Slim Potatohead picked a FRV!!! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-03-2020, 11:18 AM   #1

Trailer: Bigfoot 13.5 ft 1987
Registry
Slim Potatohead picked a FRV!!!

If you haven't seen the Youtube channel by Slim Potatohead, you should check it out. After years with an A-Frame trailer, he recently bought a used Outback/Trillium. I am really looking forward to his renovation ideas. He is an off grid camper, like me. I invited him to join the Fiberglass RV community.

Slim's youtube channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5L...TOx-g/featured
John DM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 03:44 PM   #2

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I am anxious to see how he mods it for his purposes. It seemed like he would never get around to choosing and then wait, wait, and wait until he finally showed us what he had.

We'll see how this holds up, as he ran that old A-Liner to death! I would not want to be his trailer!
Cathy P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 03:48 PM   #3

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
glad to see him move over

[I remember his days as an A-Liner guy! Now we will se what he can do with a Scamp..

I am truly amazed what I saw at Quartzite this year with the minivan guys. I also saw a lot of minivan rigs and people overnighting at the rest areas this year on the way.

good to see people thinking outside the box!

Bob
QUOTE=John DM;769973]If you haven't seen the Youtube channel by Slim Potatohead, you should check it out. After years with an A-Frame trailer, he recently bought a used Outback/Trillium. I am really looking forward to his renovation ideas. He is an off grid camper, like me. I invited him to join the Fiberglass RV community.

Slim's youtube channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5L...TOx-g/featured[/QUOTE]
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 09:11 PM   #4

Name: Melanie
Trailer: Lil' Bigfoot
Ontario
Just came here to see if anyone had seen this. Have been watching Slim Potato Head for a few years now and was quite happy he got a trillium. I am looking forward to seeing what he does for modifications as well as his winter mods.
Melly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 05:15 AM   #5
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
I went from a Chalet A frame to a Trillium. He will miss the spaciousness of the A frame, but not the set up. I have only seen a double bunk in front. The rear bunk would certainly increase the bed space for those that need it. I wonder if thats an Outback option or PO addition. I'm not sure why he removed the lower kitchen section. If all he wants is counter space why not remove the stove and place a counter on top. Perhaps the next video will explain. I shall keep an eye out. Thanks for posting.
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 07:34 AM   #6

Missouri
raz you are so correct

we had an A-Liner Scout I think the smallest one made.. We loved that thing and yes it had tons of room. We would boondock at Walmarts and would stop traffic when we set it up. If you had your plan 30s and it was up and done!

It was sort of breezy inside the al. frame sweated but we loved that thing. The only reason we sold it and got the Scamp was because of my back surgery!

We miss it every camping trip!

bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raz View Post
I went from a Chalet A frame to a Trillium. He will miss the spaciousness of the A frame, but not the set up. I have only seen a double bunk in front. The rear bunk would certainly increase the bed space for those that need it. I wonder if thats an Outback option or PO addition. I'm not sure why he removed the lower kitchen section. If all he wants is counter space why not remove the stove and place a counter on top. Perhaps the next video will explain. I shall keep an eye out. Thanks for posting.
Old 03-04-2020, 09:13 AM   #7

Name: Randy
Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe
Minnesota
I always thought a molded fiberglass trailer would be a good option for Slim so I was happy to see him get a Trillium.

Good bones for him to customize for his style of camping but I couldn't figure out why he would pull the water tank but keep the outdoor shower?
Randy P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 11:12 AM   #8

Name: PCO6
Trailer: Cadet
Ontario
I've always enjoyed Slim's videos and this was no exception. It's nice to now see ones that I can relate more too.
PCO6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 03:30 PM   #9

Name: carolyn
Trailer: 2005 casita sd
Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by k0wtz View Post
[I remember his days as an A-Liner guy! Now we will se what he can do with a Scamp..

I am truly amazed what I saw at Quartzite this year with the minivan guys. I also saw a lot of minivan rigs and people overnighting at the rest areas this year on the way.

good to see people thinking outside the box!

