Snoozy is back! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-04-2020, 06:06 PM   #1

Name: Vicki
Trailer: 2019 Scamp 13' with 2015 Nissan Frontier V6
Alabama
Snoozy is back!

The Lil' Snoozy is now the Snoozy II
I just watched a You Tube video with the Runaway Roses that gives a tour.
Here is the link to the video: https://youtu.be/wL59gDbdz98
or do a You Tube search for Snoozy 2
The Snoozy website is snoozy2.com
Vicki Hale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 09:01 AM   #2

Name: Walter
Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
SW Virginia
Snoozy II had a new model at the Hiawassee rally. Good to see the brand continuing. I sure wish Parkliner would find a reliable owner and continue. That's one fine trailer too.

Walt
Old 06-05-2020, 10:40 AM   #3

Name: John
Trailer: '71 Boler, '87 Play-Mor II
Deep South
Walt,
I heard that Outback Trillium in Canada bought the Parkliner Molds from Liberty Outdoors with plans to continue it. Unfortunately there are a lot of people who have openly stated having been done wrong by Trillium from what I have heard. A friend of mine said he paid a grand to them for an awning for his trailer several years ago and never received it only excuses. They promised us sponsorship last year and got free advertising as they didn't live up to their end of the commitment. I won't do business with them. But I do love the Parkliner just wish another company had picked them up.

John
Old 06-05-2020, 02:42 PM   #4

Name: Mike
Trailer: Escape 21 & Jeep GC 5.7 (Previous 2012 Casita FD17 & 2010 Audi Q5)
Puget Sound, WA
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicki Hale View Post
The Lil' Snoozy is now the Snoozy II
I just watched a You Tube video with the Runaway Roses that gives a tour.
Judging by the video, they are in the process of learning about travel trailers and fiberglass. He says that they 'know trailers', but Wesco had basically only built boat trailers, including the frames and wheels under Allen Smoak's Little Snoozies.

I'll venture there's still a lot they have to learn about travel trailers but wish them luck. I always liked their layout and the available large tilt-up windows on the curb side.

Off-the-wall comment, I've always wondered if the aerodynamics would be improved by mounting the cabin with the door at the front and the "boat tail" to the rear.
Attached Thumbnails
Aerodynamics Drag003.jpg  

Civilguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 07:43 AM   #5

Name: Bob
Trailer: Scamp
Florida
Some of the really old airstreams had the dor in the front of a curved nose. Enter over the tongue.
Bob Durrstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 07:53 AM   #6

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
I’ll bet Mike was thinking of the Bowlus Road Chief.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0397.JPG
Views:	32
Size:	85.7 KB
ID:	135225

I don’t think the slab back of the Snoozy would do any better aerodynamically if it faced forward, though. You really need contouring on both ends. The Oxygen with some tapering of the roof height over the ends might be about as good as it gets in a full-height, full-featured travel trailer.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 08:45 AM   #7

SW Virginia
I was at the Mt Baker rv rally in Sept '17 and saw several trailers with doorway over the tongue. And BTW that's one of the largest and most fun rallies anywhere. Not specifically FG, but the most amazing array of vintage trailers assembled anywhere. Literally hundreds.

Walt
Old 06-06-2020, 11:04 AM   #8

Name: Carl
Trailer: LiL Hauley
Syracuse, NY
Wesco is not going into this venture blindly. Alan owns the building and had his contract with Richard written so the business went back to him if Richard failed. I am sure Alan is setting them on the right path. Snoozy trailers are a solid design and they will be around for a long time.
Old 06-06-2020, 12:00 PM   #9

SW Virginia
I hope you are right. I have to say the talk at Hiawassee was hopeful but not totally reassuring. They have a high learning curve and I hope Allan can get them there.

Walt
Old 06-06-2020, 12:11 PM   #10

Puget Sound, WA
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
I don’t think the slab back of the Snoozy would do any better aerodynamically if it faced forward, though. You really need contouring on both ends.
The Bowlus Road Chief certainly derives from that great era of aero design! Likewise the Hunt Housecar, another timeless beauty!

Click image for larger version

Name:	1937-hunt-house-car-f.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	78.7 KB
ID:	135233

I was actually a bit surprised when I ran across the picture I posted previously in post #4 suggesting that a tow-vehicle-mounted deflector could match the benefit of a contoured trailer front. While it's from a collection of images I keep, it was a reminder to me when I dug it out for posting.

When I was considering building a travel trailer from an aluminum V-nosed cargo trailer, I was prepared to ask if they would mount it reversed, or build it double-V-nosed. I'm shameless I guess!

Old 06-06-2020, 12:16 PM   #11

Puget Sound, WA
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlD View Post
Wesco is not going into this venture blindly. Alan owns the building and had his contract with Richard written so the business went back to him if Richard failed. I am sure Alan is setting them on the right path. Snoozy trailers are a solid design and they will be around for a long time.
I'm glad to see you supporting the Snoozy trailer after Alan disappointed you over the axle damage issue back in late 2013.

As I said, I wish them success. I just think that they've got a ways to go in terms of understanding the needs and nuances of travel trailers as compared to those who've been manufacturing them for decades.

Old 06-06-2020, 04:57 PM   #12

Name: Carl
Trailer: LiL Hauley
Syracuse, NY
Mike,

You must be thinking of someone else regarding the axle issue. I have read about it. I got my trailer in December 2018. I identified so many things I would change in a finished snoozy that I decided to purchase an empty shell and build it the way I wanted it. We have put over 25k miles on it and only had one issue. I didn't see a major frost heave just south of Denali last summer and I think the front tires of my truck became air born when we hit it. It bent the tongue up about 1/2 inch. The snoozy tongue flexes quite a bit when towing but it makes the trailer ride better. I always thought a springy tongue trailer would tow well because it dampens the rotational inertia effect when the TV and trailer go over bumps at different times. It just has to be strong enough to avoid plastic deformation. The things that drove my decision are the shell construction, rear door, and galvanized trailer. There is really nothing to rot in the structure and its a great platform to build on because you can screw components to the walls and they don't protrude thru the hull.
Old 06-06-2020, 05:25 PM   #13

Puget Sound, WA
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlD View Post
Mike,
You must be thinking of someone else regarding the axle issue.
Ah, yes, the "Lil Hauley" threw me off; yes, I was thinking of another forum member.

Glad to hear you're liking the trailer!

Old 06-10-2020, 04:11 PM   #14

Name: john
Trailer: pleasureway class B
Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Civilguy View Post
Judging by the video, they are in the process of learning about travel trailers and fiberglass. He says that they 'know trailers', but Wesco had basically only built boat trailers, including the frames and wheels under Allen Smoak's Little Snoozies.

I'll venture there's still a lot they have to learn about travel trailers but wish them luck. I always liked their layout and the available large tilt-up windows on the curb side.

Off-the-wall comment, I've always wondered if the aerodynamics would be improved by mounting the cabin with the door at the front and the "boat tail" to the rear.
your chart re; aerodynamics is interesting, i am taking from the data that as a pull behind trailer it makes a difference. I assumed that it would much better, than pulling a "box" but your info is showing different. I would say that if the snoozy were alone with an engine it's Cd would be fantastic, but in a hitched situation there seems to be a "pulldown" effect of air at the hitch and then back and over. ha, who would have thought, thanks.
budaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 04:21 AM   #15

Name: Jack
Trailer: Casita Liberty
Virginia
Glad to see some of the improvements. I read the price was going to be $28K. That's to much. I bought last year a fully loaded Casita for 23K. You can buy a very nice Escape for that price.
jgilliam1955 is offline   Reply With Quote