Size question from a newbie - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-22-2014, 12:44 PM   #1

Name: Josh
Trailer: Currently Shopping
Alabama
Size question from a newbie

Hello all. I have enjoyed reading the wealth of information contained here. I am currently looking to buy a FGRV but the used market seems to be pretty small here in the Southeast. I was wondering if you guys might help me narrow down my list of potential makes and models. Since most any used camper will require some significant driving distance to view, I thought it'd be prudent to ask some questions about size before wasting considerable gas money going to look at campers that will be too small.

I am 6'-3" tall. I'd prefer a camper that I can stand in fully upright and would prefer one that wouldn't require me to sleep at an angle in the bed. Are there any brands that I should rule out immediately? What make/model/floorplan would be ideal, if you happen to know one?

I keep checking the Classifieds here, along with Craigslist, but I wanted to get some input from you guys before I decide to spend considerable time and money going to view some of the candidates. I am not in any hurry to buy. I am not remotely close to retirement, so this will just be a weekend warrior type thing for me. I think I have plenty of time to be selective but I want to start looking because they are scarce around here.
AUJosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 01:11 PM   #2

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
I think that the list you CAN look at will be very short, very limiting and very expensive as about 95% of the FGRV's are ruled out by your being height impared.

As most FGRV's aren't all that wide, I think that the ones that meet both requirements will have beds that run north-south, meaning front to back, rather than east-west or side to side.

There is a chart in the General Discussion forum with bed dimensions on it. As far as standing up, that's about as hard, but remember that you won't be standing up all that much in a small trailer.

But, to add to your requirements, what will you be towing with?

BTW: another source to follow is: fiberglass-rv-4sale.com

Good Luck

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 01:18 PM   #3

Alabama
Thanks for the input. Towing is not a huge concern as I have access to a 1/2 ton truck with a V8. It should be capable of towing every FGRV I've browsed thus far. I was afraid that size would be a limiting factor but I wasn't sure just how limiting it would be.
Old 05-22-2014, 01:35 PM   #4

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
If you were buying a new trailer ,you would not have a problem with ceiling height . Escape ,Parkliner , EggCamper all have 6 Ft 5" as their listed interior height. Buying used as Bob says is another story . Casita and Scamp trailers , which you are more likely to find on the used market would be too low to meet your criteria for ceiling height . To me ceiling height is less of a concern than the bed length. Sleeping at an angle only works if your sleeping alone
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 01:39 PM   #5

Trailer: 2003 17 ft Casita Freedom Deluxe ('Rita')
possibility

Hey Josh,
Love Casitas. Have had more campers than I can shake a stick at, and now several Casitas.
Just got my longed for Liberty Casity, 17' Deluxe.
The bed in back can be a king, double, or 2 singles. It is 7' long. We intend to go for the twin beds, widened.
Hubby just went out back to measure height. He is about 5'10" or so.
Just spent 2 nites in it.
And here he comes with the measurement..............
Highest point is only about 6'1" or so. And of course we all have to duck going in and out. I am only 5"4". Knock your head a few times, and you learn to duck!!
Betty L.
Betty L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 01:59 PM   #6

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Scamp16 trailers are 6' 3" interior . Post fire (2006+) Scamp13 trailers are 6'3" interior.
The bed length on most makes is +- 6' 6".
Two points to keep in mind...
you don't spend a lot of time standing or walking around inside and you seldom stand up straight like you are being measured!
I'm 6'0" and so is the ceiling height in my '04 Scamp13. My head can rub the ceiling but only if I do so on purpose.
The real question is whether you want a small travel trailer or a larger one.
I have found nothing for which I would trade my 13.
The Parkliner is incredibly roomy inside for it's length, but it is new.
An old Trillium feels roomy as well for its diminutive stature.
Most older rear entry trailers have pop-up ceilings which are plenty tall.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 02:18 PM   #7

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Let's agree that, while the interior width of most FGRV's is close to 78" that, in the case of rear beds about, 1/2 of that is quickly eaten into by the curve of the shell. Excepting those, of course, that don't have an EGG shape.

Such is the joy of being so close to the ground..... Just ask Leonard. at least Penny agrees.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 04:03 PM   #8

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
Scamp16 trailers are 6' 3" interior . Post fire (2006+) Scamp13 trailers are 6'3" interior.
The bed length on most makes is +- 6' 6".
That's what the literature says. But I think they must have measured before they installed the insulation, headliner, and carpet, because when I get out the tape measure in my (post-fire) Scamp 13' it's about 2" less both ways: 6'1" height and 6'4" bed length.

Bigfoot and Escape are two that come first to mind for a taller person (unfortunately, they tend to be more common in the NW, not the SE). If I was on a limited budget, I'd probably be looking at one of the pop-up types (Hunter, Campster, Compact).
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 04:59 PM   #9

Name: Melanie
Trailer: Lil Snoozy "Marigold"
Alabama
Check out the Lil Snoozy:
Length: 18 ft. 6 in. (encompasses tongue to rear of AC unit)
Height: 7 ft. 7 in.
Width: 8 ft. (from outside tire to outside tire)

Living Area Dimensions
Length: 14 ft. 6 in.
Interior Width: 6 ft. 6 in.
Bed Size Area: 63” x 79” (34 sq. ft.)
Overall Living Space: 95.25 sq. ft.

My husband is 6 ft and is quite comfortable.
Melanie B in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 07:00 PM   #10

Name: Kathy
Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Washington
Registry
Are you looking for new or used? If new, the manufacturers should be able to give you interior dimensions for their various models.

If used, a Bigfoot might work for you. We have a 1987 Bigfoot 17'. The gaucho bed (which runs lengthwise) is 44" X 75". The dinette bed (which runs crosswise) is 43" X 79". Interior headroom is 6' 6".
Evergreengirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 07:09 PM   #11
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
I'm 6-1 and bonked my head on a 17ft Casita every time I used it. The AC reduces the headroom by 2 inches...........no problem on my Escape

Charlie Y

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: https://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 07:39 PM   #12

Alabama
I am leery of using manufacturers stated dimensions. The listed dimensions are always taken at the widest, tallest, longest point to make it look good. As others have already suggested, some measurements may be taken prior to the floors, ceilings, and walls being finished. RV manufacturers wouldn't be the first group to fudge on such numbers.
Old 05-22-2014, 08:37 PM   #13

Trailer: Scamp
New York
I'm 6' 2". I walk our 2011 Scamp 16 with my head down (up hits the ceiling and the AC, which is right in the middle of the spacious 2-3 pace aisle, is lower yet). I lean and tilt to find a comfortable position to stand, which isn't often, and comes surprisingly natural being tall to begin with.
Sleeping hasn't been a problem at all but my head is at the wall, my feet reach the wall, and my wife is tiny. I haven't experienced hot, no AC sleeping yet which could be problem. I've slept much worse and there's no place like home (where my feet rest comfortably on a chest at the foot of the bed).
Overall, no complaints. I'm also a FGRV newbie so maybe time will tell...
JALEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 08:59 PM   #14

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
That's what the literature says. But I think they must have measured before they installed the insulation, headliner, and carpet, because when I get out the tape measure in my (post-fire) Scamp 13' it's about 2" less both ways: 6'1" height and 6'4" bed length.

Bigfoot and Escape are two that come first to mind for a taller person (unfortunately, they tend to be more common in the NW, not the SE). If I was on a limited budget, I'd probably be looking at one of the pop-up types (Hunter, Campster, Compact).
Did you wash yours in hot water?

Only Scamp employees have spent more time in more Scamps than I have, along with just about every other fiberglass trailer ever made.
Every post fire Scamp 13 I have been in is taller by a margin which lends veracity to the literature, eventhough I have not measured every one.
Still I am sure there is some variance in all trailers, leaving us with only the literature for a fair initial comparison.

The outside width hasn't changed... ever... 80inches.
As on all the rounded eggs and most of the square eggs (ouch) the interior width does taper above the bellyband.

Having owned a Hunter, Campster and a Compact Jr.... suffice it to say that while all fiberglass trailers are great, Scamp13 would still be my first choice, for comfort, convenience and towability. especially in foul weather or in-transit overnighting.

The real issue though, is whether a person desires a small trailer like a 13 or one of the larger offerings... Once you exceed 16, you are really leaving the small trailer genre with its set of perfections and foibles, and entering a sort of intermediate genre with its own set.

Which genre is advantageous remains subjective, and has little to do with budget limitations. I would not trade my Scamp13 for any Escape or a Bigfoot, and I am sure most of their owners would balk at a proposal to do the reverse .
Old 05-22-2014, 09:14 PM   #15

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by AUJosh View Post
I am leery of using manufacturers stated dimensions. The listed dimensions are always taken at the widest, tallest, longest point to make it look good. As others have already suggested, some measurements may be taken prior to the floors, ceilings, and walls being finished. RV manufacturers wouldn't be the first group to fudge on such numbers.
Excellent point, which I tried to make as well. Experiencing each prospective trailer in-person, is best. In lieu of that, the manufacturer's stated dimensions (or is it "dementians") remain the only fair comparisons.
Old 05-22-2014, 09:36 PM   #16

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by tractors1 View Post
I'm 6-1 and bonked my head on a 17ft Casita every time I used it. The AC reduces the headroom by 2 inches...........no problem on my Escape

Charlie Y
Point made once more...
Comparing the manufacturer's dimensions...

Casita 16= 5' 10"

Casita 17= 6' 1-1/4"

Escape19= 6' 5"
Old 05-22-2014, 09:43 PM   #17

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
Now everyone is talking about newer trailers...A budget wasn't mentioned but what about one of the older pop top ones? At least the height could always be raised to fit a giant

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/g...+trailers.html

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.... J.R.R. Tolkien
deryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 09:54 PM   #18

Name: Denece
Trailer: Compact II
California
Registry
I was just going to suggest a pop-top! Our Compact II has plenty of headroom ( as long as you duck at the door). A Compact Jr would have an even longer bed. If you have lots of time to look you can wait for the kind you want. Bed length should be an even bigger consideration than headroom IMHO.

HAPPY HUNTING!
Denece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 10:07 PM   #19

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
I'm 5'11, and lived aboard a few sail boats for about 10 years. I wouldn't consider owning anything that I cant stand up in and stretch a little. My boats all had around 6' but my ParkLiner is like a Palace at like 6'5!

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.... J.R.R. Tolkien
deryk is offline   Reply With Quote