Snoozy Owner Q. - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-26-2021, 03:08 PM   #1

Name: RJ
Trailer: Lil Snoozy
Arizona
Snoozy Owner Q.

Just got back from camping in Utah... really cold! Wife not happy. Ran the generator for the little portable heater which worked well. Two questions:
#1 Any suggestions for keeping the Snooze warm w/o running the generator? Especially at night. Better insulation ideas?
#2 How long, on average, does it take to get the water relatively warm? Turned the thermostat up to highest setting, ran the generator for over two hours and the water still wasn't getting very warm. Patience?
LifeandCamping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021, 03:47 PM   #2

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Water should get hot a lot faster than that. Challenge with all electric rig your choices are limited. Most state and national parks have very restrictive generator rules.

Also if there are other campers near you, you may get generator HATE. It’s almost like politics. People are either OK with them or hate them.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021, 04:26 PM   #3

Name: Carl
Trailer: LiL Hauley
Syracuse, NY
Many, including me, have outfitted theirs Snoozy's with propane. Stove, Propex heater and on demand hot water. Works great. I also added a layer of reflectix to the walls and cork on the floors.
Old 05-26-2021, 04:41 PM   #4

Name: Bill
Trailer: Lil Snoozy / Jeep Cherokee
Pennsylvania
Registry
Never had the issue you describe with the water heater but I have always used shore power for hot water.
I have covered all my walls and bed platform with reflectix. I have also made window covers out of reflectix and contact paper on one side of the reflectix that I attach with velcro.
I do have propane and when my hot water heater eventually fails I will replace it with an on demand water heater.
Bill in Pittsburgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021, 11:21 PM   #5

Name: David
Trailer: Former 13’Scamp, now Snoozy
Arizona
Registry
Running our Yamaha 2000i generator will get the water to fully hot in 20 minutes. You may have a defective heating element, or under powered generator.
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2021, 11:26 AM   #6

Name: RJ
Arizona
Snoozy Reply

Thanks for the great ideas on how to keep our Snoozy (or as one of our friends calls it, the "Little Cuddly"). I've already gotten the reflectix and will get use it on the windows. Pull out carpet will also be installed along with either gym matting, carpet or simple "puzzle" type exercise matting for under the bed. As for the water heater, I will play with the Honda generator that came with the Snooz this summer and see if it's the problem. If it is, that will be very discouraging. For those who warned me about being a bad camper when using the generator... I hear you loud and clear!
LifeandCamping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2021, 02:53 PM   #7

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Registry
RJ,
I do not know what brand Snoozy uses for a water heater, but a 6 gallon Suburban water heater electric element’s specification is 1,440 watts. Therefore, a Honda EU2000i or EU2200i puts out more than enough power to operate it. Determine who the manufacturer of the water heater is and go on line for its specs. If the wattage is around 1,440, I would replace the element to start. They are not that expensive. And do not try to run the A/C and water heater at the same time; the Honda does not have the necessary capacity.
C&G in FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 11:26 AM   #8

Name: Douglas
MD
Registry
Agreeing with what others said.

Propane furnace works great - ours is a Propex.

The Honda heats the water in a few minutes, like 15 minutes.
Air Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 06:40 PM   #9

Name: Mitzi
Trailer: LilSnoozy 12/01/16, Tug 2012 Dodge Citadel
Florida
RJ- sorry to respond so late but have been offline over a month. Irespond always to the "how to stay warm" threads as follows:
1. Native Americans/First Nationers/Inuit/Aleut would grease up well all over their bodies first. Plus my relatives who were on swim teams, especially during 6 a.m. winter midwestern team practices- a thin layer of petroleum jelly works well.
2. There's a reason why our forbears wore nightcaps. We lose up to 30% of our body heat thru the head. Hence the cowboy saying "if your feet get cold put on a hat!"
3. Layering works but READ your Labels and remember - COTTON KILLS! Any sort of linen, silk, or wool, with layers of artificial fibers- rayon, nylon, acrylic, polyester, etc! 2 shirts and 2 pairs pants plus socks!
4. Layer your bedding. I had a Celiant mattress cover, a bottom sheet that was a polyester fleece sheet, a top sheet that was a polyester fleece sheet, a polyester sheet blanket over that.
5. I bought an ornamental type shower curtain to use to wall off the mattress alcove, but haven't been successful in figuring out how to rig it up yet.
6. I found a 60 watt electric heater on Amazon. I'm comfy with that, and rarely use the 1000/1500 watt heater that came with the Snoozy.
7. We have 3 cats that travel with us and help keep us warm at night. Remember 3 Dog Night is not just a rock group!
Old 06-18-2021, 07:17 PM   #10

Name: Charlie
Trailer: 2014 Lil Snoozy
North Carolina
Registry
Your water heater has quit. You can buy a Lil Buddy propane heater that uses the little portable bottles. It will be all the heat you need off grid. Crack a window to protect from carbon monoxide.
charlsara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 01:43 AM   #11

Trailer: Oliver
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitzi Agnew-Giles View Post
2. There's a reason why our forbears wore nightcaps. We lose up to 30% of our body heat thru the head. Hence the cowboy saying "if your feet get cold put on a hat!"
This is a long standing myth that most likely stems from a poor scientific study by the US army during the 1950s. The participants were dressed in arctic survival clothes and then exposed to freezing weather. The only part of their bodies left uncovered was their heads leading the researchers to erroneously believe that the head was the major source of the body's heat loss.

The head doesn’t lose more heat than any other parts of the body. The heat lost from any part of the body is actually directly proportional to the amount of skin area that is exposed to cold air. In other words, we don’t lose more heat from our heads. Studies show that having your head immersed in cold water only adds 10% to your overall heat loss in a cold pool. And given that the head accounts for 7% to 9% of the body’s surface area, that seems about right.
Steve Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 07:17 PM   #12

Name: Herman
Trailer: shopping
LA
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPW View Post
RJ,
I do not know what brand Snoozy uses for a water heater, but a 6 gallon Suburban water heater electric element’s specification is 1,440 watts. Therefore, a Honda EU2000i or EU2200i puts out more than enough power to operate it. Determine who the manufacturer of the water heater is and go on line for its specs. If the wattage is around 1,440, I would replace the element to start. They are not that expensive. And do not try to run the A/C and water heater at the same time; the Honda does not have the necessary capacity.
I'm guessing he ran the 1500 watt electric heater at the same time as the water heater. Little power was left over to run the water heat.
chuckklr98 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lil snoozy