Smoking Batteries (was: Battery problem in our Parkliner) - Page 5 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-12-2013, 08:25 AM   #81

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Birmingham1 View Post
Could someone attach a picture of where they have added a circuit breaker to the positive battery terminal? Google seaches turn up nada! I am wondering if there is something tailor made for this purpose.
Here are 2 pictures, one is the one found on most trailer frames and the other one found at the battery.
Attached Images

cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 08:43 AM   #82

Name: Mark
Trailer: Parkliner
Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Here are 2 pictures, one is the one found on most trailer frames and the other one found at the battery.
That helps. Any thoughts on where I would purchase something like the second picture? Those appear to be UK companies.
Birmingham1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 08:54 AM   #83

Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2001 Casita Spirit Deluxe (I'm down to 2!)
Quote:
That helps. Any thoughts on where I would purchase something like the second picture? Those appear to be UK companies.
Any Auto Parts Store.
Ed Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 08:57 AM   #84

Pennsylvania
Registry
Advance Auto carries them as does Amazon
Old 05-12-2013, 08:58 AM   #85

Also to answer your question early on in this thread that never was addressed,isn't the wire from the battery to the converter the same wire as from the converter to the battery?

At least this is the way I read your question?

As Tom points out a few posts above this one a breaker between the battery and any loads or charging sources should do the job really.
So if you remove all of the wires on the Positive terminal of the battery and stick those to one side of a fuse or circuit breaker and stick the other side of the fuse or circuit breaker to the positive battery terminal you will have installed the protection between the battery and everything it contacts.

Make Sense?

Ed
Old 05-12-2013, 08:59 AM   #86

Quote:
Advance Auto carries them as does Amazon
Any Auto Parts Store like I said,if not I would not shop there anyway!

These are just standard Auto Parts.
Old 05-12-2013, 09:16 AM   #87

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by P. Raz View Post
It's unfortunate that the name of the thread has been changed to include "Parkliner". It implies a problem with the trailer when neither the batteries nor the converter were made by them. Raz
When you combine someone else's components, you inherently take some responsibility that they will work together as a system. It may turn out that a single component was defective or it may turn out that the converter as installed was not set up so that it would not overcharge a dead gel battery.
Old 05-12-2013, 09:19 AM   #88

Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Harris View Post
Any Auto Parts Store like I said,if not I would not shop there anyway!

These are just standard Auto Parts.
I can find circuit breakers no problem, so I will just try and find a place to mount two of them and buy extra cable for routing. I am unable to find the fancy postive battery terminal fuse holders in the previous picture, as that would seem like the easiest solution. If someone can find a link, please send...perhaps I am not searching correctly (tried Amazon, AutoZone, etc). It seems like, given all of the RV's on the road, someone would have created a battery cable with a breaker built in by now!
Old 05-12-2013, 09:26 AM   #89

Fuses, Fuse Holders And Accessories | Marinco

https://www.google.com/search?client...UTF-8&oe=UTF-8
Old 05-12-2013, 09:50 AM   #90

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
It's unfortunate that the name of the thread has been changed to include "Parkliner". It implies a problem with the trailer when neither the batteries nor the converter were made by them. Raz

Raz, the problem is this was not a good situation - could have been worse. A number of people own this model of trailer and should be aware that there is a potential problem.

The OP mentioned Parkliner has since building their trailer made changes to the battery set-up. The question might be why? Have other owners experienced the same problem with the original set-up? What should those who still have the original set up be doing to correct what could be very dangerous to them?

No one here can say for sure what caused the OP's problem but lots of problem areas have been highlighted - ie apparently no fuse/circuit breaker on the line from the battery which is commonly found on many of our trailers &/or perhaps the convertor wasnt set to handle a gel battery along with a few others suggestions.

If I owned one of these trailers I sure would appreciate hearing of the problem here and taking a look at all of the set-up and suggestions for improving that have been made or at the very least phone Parkliner and get some advise from them as to what should be done to prevent the same thing happening to me as happened to the OP.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 10:43 AM   #91

Name: george
Trailer: FunFinder
Missouri
I would agree there should be a fuse inline at the battery. My trailer has a 30A fuse there. One could likely find a good quality fuse holder at any well stocked auto parts house, such as O'Reilly.
gmw photos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 11:15 AM   #92

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Escape
Here is a link that you might find interesting: Battery Vent? - evolutionm.net Scroll down to the post by "Optima Jim." He is a tech person for Optima, the brand of battery in the ParkLiner.
Old 05-12-2013, 11:16 AM   #93

Amazon.com: In-line ACT Water-resistant Fuse Holder - 10 AWG: Car Electronics
Old 05-12-2013, 11:19 AM   #94

Alabama
The fuse seems like a good idea.

In the case of the Parkliner wiring, there would need to be two, one at each battery. If the fuse on the first battery is tripped, then power to and from both batteries would stop, correct? If it was just the second fuse that was tripped, power would flow to/from just the first battery?

If that is true, a person would just have to remember to regularly check the fuses to make sure they weren't operating at half battery capacity.
Old 05-12-2013, 11:36 AM   #95

Quote:
The fuse seems like a good idea.

In the case of the Parkliner wiring, there would need to be two, one at each battery. If the fuse on the first battery is tripped, then power to and from both batteries would stop, correct? If it was just the second fuse that was tripped, power would flow to/from just the first battery?
You could just put a fuse or circuit breaker at the connection to the first battery. That would only leave the jumper wires between the two batteries unprotected.

Quote:
If that is true, a person would just have to remember to regularly check the fuses to make sure they weren't operating at half battery capacity.
My preference would be to use a self resetting circuit breaker. Fuses can be a pain. You need a spare and I always seem to blow out the spare in the process of diagnosing the problem.
Old 05-12-2013, 11:59 AM   #96

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Escape
I agree with you, Carol. At the core of this issue is the fact that there are some definite problems with at least some of the ParkLiner trailers. Those that put owners at risk need to be addressed and resolved by the company! Not all ParkLiner owners read this forum, so Chandler is ethically obligated to address these issues with the owners. I hope he does!

I started a new thread listing some of the concerns and issues we had with our ParkLiner: http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...tml#post386786

Linda
LindaK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 12:38 PM   #97

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Grilled Cheesiest Anyone

Quote:
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I didn't see any mention of a Progressive Dynamics power chassis, but I may have missed it. If they used the PD4045 it has a provision for gel cell charging that should have been set up by the Parkliner factory.

That said, what parts the builder chooses to install can reflect on the builder as much as the parts source. The power chassis that S@@@P used in the early 00's was about the cheapest unit available from china and it's failures were well documented. The "American" (brand) power center in our new Coleman fits the description of cheesiest.

I don't know anything about the battery brand used, but I was totally unimpressed by the use of "Plumbers tape" to hold the batteries in place.

Sooooo.... If Parkliner doesn't want negative publicity about their build, they should take steps to not have a need for any dirty laundry to be aired.

But, the bottom line is that it could have been a component failure in a quality product that led to the problem.

In any case, Parkliner should be more proactive in identifying the problem and, perhaps, should have had a local RV service center look into the problem rather than leaving it up to the owners to figure out what went wrong to a unit that is, apparently, still in warranty.

-30-

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 05:30 PM   #98

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit View Post
Battery placement has been revised but the hanger strapping retained. Aren't there better holddown/racks available for AGMs? Deryk's looks like the strap is in close proximity to the terminal but he's had no scary incident that I've heard about. The strapping does look like a cheap and cheerful make do IMO.

jack
Jack, that was one of my first fix's
Attached Thumbnails
NewBatteryStrap.jpg  

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.... J.R.R. Tolkien
deryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 05:47 PM   #99

Pennsylvania
Registry
Doesn't anyone use battery boxes anymore? These metal and plastic straps will not contain a battery properly. The batteries need to be inside a battery box that is secured to the trailer, preferably outside.
Old 05-12-2013, 06:02 PM   #100

Quote:
Doesn't anyone use battery boxes anymore? These metal and plastic straps will not contain a battery properly. The batteries need to be inside a battery box that is secured to the trailer, preferably outside.
Many more manufacturers use them than not?
For some reason though Parkliner is one that does not.....yet?