Bob
QUOTE=John DM;769973]If you haven't seen the Youtube channel by Slim Potatohead, you should check it out. After years with an A-Frame trailer, he recently bought a used Outback/Trillium. I am really looking forward to his renovation ideas. He is an off grid camper, like me. I invited him to join the Fiberglass RV community.

Slim's youtube channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5L...TOx-g/featured
[/QUOTE]
Broke my heart to see him plan to tear out the interior of the Trillium because I thought it was so beautiful, but he is who he is. Been watching Slim for a long time. Love his sensitivity to nature where he travels.
garycarolyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 06:51 PM   #10

Name: Vicki
Trailer: 2019 Scamp 13' with 2015 Nissan Frontier V6
Alabama
I love Slim P. and was excited to see his new FG trailer! I always thought he would like one. Before getting my Scamp I went back and forth over getting an A-liner or a Scamp. Liked them both a lot! I can't wait to see how he likes his new camper.
Vicki Hale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 01:37 AM   #11

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
you have to remember that tinkering with trailers is Slim's real nature and a passion. It keeps his channel going, it never was all about travel, a lot of it is about making modifications to things. He is an inventor at heart, that drives his thinking. He is not an it is fine the way it is right off-the-shelf guy. He is a make-it-my-own kind of guy. One of the I do it my way on the highway and I am going to show you all what exactly my way is in my videos. It generates part of his income that funds his travels to film and present DIY projects.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 07:51 AM   #12

Missouri
while in quartzite

While in Quartzite this year we spotted several minivans parked in the desert.

I had to go over and talk to them. They all had quite interesting set-ups in the little vans. Those Dometic fridges ran off solar, they had microwaves, toaster ovens whatever else they could dream up.

Nice mattresses and lawn chairs all the things we had they just did things differently but were camping too!

I think its interesting when people think outside the box! One guy didn't have much money he had just purchased a van with 180k on it and there he was having fun...

bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCO6 View Post
I've always enjoyed Slim's videos and this was no exception. It's nice to now see ones that I can relate more too.
Old 03-05-2020, 08:59 AM   #13

Name: K
Trailer: C
Iowa
Wow! Been watching him for a looong time.
whoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 09:36 AM   #14

Name: PCO6
Trailer: Cadet
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by k0wtz View Post
While in Quartzite this year we spotted several minivans parked in the desert.

I had to go over and talk to them. They all had quite interesting set-ups in the little vans. Those Dometic fridges ran off solar, they had microwaves, toaster ovens whatever else they could dream up.

Nice mattresses and lawn chairs all the things we had they just did things differently but were camping too!

I think its interesting when people think outside the box! One guy didn't have much money he had just purchased a van with 180k on it and there he was having fun...

bob
I camp with different groups with my 2 trailers (teardrop and expedition). Similar setups but different. My fibreglass trailer (Cadet) is a work in progress and I'll probably camp a bit differently again with that one. My reference was to A frames. I've never been a fan but that's just me. I had my TD in for some warranty work. I met a woman who spent the entire day at the dealership while they tried to solve her A frame leak problem, and didn't. She had it for a year and hadn't been able to camp in it yet!
PCO6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 12:14 PM   #15

Name: Hersh
Trailer: Wonderfully interested
Oregon
Slim

That guy loves thinking outside the box and using anything to do everything he wants.... he doesn't care about form as much as he does function. I love watching his vids. Hopefully he will join in here as he'll add a lot to the group!!! Hope everyone is doing well here this week...
Hersh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 06:20 PM   #16

Name: John
Trailer: 1979 Boler 1700
Michigan
Registry
NEW video: SP got his new camper back from Outback

Checkout the new video Slim Potatohead posted this afternoon. He got his camper back from Outback with the mods he requested. It looks like they did a great job and he is happy. New kitchenette with no sink, re-located converter, etc.

In his next video, he will talk about changes he himself will do to the camper.
John in Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote