Small Four Season Fiberglass Camper? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-21-2013, 12:27 PM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Small Four Season Fiberglass Camper?

Hello Everone:

My wife and I are avid truck campers using a Northstar Laredo and Ford F350 combination. We really enjoy the mobility and convenience of the TC, but we are wanting to transition to a towable as we think about the future and longer trips.

We have visited a couple of camper shows during the past month looking at a number of stick built models, but are a little worried about the durability (think long term usage) of those models.

We really enjoyed a 16' Scamp that we had several years ago but being four season campers we were somewhat limited.

Any suggestions on fiberglass four season models will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Radio
Reggie Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 12:32 PM   #2

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Bigfoot is about the only true 4 season moulded fiberglass trailer out there. Quality trailers too.

If you will not be a lot below freezing, Escape with the extra insulation and dual glazed windows will work well, especially if you add insulation underneath. A much lighter option too.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 12:56 PM   #3

Not Fiberglass but Northwood Manufacturing offers 4 season
Ken C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 02:14 PM   #4

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
I agree, BigFoot is the #1 answer, but leave the Lil' Bigfoot out of the equation, it's well built, but the insulation isn't like on the bigger ones, it's mostly in the floor

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 04:00 PM   #5

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
New Bigfoots will be around $40k equipped and heavy. You may be able to use another brand, lighter and less expensive, depending on your temperature variables.
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 05:34 PM   #6

I agree with cpaharley2008 as far as temperature variables. What sort of weather are you talking about in your 4 seasons? Many people have come up with ideas about combating the cold weather in the eggs and there is a thread under "Full-timing" where they have some discussion on that subject:http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ing-47312.html and I hope that link works since I'm not very computer wise. Are we talking AK winters and southern AZ summers or something less severe?
Cathy P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 05:59 PM   #7

Pennsylvania
Registry
We use our Escape 19' down to 10 degrees in the winter and it is comfortable. I had the winter options installed and feel I could go lower. As long as the heated water hose works I'm happy. No problem with the heat either with the a/c and color and insulation in the summer.
Old 02-21-2013, 06:11 PM   #8

Thanks for the replies. I realize I should have been a little more specific. Most of our winter camping is here in Southwest Tennessee where we have very few days of below freezing temps for 24 hours.

As time allows we will also be traveling to East Tennessee for a week or so and staying in one of the commercial campgrounds in or around Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge area.

After we retire we could see ourselves staying in the Smokey Mountains for longer periods during the winter for some winter day hiking.

Thanks again for all the suggestions.

Radio
Old 02-21-2013, 06:18 PM   #9

Pennsylvania
Registry
There will be a whole lot of Bigfoots and Escapes and Scamps and Casitas in Townsend,Tn
here is link to rally http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...-tn-55587.html
we were there last year. Give you a change to compare models and help you decide. with Tennessee winters, actually any f/g trailer with heat will be good down to freezing. Below that you may want thermal windows and heated/enclosed pads. Check out the rally dates.
Old 02-21-2013, 10:01 PM   #10

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
You should keep your eyes on Fiberglass-rv-4sale.com for used Bigfoots. If its a small trailer you are looking for they have a nice 17'.5 one. If you feel like a road trip there is currently a nice looking one in Portland for sale and a few much bigger ones elsewhere.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 10:23 PM   #11

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Are you folks winter drycampers, or would you be mostly camping with shorepower?

I ask because just about any of our trailers can be kept warm with a 110v hookup, but as others have said, Bigfoot is probably the only real "four season" rig currently on offer that is insulated/protected to no-hookup standards.

I did see an Oliver for sale earlier this year- not a real well-known brand since they only made fifty or so, but it's double-wall and I think may have been insulated to boot.

Used ones are pricey, though not so pricey as a new Bigfoot, from what I hear...

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 10:50 PM   #12

Name: Logan
Trailer: 1976 Scamp 13'
Wisconsin
What kind of camping do you do?
Shore power?
Dry camping?

I have camped for several weeks in my old Coleman popup very comfortably in 15 degree weather. I just kept the heat on and had plenty of propane.

If you have shore power, a small portable electric heater keeps a Scamp or similar size fiberglass unit very toasty without having to run constantly. The propane furnace has no trouble keeping up with such a small unit.
841K9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 05:56 AM   #13

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Remember! Not ALL Bigfoots are four-season trailers. THAT was an option. Do NOT assume. Buyer beware... you may end up with something other than what you want, if you don't check out the details.

Yes, the Oliver is also a four-season trailer and all of them were built that way. It's fully insulated using Lizardskin between the hulls. However, if you find one for sale it's probably going to be close to twice the price of a Bigfoot of the same size. Used Oliver's are still selling for more than what they cost brand new... that is, if you can even find one for sale.

Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 09:48 AM   #14

Currently most of our winter camping in our TC is dry camping. We use our generator when needed and heat the TC using a Wave 3 heater. We leave the roof vent opened slightly to help with the condensation. The Wave 3 heater on low will keep the TC around 70 degrees after running it on high for a while to raise the temp once we get to where we are going.

With the towable, I believe we will use mostly commercial campgrounds when we are wanting to stay longer than just the week-end.

Thanks again for all the helpful information.

Radio
Old 02-22-2013, 10:15 AM   #15

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
This Oliver went up for sale last June and was recently listed again, I think by the same owner. It's in Oregon, which is a long way from Tennessee, though. I notice that the latest ad doesn't have the "price firm" in it....could be some wiggle room in that $35,000.00 price!

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote