Sitting on a Pot of Gold? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-24-2020, 01:41 PM   #1

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Sitting on a Pot of Gold?

I realize these are prime locations, but when I clicked on the ads, I did expect something pretty special.

2000 Scamp 13 $12,500

1979 Scamp 13 $11,500

What do you think? Flippers trying to make a buck off the recent run-up in prices?

Can I find a safe-deposit box big enough for my Scamp?
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 03:15 PM   #2

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Sellers are counting on the 12 + month backlog right now at Scamp. Dreamland pricing, but one is in CA. You never know what someone there may pay.

Does appear what used to be in the $5,000 to $6,000 price range is now more like $7,000 to $8,000.

Manufacturers are also pushing new prices up. Glad I am not looking right now.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 03:45 PM   #3

Name: Dave
Trailer: 2013Escape 21
Iowa
Marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrifty bill View Post
Sellers are counting on the 12 + month backlog right now at Scamp. Dreamland pricing, but one is in CA. You never know what someone there may pay.

Does appear what used to be in the $5,000 to $6,000 price range is now more like $7,000 to $8,000.

Manufacturers are also pushing new prices up. Glad I am not looking right now.
Times two Bill
It’s usually not good to be a buyer in a market where there is a perceived shortage. People don’t have much patience these days either.
Iowa Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 06:38 AM   #4
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
I don't know Jon, could pay for your kid's college! Well, maybe the fees!

Yes, short term thinking for sure. Right now Vermont is seeing a real estate boom. Low Covid numbers and every one wants to live here. Houses are selling sight unseen. We'll see how keen they are in the Spring. After mud season!
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 07:35 AM   #5

Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raz View Post
I don't know Jon, could pay for your kid's college! Well, maybe the fees!

Yes, short term thinking for sure. Right now Vermont is seeing a real estate boom. Low Covid numbers and every one wants to live here. Houses are selling sight unseen. We'll see how keen they are in the Spring. After mud season!
Honestly I did consider (again) selling the Roadtrek. Class B’s are also in high demand right now. But for us that would be a one-way decision; I don’t see us ever owning something like that again. And ironically, having too much cash in the bank works against you when it comes to college. At least for now, it’s a little pot of gold that doesn’t get reported on the college financial aid forms. Next year it could be all different, hoping so!

I have never even for a second considered selling the Scamp.
Old 11-02-2020, 11:13 AM   #6

Name: Kip
Trailer: 2003 Casita 17' SD Deluxe, Towed by '09 Honda Ridgeline.
Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Honestly I did consider (again) selling the Roadtrek. Class B’s are also in high demand right now. But for us that would be a one-way decision; I don’t see us ever owning something like that again. And ironically, having too much cash in the bank works against you when it comes to college. At least for now, it’s a little pot of gold that doesn’t get reported on the college financial aid forms. Next year it could be all different, hoping so!

I have never even for a second considered selling the Scamp.
Strange how we get attached to things. Feel certain I can get considerable more for our 2002 Casita that we bought in 2011. And sit it out for a year or so until all those 1st time buyers decide camping isn't for them. Then we can get a much later model.

But we have made this one "OURS" with mods. So it likely to be here for the duration. (Unless someone wants it ( REALLY) bad) ��
Kip in Ga. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 07:46 AM   #7

Arizona
Registry
Latest jaw-dropper is a 2005 layout 1 listed at $15.5K. At least this one appears to be well cared for and tastefully updated. That’s nearly twice it’s original MSRP with options.

https://www.fiberglass-rv-4sale.com/...00-portland-or

I’ve been noticing a similar run-up in prices of Casita 17’s.
Old 11-19-2020, 07:33 AM   #8

Arizona
Registry
Just when I think it can’t go any higher...

https://www.fiberglass-rv-4sale.com/...-costa-mesa-ca
Old 11-19-2020, 08:39 AM   #9

Registry
Watch when people start selling their spot in line with Scamp. Happened with Harleys back in the day. Lets see, $500 deposit, sell your spot for $2500.... It's coming.
Old 11-22-2020, 10:46 AM   #10
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Someone just listed a 2019 Happier Camper for $37000 ca. I'm not sure what a new one with listed options would cost but not having to wait is mentioned.
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 11:02 AM   #11

Name: Kip
Trailer: 2003 Casita 17' SD Deluxe, Towed by '09 Honda Ridgeline.
Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raz View Post
Someone just listed a 2019 Happier Camper for $37000 ca. I'm not sure what a new one with listed options would cost but not having to wait is mentioned.
Price might drop a tad in a few years. Like to $3700
Kip in Ga. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 11:29 AM   #12

Trailer: U-Haul 16 ft Vacationer
Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin A
Well, our house dropped in sale value from 2005 to 2019 about 25%, so it’s probably coming in the used trailer market, too.
Kevin A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 01:39 PM   #13

Arizona
Registry
The circumstances and causes are different (compared to the real estate crash of 2008), but yes, a bubble eventually bursts. If there is a lot of subprime stuff going on in the RV market and people cannot afford what they’re buying now, the bust will be sudden and severe. Otherwise I foresee a gentler post-COVID correction.

