Slide in Truck Camper Boler Pedigree - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-04-2018, 09:24 PM   #1

Name: J
Trailer: Boler
Ontario
Slide in Truck Camper Boler Pedigree

Hi

Across from the Boler factory in Earlton, Ontario a company (Bison) built a limited number of really neat Truck Campers with the same attributes as the Boler Egg Shells...many moons ago.

The campers had/have beautiful rounded corner and lines and were complete with a fiberglass liner.

Many campers require elevation pads (Skids) to accommodate the supersized pickups. Not this one and a F150 short box can handle with ease.

Imagine the cost to build today?

Click image for larger version

Name:	Bison_Camper.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	66.8 KB
ID:	118734

Cheers

Doog
doogymon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 07:07 AM   #2

Name: John
Trailer: 2019 Oliver Elite II
Texas
Back in the day slide in pickup campers were the thing to have, I personally never cared for that type of camper, I've always been a pull behind trailer guy. I remember when I worked for Chevrolet Motor Division when the Chevy Blazer had a factory version of one of these, I always thought how cool it would be to have one, can't remember who did the conservation for CMD. It was a one time thing and didn't sell well as I remember. Don't get me wrong here, I think any fiberglass older rig in good condition that has been protected from the weather would be a great find and fun to use. https://www.bing.com/images/search?q...mper&FORM=IGRE due note, both Chevrolet and GMC offered this vehicle in 1976, from what I remember there was only one color offered, the dark bronze/beige color for both Chevy and GMC, any other in the pics are probably repaints.

trainman
trainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 07:46 AM   #3

Name: J
Trailer: Boler
Ontario
Hi Trainman

Thanks for the link. Those Chevies were awesome. I had a sweet 1977 Camper Special C20 with a big Shasta Slide in Truck Camper. Dual fuel tanks. Wow. Can you say Gas Station?

How do you tow your boat?

Trucks Camper are the ultimate because your truck gets used when not camping.

Small Truck Campers (Molded Fiberglass) are very very rare. Who wants a 3/4 Ton truck around town?

Cheers

D
doogymon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 08:16 AM   #4

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
Very cool
I’ve never seen the blazer
alan H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 10:32 AM   #5
Commercial Member

Name: Mike
Trailer: Boler13/trillium4500/buro13
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by doogymon View Post
Hi

Across from the Boler factory in Earlton, Ontario a company (Bison) built a limited number of really neat Truck Campers with the same attributes as the Boler Egg Shells...many moons ago.

The campers had/have beautiful rounded corner and lines and were complete with a fiberglass liner.

Many campers require elevation pads (Skids) to accommodate the supersized pickups. Not this one and a F150 short box can handle with ease.

Imagine the cost to build today?

Attachment 118734

Cheers

Doog
Earlton Boler actually made a fg slide in truck camper which there are pictures at the former plant which is now a park and mini museum in Earlton Ont.
Mikmay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 12:31 PM   #6

Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape
Michigan
Over the years my wife and I had several slide in truck campers which I consider the ultimate way to travel since they can go almost anywhere the truck can go and anywhere you can park the truck you can park the truck and camper. When it became too difficult for her to get into and out of the over cab bed we gave up the camper in favor of an EggCamper trailer. Now with an Escape 19 I have more space. It’s simpler and easier to hitch ip and unhitch a trailer than it is to load and unload a camper from a truck.
rgrugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 01:10 PM   #7

Name: Dave
Trailer: 13' 1973 Boler - tow/2017 Colorado Crew-Cab
Ontario
Registry
Slide-in - Truck Camper - Fibreglass

Wow-! = Three features we've always 'dreampt of; having had three previous slide-in units. We're very interested, and have sent you PM. We're in Ontario; and, the pick-up is gassed and ready to ramble.
Old 05-06-2018, 02:20 AM   #8

Name: Joanne
Trailer: In the market
California
Truck Camper Magazine just did an article on a molded fiberglass slide in truck camper called a 'Roamer'. Roamer went out of business in 2008 unfortunately, but the interior of their slide in is pretty awesome. Very boat like.
https://www.truckcampermagazine.com/...roamer-camper/
Joanne1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 07:41 AM   #9

Name: To Infinity & Beyond!
Trailer: 1985 Uhaul VT-16 Vacationer, 1957 Avion R20 & 1977 Argosy 6.0 Minuet
Tennessee
The 1976-1977 Chevy Blazer and GMC Sierra "Chalet" Conversions were completed by Chinook in Washington and sold from Chevy/GMC Dealerships.

Neat concept that quietly went away after about 2000 units produced. The reality is that these trucks were overloaded with the loaded fiberglass shell on their back and as such did not drive all that great or safe. Over the years the shells have also been mounted on modified Suburbans and several to trailer chassis's.

Given the propensity for rust on these early Blazer/Sierra's you see many enthusiasts of these campers today remove the shell from the 1976-1977 Blazer/Sierra Chassis and mount the shell on a newer 1989-1991 Blazer chassis. Nice easy bolt on that immediately gets you Fuel Ijection, Overdrive Transmission and a little heavier suspension.

As you can see below there "Was" consideration to building a Suburban Chalet as this was shown in a GM brochure. Notice this was to be built on the 3/4 ton 2500 Suburban. This would have been a great Chalet had they proceeded with this concept.

The best modification that can be made that makes the "Chalet" quite off-road capable is to install 1 ton 8 lug Chevrolet 4WD pickup axles front and rear along with the appropriate suspension springs and shock absorber's. With this mod the truck will drive, ride and perform so much better.

I have owned 5-6 different "Chalet's" over the years. Kinda fun and quirky camper that gets lots of look IF you have a nice one!
Attached Thumbnails
Chevy-Blazer-Chalet-768x576.jpg   suburban Chalet 1.jpg  

blazer-chalet.jpg   download (2).jpg  

Attached Images

Remember "Drive Fast, Turn Heads, Break Hearts"!
vintageracer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boler