small truck - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-16-2003, 06:23 PM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
small truck

just located this site, and found it very informative. my question is, will my chevy S-10, 4 cyl, handle the small scamp or casita tt that are available. i plan to purchase a tt sonn, and would like to consider a small trailer and keep my present truck. any advice would be appricated.

Legacy Posts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2003, 06:32 PM   #2

Oooo, Perry. a 4 cyl? might be slowing down in the hilly country.
But I don't know much about S10's. I think there are some here driving them, but I don't know what size engine. You could try the search button in the upper right corner for S10. I just tried it, and found 18 mentions.
or give it a few days, and maybe they will answer you here.
but either way, welcome.

Old 07-18-2003, 10:57 AM   #3

You would think we don't have any S-10s out there in FiberglassRV land. :wak. maybe they are all out camping which is why we're here in the first place.

Old 07-18-2003, 11:28 AM   #4

I am thinking about the 13' scamp or casita. anyone who has used a similar tt, and a small truck, please give me any suggestions. thanks

Old 07-19-2003, 01:26 AM   #5

I pull a 13' Casita with a 6 cyl Nissan Frontier Desert Runner.
On level ground everything is great. Sometimes it is hard to keep it down to the speed limit, but on a grade I am off to the right in the slow lane with the big rigs.

I don't think I would like to pull it with a 4 cyl.

Scamps are lighter than Casitas........

It would be nice if you could give one a test tow.

That is one of the major reasons I chose a fiberglass tt. I looked at a 3500 pound 15' aluminum and stick trailer. The owner was nice enough to let me test tow it around his neighborhood. I had to back off that purchase right away. It was an eye opener.

Old 07-19-2003, 06:23 AM   #6

4 cylinder

The folks I purchased my egg from, pulled it with a 4-cylinder Puegot (is that spelled right?)station wagon. Yearly, they made a trip from Portland, Oregon to central Texas, where they lived in it for several months. I know they made several trips south with it, before I bought it. Now they have a brand-new 16 foot Scamp. Went to Backus to pick it up, so that meant a couple of thousand miles (east to west). Since this is their third 16 foot Scamp with the same car, it must be okay. I'd say you'd probably have to be satified with slow and safe on most mountain passes. I've told them about this forum, but don't know if they've come in yet.:sunny

Old 07-22-2003, 10:42 AM   #7

Truck

We have a '90 Mazda PU, 2.6 ltr, 4wd that we can tow our Scamp 16' with. It pulls o.k.in MN., but I wouldnt think of taking it to the mountains. It really starts to bog down going up hills. Of course it wouldnt be as bad with a 13'er. I would guess it would depend on where you would be going, and how stuck you are on that truck. Trade it in, or not, keep it for a few years and camp around home, etc. The more power the better for me, (we have a Seinna 6 cl. van we normally pull it with) and I keep dreaming of my new Tundra. It is an on going debate, but checking the towing cap. and weight limits are the key. I had to stop fast for a deer last trip, and even tho everything in the trailer flew forward, it stopped very well with the electric breaks (in the van). You have to take in all of those conciderations. Can it pull it? Probably. But the stopping is more important.
My 2 cents. Hope it was worth it.

Old 07-22-2003, 07:40 PM   #8

small truck

I have a 1990 with a 175K Toyota 4-speed, short bed. I pull a 1973 Playpac around. I have to be careful when 18-wheelers pass me or in a high wind. But I think if I put a sway bar on it it will take care of this. We are a little slow on the road, but this is not much of a truck to be pulling this camper. I average about 55-60 MPH, but if I were set up just a little bit differently I think I could go 70. The last time we went camping we brought the canoe with us and I could tell it was just a little bit too much. When it's time to change out the truck we are heading for a Tacoma. Hope this helps you out.
Charles

Old 07-22-2003, 08:23 PM   #9

Hi,
We tow our 17' Burro with a Volvo 740 GL wagon. We average
60-65MPH on the highway, but you do notice some slowing on hills. Since we are in Massachusetts, there's no real mountains around, but I know it would be a slow trip. As far as sway, we really have had barely any at all, even with tractor trailers going by. Since the trailer and the car are almost exactly the same length, I think that helps. We had to stop quick for a car this weekend and the trailer stopped perfectly. We did have a heavy duty transmission oil cooler put in since Volvo said it was a must. I am also meticulous about how much weight I put inside. I literally weigh everything that goes in the trailer and car (including people and dogs) before we go. ( no weight gains around here or you're out! :laugh ) We have only done 2 trips and about 500 miles total so we'll see how it goes. So far the wagon has been fine and our mechanic says that all is well. The prior owner towed it for 6 years with a 4 cyl Nissan pick-up and said that he never had a problem. That's my 2 cents, hope it helps.
Sharyn

Old 07-22-2003, 08:36 PM   #10

Tow Vehicle

Have you checked with General Motors? Do they say yor truck can pull a trailer that weighs as much as a Scamp, and has the same frontal area as a Scamp?

Whether or not your vehicle can pull a Scamp safely has little to do with the engine. It has a lot to do with how heavy duty the vehicle is. The tow vehicle must stop and turn the trailer, in addition to simply pulling it down the road.

Bottom line: Check with the vehicle manufactirer. Do not exceed their recomendations. If you choose to ignore the manufacturers recomendations, you will likely be disapointed due to not being able to comfortably control your trailer. In the event of an accident, you may find yourself without insurance coverage, or even dead.

-- Dan Meyer

Old 07-22-2003, 10:32 PM   #11

Greetings Perry! I tow my 72 Pay-Pac with a 89 S-10 Blazer 4x4. I have the V-6 and it doesn't even realize it's back there. The guy I bought it from towed with a Mazda Pick-up with a 4 cylinder and lived at the top of this steep long hill (3 miles). He said he never had a problem. But as previously mentioned... check your owners manual!