plan category.

https://forums.redflagdeals.com/hot-deals-f9/?c=5121

There are many prepaid plans that would be suitable for someone traveling to Canada. You may need a Canadian to help you figure out what would be best for you. Different providers have better coverage in different provinces /areas.

I should note that there have been some good deals on Canada/USA plans this year (2023/2024).

There is also a forum section that will give info in current esims and travelling.
https://forums.redflagdeals.com/cell-phones-f88/
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote