so...how strong of a wind would it take to blow one of these campers over? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-18-2013, 08:34 AM   #1

Name: KAYAK
Trailer: 2007 casita freedom deluxe-2013 tacoma
New Hampshire
so...how strong of a wind would it take to blow one of these campers over?

would it be harder to do it if it was hitched up? would it be harder or easier if you were driving? i do remember its better to slow down when really windy so i guess it would be better to be stopped.

this is a real question...my favorite places to park are on top of cliffs that go down to ocean...and 2 days ago in 20mph winds i was afraid to do it. i moved back. could a wind really blow me over? the camper was broadside to the wind and shaking real bad.
lpk49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 08:51 AM   #2

Name: george
Trailer: FunFinder
Missouri
A 20 mph wind is nothing. As to the rest of your question, too many variables to say, really, but a "guess" would be that your trailer could easily withstand 40 mph sidewinds, and probably more. But again, I am just guessing. It's windy here in the midwest a lot of the time, we have numerous days a year where winds gust to 40 mph, and it would be rare to hear of a camper blowing over on days like that.

At Lake Waconda in Kansas, some of the RV sites have tiedown anchors buried in the ground to facilitate securing the camper to the ground.
gmw photos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 09:11 AM   #3

Missouri
regarding hitched vs not hitched, it seems likely that if it started to blow over while hitched to the truck, and the point that the hitch "binds up", then it could be argued that might keep the trailer from going on over. Might not though too if the gust really hit hard at the same time the trailer is up on one wheel.
One could likely argue that if the weight distributing bars were hooked up, they too would provide some additional resistance to a blow over.
Honestly, there are just so many variables in a possible scenario, about all we can do is generalize.
Old 05-18-2013, 10:06 AM   #4
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Airstream Sold, Nest Fan
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw photos View Post
A 20 mph wind is nothing. As to the rest of your question, too many variables to say, really, but a "guess" would be that your trailer could easily withstand 40 mph sidewinds, and probably more.
I agree.

A few years ago we woke up in the early morning to a loud roaring sound. Then a series of very loud thumps. Got up and went outside. A huge wind storm just went through the campground* and took down many trees all around us. Not one RV had been turned over and inside our trailer we felt nothing.

Anything egg shaped does handle winds well.

*Lake of Two Rivers, Algonquin PP, Ontario Canada
Attached Thumbnails
algonquin tree 1 IMG_4907.jpg   algonquin tree 2 IMG_4900.jpg  

MC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 10:10 AM   #5

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by lpk49 View Post
would it be harder to do it if it was hitched up? would it be harder or easier if you were driving? i do remember its better to slow down when really windy so i guess it would be better to be stopped.

this is a real question...my favorite places to park are on top of cliffs that go down to ocean...and 2 days ago in 20mph winds i was afraid to do it. i moved back. could a wind really blow me over? the camper was broadside to the wind and shaking real bad.
After many calculations and much thought I consulted with the BBW.
He says "more than a trailer of straw or a stickbuilt...but less than a trailer made of bricks!"

We once camped on this ledge ( no wind) .I chocked the wheels but my wife would not go inside the camper until I found a couple of big rocks as a supplement! Of course there is a plus side to leaving the TV hooked -up as an anchor point but then you wouldn't have anything to drive after that long and exhausting climb up the cliff.
Attached Thumbnails
05 stone mt 036.jpg  
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 11:53 AM   #6

Name: Imogene
Trailer: 2013 Casita
Missouri
thanks for the thread and replys. I am leaving tomorrow from south central Missouri toward Nevada, Mo. on to Iona, Kan.. then Monday across the southern flint hills to McPherson, Kan., and on up to Mindin, Neb. on Tuesday and wednesday. I will be pulling a 17 ft. Casita with a v-8, mid sized engine, Tundra. An outbreak of severe storms are predicted for tonite in Kansas into sunday morning or so. Hitting West Mo. Sunday eve and advancing toward the rest of Mo.for Monday and Tuesday. I have given myself plenty of time to travel so can be flexible in when and where I stay although I would like to spend Monday p.m. with my niece in McPherson and help keep their combine company under cover.

Your thoughts on unhooking tug from trailer for first night between Ft. Scott-Iona, kans.? Was to going to stay in a state park, but think I best find a commercial park due to potential personal protection in a town with shelters, if necessary. Call me chicken, but I hate tornado season with the thunder, lightening, straight line winds, and swirling winds. Any advice from anyone besides stay home and wait for storms to go farther east.....if i did that, with the predicted rain for my place would not be able to get across the wet weather creek that goes across my place?

