Slightly bummed with Casita - Fiberglass RV


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 07-30-2020, 06:24 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
Name: Dave
Trailer: in the process of buying a Casita 17 Liberty Delux
Ohio
Posts: 17
Slightly bummed with Casita

My wife and I have a 2018 Casita Liberty, which we love. D SS once we bought it, we’ve had problems with cabinet latches. Whenever we travel, cabinets pop open. We’ve adjusted use of and packing of our cabinets to limit spillage when the cabinet doors pop open. Several times Casita has sent us replacement latches, which has helped somewhat. Recently I’ve discovered the cause. It is two fold. First the latches are poor quality. Most Casita owners know that. Secondly, some latches were installed improperly. They were installed too low so that the extended lip of the latch just barely engages with the cabinet. I discovered this by taking pictures of the engaged lock from inside of the cabinet. To get some pictures I reached onside and snapped the picture. To take others I put the camera inside the cabinet and used the timer to take a picture after I closed the canine door. So I asked Casita for new latches. I’ve made new cabinet doors so I could install new latches. Casita has refuse to give me new latches. I am well past the warranty period, but the problem was discovered and communicated to Casita several times during the warranty period. So to fix my cabinet latches clearly caused by casita’s manufacturing error, I had to give Casita $130 for new latches. Plus I replaced the doors on my own. Bummer. Advice to owners of casitas still under warranty with old latches: demand that Casita fix your cabinets. They know how to do it and now you do too.
__________________

Dave8850 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 07:19 PM   #2
Junior Member
 
Name: Dennis
Trailer: shopping
Colorado
Posts: 2
Cabinet latch problems

I have a 2010 Casita Liberty Deluxe and had the same problem with the cabinet door opening in the rear overhead. Sad that Casita still hasn't fixed it after all these years. Wonder how many calls they've had concerning this and if these calls are logged into a database. Dissatisfying how they have treated you and understand your frustration. There is a fix that worked for me. If a casita owner has cabinets with the plastic framing on the fiberglass opening there's a quick way to resolve it. On my casita the plastic framing pulls up or down easily (not glued) where the latch is located. I broke the head off a stick match and put the stick inside the plastic cabinet frame where the slot fits over the fiberglass. I have not had a problem since. Hope this helps some of you out there.
__________________

dkarp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 11:18 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Glenn Baglo's Avatar
 
Name: Glenn ( second 'n' is silent )
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B '08 RAV4 SPORT V6
British Columbia
Posts: 6,976
If you're out of warranty, or not, why not just buy better quality latches? They are not that expensive.
Check out Lee Valley Tools for quality hardware.
__________________
What happens to the hole when the cheese is gone?
- Bertolt Brecht
Glenn Baglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 05:53 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
Name: bob
Trailer: 1984 u-haul ct13; 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Posts: 5,006
I have read that better replacement latches are available from beetle freak.com. Haven't used them myself as we have an older Casita. I think the owner is a member here.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 06:30 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
Name: p@
Trailer: Casita
South Carolina
Posts: 289
Registry
I’v replaced those pesky latches with magnets. No moving parts and it works really well...

P@
patrick crawford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 07:02 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
Name: Steve
Trailer: Currently Shopping
NW Wisconsin
Posts: 4,078
On our 2013 Casita we only had issues with one door ( Dinette bench seat ) which was easily remedied.
Trailer manufacturers often cut corners in areas that are obvious to the customer and cause them constant irritation .
IE; Escape uses an off brand , lower cost trailer coupler . Every time we hookup or uncouple the trailer and I have to fight the coupler , and I get an irritating reminder .
A better coupler would have an additional upfront cost of $20 , now it’s a $200 repair
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 09:02 AM   #7
Member
 
Name: marty
Trailer: Scamp
New York
Posts: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave8850 View Post
My wife and I have a 2018 Casita Liberty, which we love. D SS once we bought it, we’ve had problems with cabinet latches. Whenever we travel, cabinets pop open. We’ve adjusted use of and packing of our cabinets to limit spillage when the cabinet doors pop open. Several times Casita has sent us replacement latches, which has helped somewhat. Recently I’ve discovered the cause. It is two fold. First the latches are poor quality. Most Casita owners know that. Secondly, some latches were installed improperly. They were installed too low so that the extended lip of the latch just barely engages with the cabinet. I discovered this by taking pictures of the engaged lock from inside of the cabinet. To get some pictures I reached onside and snapped the picture. To take others I put the camera inside the cabinet and used the timer to take a picture after I closed the canine door. So I asked Casita for new latches. I’ve made new cabinet doors so I could install new latches. Casita has refuse to give me new latches. I am well past the warranty period, but the problem was discovered and communicated to Casita several times during the warranty period. So to fix my cabinet latches clearly caused by casita’s manufacturing error, I had to give Casita $130 for new latches. Plus I replaced the doors on my own. Bummer. Advice to owners of casitas still under warranty with old latches: demand that Casita fix your cabinets. They know how to do it and now you do too.
I put locks on my cabinet doors. Key locks, it flips a bar behind the frame.
kayaker51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 09:07 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
Name: Dick
Trailer: '15 17' LD Casita and '17 Tahoe LT
Texas
Posts: 254
I would like to see some pic. from Dennis and Patrick on their fixes.
dmad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 09:18 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
WaltP's Avatar
 
Name: Walter
Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
SW Virginia
Posts: 1,804
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
On our 2013 Casita we only had issues with one door ( Dinette bench seat ) which was easily remedied.
Trailer manufacturers often cut corners in areas that are obvious to the customer and cause them constant irritation .
IE; Escape uses an off brand , lower cost trailer coupler . Every time we hookup or uncouple the trailer and I have to fight the coupler , and I get an irritating reminder .
A better coupler would have an additional upfront cost of $20 , now it’s a $200 repair
One of the first mods I did When I got my New Escape home was to replace the poor quality hitch it came with with a bulldog hitch like Oliver uses. Really a modest cost considering the cost of the tráiler and Well worth it for the added reliability and safety.


