sleeping space for a tall guy - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 01-01-2020, 03:09 PM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
sleeping space for a tall guy

HI crew, I am 6'3" and wondering if I would fit in any of the Scamps/Casitas? I know other folks must have had this issue but my search didn't show up anything. Thanks, Bob
mgbbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 05:29 PM   #2

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Try searching google:
"bed size site:fiberglassrv.com"
There have been many discussions.

I am six even and find the bed in the Scamp too small (in port to starboard dimension) to stretch out comfortably unless I am a little diagonal. Others of similar stature find it acceptable but for me it would be a deal killer if I was 6'3". YMMV.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 05:40 PM   #3

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
And be sure to search via google, which is an option.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 07:05 PM   #4

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I would look at "other than" Scamp which is 6'3" and Casita which is 6' 1 1/2". Usually, the air conditioner hangs down a bite and takes away from the height.

Here is one of the older threads on the subject: http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ers-66213.html

My husband is 6'2", so we have been pondering this for some time now. EggCamper, certainly one of the tallest, claims to be re-entering the market this year - 2020. Look at the bed length and the interior height. The bed length decreases on the ends as they contour in. We have had several trailers, and always having to remember to "duck" or scrunching up in the bed and the shower would get old despite how some say there really isn't anywhere to go in a small trailer. I am glad I am not tall after seeing my husband bang his head a few times over the last 3 decades. Probably should check the height on the entrance door also.
Cathy P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 07:36 PM   #5

Name: J
Isle of Wight
The 2002 Bigfoot 17CB that I just sold has a frond bed that is 42 x 78.
I'm 6'2" and had room to spare sleeping and standing up in there. (and showering)

Just another trailer to consider.

Jim
WizWid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 07:43 PM   #6

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy P. View Post
I would look at "other than" Scamp which is 6'3" and Casita which is 6' 1 1/2". Usually, the air conditioner hangs down a bite and takes away from the height. ..
Roof height can be a minor annoyance if it is low. But a bed that is too small is a major issue and will make the camper unsuitable. You can live with a lower roof but IMHO will not live with a too small bed.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 08:38 PM   #7

Name: Tom
Trailer: BigFoot 25B25RT
Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgbbob View Post
HI crew, I am 6'3" and wondering if I would fit in any of the Scamps/Casitas? I know other folks must have had this issue but my search didn't show up anything. Thanks, Bob
I was 6' 4" when I was in school. Now that I am 70, I am at 6' 1.5". The first thing I look at in RVs is the bed length and there are not to many for us. The escape 21 has an 80" bed and the Bigfoot 25 twin beds are also 80" long. Otherwise it will be diagonal on a queen.

I was looking for larger RVs so I don't know about the smaller ones.
ThomasC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 07:38 AM   #8

Name: Steve
Trailer: Escape 15A
Minnesota
Registry
The reason I switched from a U-Haul to a Lite House was bed length, as I am 6'3". A couple of the smallest campers, like the Lite House and Compact Jr/II actually have the longest beds because the beds are oriented longitudinally in the camper.

Another option in the older used market with a more "conventional" layout is a widebody Burro.
Steve Carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 10:10 AM   #9

Name: Alex
Trailer: Bigfoot
Washington
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by widgetwizard View Post
The 2002 Bigfoot 17CB that I just sold has a frond bed that is 42 x 78.
I'm 6'2" and had room to spare sleeping and standing up in there. (and showering)

Just another trailer to consider.

Jim
I'm 6'3" and can completely stretch out in the front bed of my newer 17.5 FB Bigfoot. The bed ends, but the wardrobe closet floor is above the bed's elevation which makes foot room for someone taller than me.

As far as showering, my head sticks into the vent on the wet bath... I shower sitting down in the camper.

Good luck. We shopped for almost a year before finding what we needed.
SnowballCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 11:00 AM   #10

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
80" (6' 8") is a DOT standard for a maximum width before rule changes occur. Most fiberglass trailers are 80" wide.
If you can't get comfortable with that restriction then you should seek a larger trailer.

That being said, If you get a narrower pillow which would allow your head to be closer to the wall,that would eliminate the extra space above your head

If you sleep on the outboard side of the bed you would have the full 78" of bed length.
A Scamp fiver standard can be configured to sleep lengthwise.
A Scamp deluxe or even a 13 standard can be bought with a 54" wide bed which is 10" wider than the standard bed in a 16 and allows more of an "angle" to stretch out.

Actually, height is really not the human dimension which is most restrictive when trying to to sleep comfortably in a standard bed in a small fiberglass trailer.

As far as height, a trailer with 6'3" ceiling height would normally work fine since you don't spend much time on your feet inside the trailer and you seldom stretch to full height unless you are measuring your height.
That can be done elsewhere.