In any case I don’t expect the bottom to fall out of the used molded fiberglass market nor “fire-sale” deals. I wouldn’t be surprised by a downward correction, perhaps by fall 2021.
Old 11-22-2020, 03:18 PM   #14

Name: Mike
Trailer: Escape 21 & Jeep GC 5.7 (Previous 2012 Casita FD17 & 2010 Audi Q5)
Puget Sound, WA
Registry
I suspect the pendulum will swing back when folks start feeling comfortable getting back into airplanes and hotel rooms again. With a viable vaccine apparently on the near horizon, I fully expect that many folks will quickly give up RVing as they find that the experience is not in full accord with the images marketed by the industry.

It has been said that they don't sell RV's, they sell a dream. I expect there will be an awakening after folks have found how difficult it is to get a site, to pack and travel, and have experienced the lack of internet connectivity, novelties, and entertainment offered by amusement-parks, urban destinations, etc.

At least I hope so.
Attached Thumbnails
Pop-Up-Camper.jpg  

Civilguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 03:33 PM   #15

Registry
Well, its definitely pot of gold time, based on prices above! If you are considering selling, do it now, as the bubble will burst. As always, the "best" way to get money out of a RV is to use it, and gain priceless experiences!
Old 12-03-2020, 06:27 PM   #16

Name: Thom
Trailer: Scamp 97 13’, 84 19’
Massachusetts
We are upgrading for 13’ to 19’ Scamp, and people are HOUNDING is for the little one! Family, friends, people online, it’s crazy! We posted in a Facebook group looking for the 19’, and got 20+ messages, not about the 19’, but about the 13’ that people want to buy from us!!! I’m thinking we should just hold onto it for once the kids grow up and we wanna cruse around in the smaller one again. Seems like it might be hard to get my hands back on a little one...
Thombullock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 02:50 PM   #17

Trailer: 2005 16 ft Scamp Side Dinette and 2005 Fleetwood (Coleman) Taos pop-up / 2004 Dodge Dakota QuadCab and 2008 Subaru Outback
Registry
We sold our 05 Scamp last month, but only because we picked up a new Escape last month and needed the room in our driveway. The Covid demand made it easier and quicker to sell, especially since I only asked what I considered a fair price rather than an inflated price. I even had offers of a couple thousand more than what I sold it for from other callers!
I put it on the internet before going to bed at night and had a buyer the next morning. It worked out well for both of us, they live in Michigan, and we live in GA, but they saved a bit of driving because they picked it up at a rally we attended in TN. They got to meet some other fiberglass campers and then they spent two nights in the same spot we left (after I took the Scamp to the dump station and showed them how to do it).
Technically, our last night in the Scamp was actually in their Scamp, since they payed us on Sunday and we left on Monday.

Escape now has deliveries scheduled in 2022 but they did not raise prices on the 2021 models. Hard to believe I ordered the Escape June 30 and could have had a September delivery at that time! I chose December 14, and 10 days later changed my mind but they had filled almost 2 months of orders in those ten days, so I had to settle for late Oct delivery.

It seemed strange returning from the rally without our Scamp in tow.
radar1-scamping.blogspot.com
Radar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 10:29 AM   #18

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
buyers on this forum are not as big of idiots as some sellers who are price gouging seem to think. People come here to help them figure out what the real prices are.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 10:44 AM   #19

Name: Steven
Trailer: In the market
South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by k corbin View Post
buyers on this forum are not as big of idiots as some sellers who are price gouging seem to think. People come here to help them figure out what the real prices are.
I disagree. I've contacted many sellers making them offers and their response is always the same. "I listed it three hours ago, obviously it's sold already!" or "I'm asking $16,000 and three people are already offering me more!".

I had a seller earlier this year who was willing to reason with me, but someone offered him his asking price ($14k) for a 6 year old scamp. Insane.

These will be dirt cheap in a other year or two. People are buying them left and right. They will all be on the market end of next year when travel becomes safe and people realize they didn't like camping.

I will get out of my tent some day....
Steve_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 11:42 AM   #20

Arizona
Registry
I don’t expect dirt cheap, ever. But a measure of sanity will eventually return when the build time for a new unit drops to a more normal 6-8 months.

But the one thing this pandemic has taught us is we really never know what’s around the next corner.