Walt
WaltP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 09:46 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
Name: Steve
Trailer: Currently Shopping
NW Wisconsin
Posts: 4,078
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaltP View Post
One of the first mods I did When I got my New Escape home was to replace the poor quality hitch it came with with a bulldog hitch like Oliver uses. Really a modest cost considering the cost of the tráiler and Well worth it for the added reliability and safety.


Walt
Thanks Walt , maybe I will order up a Bulldog hitch and then this Fall when the local welding shop has an opening , I can get it installed .
If Escape would have offered a first rate coupler as an option I would have gladly purchased it . The present hitch seems unreliable and IMHO is a safety issue
Had a work trailer come unhitched once , not something I wish to repeat .
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 10:25 AM   #11
Member
 
tidewater's Avatar
 
Name: jack
Trailer: Bigfoot
Arizona
Posts: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaltP View Post
One of the first mods I did When I got my New Escape home was to replace the poor quality hitch it came with with a bulldog hitch like Oliver uses. Really a modest cost considering the cost of the tráiler and Well worth it for the added reliability and safety.


Walt
On Walt's advise, I also went with a Bulldog. I got tired of feeling around the Bigfoot hitch to make sure it was properly engaged (a bit paranoid perhaps) but I can clearly see that the Bulldog is engaged visually due to the design. Plus it's much more robust.

jack
tidewater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 11:04 AM   #12
Member
 
Name: marty
Trailer: Scamp
New York
Posts: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave8850 View Post
My wife and I have a 2018 Casita Liberty, which we love. D SS once we bought it, we’ve had problems with cabinet latches. Whenever we travel, cabinets pop open. We’ve adjusted use of and packing of our cabinets to limit spillage when the cabinet doors pop open. Several times Casita has sent us replacement latches, which has helped somewhat. Recently I’ve discovered the cause. It is two fold. First the latches are poor quality. Most Casita owners know that. Secondly, some latches were installed improperly. They were installed too low so that the extended lip of the latch just barely engages with the cabinet. I discovered this by taking pictures of the engaged lock from inside of the cabinet. To get some pictures I reached onside and snapped the picture. To take others I put the camera inside the cabinet and used the timer to take a picture after I closed the canine door. So I asked Casita for new latches. I’ve made new cabinet doors so I could install new latches. Casita has refuse to give me new latches. I am well past the warranty period, but the problem was discovered and communicated to Casita several times during the warranty period. So to fix my cabinet latches clearly caused by casita’s manufacturing error, I had to give Casita $130 for new latches. Plus I replaced the doors on my own. Bummer. Advice to owners of casitas still under warranty with old latches: demand that Casita fix your cabinets. They know how to do it and now you do too.
Download all attachments as a zip file
kayaker51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 11:20 AM   #13
Junior Member
 
Name: Dennis
Trailer: shopping
Colorado
Posts: 2
Smile Casita latch

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmad1 View Post
I would like to see some pic. from Dennis and Patrick on their fixes.
Here ya go and depending on your situation it may take 1 or 2 match sticks stacked on top of each other. Frame pulls down really easy and you can see how I inserted into the slot. I didn't need glue to make them stay in place.
Let me kmow if you have any questions.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_7320.jpg   IMG_7321.jpg  

IMG_7322.jpg   IMG_7325.jpg  

dkarp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 09:02 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
Name: Jann
Trailer: Casita
Colorado
Posts: 914
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayaker51 View Post
I put locks on my cabinet doors. Key locks, it flips a bar behind the frame.
They make thumb latches like that and you wouldn't need a key.
Jann Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 07:11 AM   #15
Senior Member
 
Name: p@
Trailer: Casita
South Carolina
Posts: 289
Registry
Quote:
I would like to see some pic. from Dennis and Patrick on their fixes.
here's one... all the doors got 2 magnets (closet door got 3) on the opposite side from the hinges at the top and bottom. they're rare earth magnets and amazingly strong. the washers that let the magnets be magnets can't be stainless steel. i've never walked into the trailer after towing all day and found a cabinet door open with this setup.

p@
Attached Thumbnails
door magnet mod_1.jpg  
patrick crawford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 10:45 AM   #16
Senior Member
 
Name: Tom
Trailer: Casita
Kansas
Posts: 140
I replaced our doors (cabinet, bathroom and closet) with ones I made from 3/8 " oak plywood and used magnets to replace the latches. No problems.
Tom McRae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 02:53 PM   #17
Senior Member
 
jgilliam1955's Avatar
 
Name: Jack
Trailer: Casita Liberty
Virginia
Posts: 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrick crawford View Post
I’v replaced those pesky latches with magnets. No moving parts and it works really well...

P@
How does this work? Pictures? I have only one door that is giving me problems. I use Velcro. But magnets seem better idea.
__________________

__________________
Been with my sweetheart since 1969
Burned by Snoozy, Now a Casita owner
We enjoy Whole Plant Base food
If I won the award for laziness, I would send somebody to pick it up for me.
jgilliam1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
casita, light


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Totally bummed out Sisu General Chat 2 06-04-2020 08:36 PM
Caulk, slightly different question Craig D. Thompson Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners 13 12-06-2009 02:31 PM
New Member and Proud Owner of Slightly Used '75 Trillium Kevin Poll Hi, I am.... 6 10-05-2009 08:33 PM
"Slightly" modified Bigfoot Ted Tuchsen Modifications, Alterations and Updates 10 06-30-2007 05:09 AM

» Upcoming Events
No events scheduled in
the next 465 days.
» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:40 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
×