I am 6' 0" and my Scamp is prefire with a 6ft interior height and A/C, it has been no problem... (only 15years so far)

You could even configure a rear dinette to sleep lengthwise, even in a 13...
Attached Thumbnails
kingbed4.JPG   kingbed 3.JPG  

DSCF0090.JPG  
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 11:22 AM   #11

Name: George
Trailer: Trillium
Ontario
Registry
just an option not a solution: I am 6 ft tall and can stand up and sleep in my T4500, but sometimes for privacy or a quick overnight we use my tow vehicle which is a 2005 Ford window van with reclining rear seat which allows us to sleep in it quite comfortably (lengthwise) and would allow a longer person to make sleeping arrangements (bedroom) when stopped and acts as bedroom and we don't need to rearrange the dining area.
jokra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 11:30 AM   #12

Name: BJ
Trailer: 2019 Escape 21' Formerly 2015 Escape 19'
Wisconsin
We have a 21' Escape and both the ceiling height and the bed would accommodate your 6'3". The ceiling, except for the space under the AC is 6'4". the bed is a long full, 80 " or 6'8". The only issue is finding the sheets to go on the bed. You will generally have to order these online.
bjsmitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 11:42 AM   #13

Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape
Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjsmitty View Post
We have a 21' Escape and both the ceiling height and the bed would accommodate your 6'3". The ceiling, except for the space under the AC is 6'4". the bed is a long full, 80 " or 6'8". The only issue is finding the sheets to go on the bed. You will generally have to order these online.

The Escape19 has a full size queen 60x80.
rgrugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 01:52 PM   #14

Name: Anthony
Trailer: '96 Bigfoot 17'
Yukon
Just over 6'3" and that is why we bought a Bigfoot 17. I just fit in the front bed, while the rear is too short because of the closet, though you could do some mods to make the rear longer and loose a bit of closet space. I can stand in the center of the bigfoot also. It's roomy for a 17 footer but that room translates into more frontal area and poorer gas mileage I am sure, but for us tall folks we don't have a lot of options.
Anthony B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 04:25 PM   #15

Name: Fred & Linda
Trailer: Little Joe
Texas
Like Steve Carlson, we chose our Little Joe for the bed length and interior height. (LiteHouse became Little Joe) We wanted a small trailer and I wanted to sleep comfortably. I am 6'2" and the bed is 6'6".

. . . . .Fred
Fred-Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 04:42 PM   #16

Name: Myron
Trailer: Escape
New Mexico
Registry
I am 6 ft 7 inches. My old Burro had me sleeping in the fetal position. Likewise with my old Scamp 16. Then -- I got an Escape 19. Ceiling is 6'3" but it comes with a standard queen size bed. Walls are just wide enough to keep my legs straight. Very happy.

Oh, we thought we might get the Escape 21 because that bed is lengthwise instead of across, so plenty of hang space for the feet. But, that bed was just few inches more narrow than we deemed fitting.
Attached Thumbnails
Interior2.jpg  
MyronL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 05:04 PM   #17

Name: R.T.
Trailer: Big Foot
Georgia
We have a Casita Independence model and the twin beds measure 31" x 82" each.
dblcola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 05:29 PM   #18

Name: John
Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
yeah, Casita 17' foot Independence (twins) or Liberty (king) fit your size just fine. Deluxe versions (most I've seen are Deluxe) have A/C, shower, toilet standard.

with these, you will be using the bed area as the dinette. With the Liberty, you'll need to remove the center section of the King bed to use as a table....
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 11:44 PM   #19

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Carlson View Post
The reason I switched from a U-Haul to a Lite House was bed length, as I am 6'3". A couple of the smallest campers, like the Lite House and Compact Jr/II actually have the longest beds because the beds are oriented longitudinally in the camper.

Another option in the older used market with a more "conventional" layout is a widebody Burro.
The Trailswest Campster is another vintage fiberglass trailer with a nearly king size bed in it.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 10:45 PM   #20

Name: Perry
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ
Lanesboro, Minnesota, between Whalan and Fountain
Most Escapes have 80" beds. We chose our Escape 5.0 because it had an 80" full queen and over a foot on each side to throw our arms and legs. Plus one of us doesn't have to crawl over to get out of bed, leaving the other in peaceful sleep.

After the small crawl over in our Scamp and Casita, we're ecstatic with our Escape.

Enjoy,

Perry

Previous Eggs -2018 Escape 5.0 TA, 2001 Scamp 16' Side Bath, 2007 Casita 17' Spirit basic, no bath, water or tanks, 2003 Bigfoot 25B25RQ, that we regreted selling
Perryb67 is offline   Reply With Quote