Thanks for any helpful hints.
Imo. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 12:42 PM   #7

Missouri
I agree that caution is a good thing, but I wonder if maybe you are overthinking this. Just because a potential for severe weather is forecast for the region, doesn't mean it's really gonna hit while you are there. And further still, the odds of the most severe storms occuring right where you are at that exact time are fairly small. If you are that good at hitting the odds, you should buy a lotto ticket !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imo. View Post
thanks for the thread and replys. I am leaving tomorrow from south central Missouri toward Nevada, Mo. on to Iona, Kan.. then Monday across the southern flint hills to McPherson, Kan., and on up to Mindin, Neb. on Tuesday and wednesday. I will be pulling a 17 ft. Casita with a v-8, mid sized engine, Tundra. An outbreak of severe storms are predicted for tonite in Kansas into sunday morning or so. Hitting West Mo. Sunday eve and advancing toward the rest of Mo.for Monday and Tuesday. I have given myself plenty of time to travel so can be flexible in when and where I stay although I would like to spend Monday p.m. with my niece in McPherson and help keep their combine company under cover.

Your thoughts on unhooking tug from trailer for first night between Ft. Scott-Iona, kans.? Was to going to stay in a state park, but think I best find a commercial park due to potential personal protection in a town with shelters, if necessary. Call me chicken, but I hate tornado season with the thunder, lightening, straight line winds, and swirling winds. Any advice from anyone besides stay home and wait for storms to go farther east.....if i did that, with the predicted rain for my place would not be able to get across the wet weather creek that goes across my place?

Thanks for any helpful hints.
Old 05-18-2013, 01:07 PM   #8

Trailer: 2005 13 ft Scamp / 2004 Honda Odyssey
Imogene, I am with you on the tornado season. We will delay leaving tomorrow morning for that reason. See you in Minden.

When We just overnight somewhere we often do not detach the trailer from the car. We just take some weight off the hitch by giving the crank a few turns. If I know the direction the wind is coming from and can face into the wind I would prefer that to having a cross wind. We also put down our stabilizers because I don't like the trailer to move around. Doesn't help if a tornado comes along.

Nancy
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 01:14 PM   #9

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
We saw a popup camper blow over on to is side on the Outer Banks NC once. Roofs of a few others broken and bent, tents blown away. The popup that blew over was small and light weight, we were in one next to it and were OK. With the rounded shape of a Casita I would think there would be less chance. LPK, don't you have a little dog that looks like Toto, that may be cause for concern. <_<
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 01:42 PM   #10

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
If I'm driving in (sustained) winds severe enough for me to "feel" them pushing the trailer sideways, I stop until they die down. And when stopped in those circumstances, I make sure to park nose into the wind and keep the tug hooked up.

Also, since lots of my camping is in windy country, I make sure of nose-upwind orientation if intending to unhook the trailer.

Only last month, I had to move out of an oceanfront spot to a less "desirable" place in a park for just this reason....the view was great, but taking 30mph hour sustained winds broadside sorta crimped the mirth.

Francesca

P.S.

Of course, I'm talking about more or less "unidirectional" winds...if I lived in tornado country, nothing on earth could induce me to get anywhere near the road/trailer if twisters were predicted!

F.
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 01:51 PM   #11

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
I believe when wind gusts exceed 45 mph that restrictions are placed on bridges here on the east coast. Anything higher maybe the threshold for tumbling.
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 02:02 PM   #12

Missouri
Appreciate the suggestions. Nose into the wind sounds like the way to go, if possible. Winds will be out of the northwest crashing into SE winds or so it appears.

George, I saw Joplin a week after that hit, as a volunteer. And, I did buy a lottery ticket this morning. I know the weather stations get all excited about impending or potential storms....and it is rare for the heart of the ozarks to get hit cause of our hills...but having lived in NE Okla. for a bit and spending nites in storm cellars as a child with a tornado going overhead, I do get a little concerned. Besides, I just saw a production of the "Wizard of Oz" which took place in Kansas. LOL Will be calm, cool, and collected as I drive, and realize my chances of winning the lottery is about the same as being close to a tornado or even worse, straight line 60-70 MPH winds.

Nancy, looking forward to meeting you and others in Minden.
Old 05-18-2013, 02:09 PM   #13

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Imogene,
I have your B@l in my truck to bring to Minden.
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 07:20 PM   #14

Missouri
Thanks Jim....looking forward to learning how to use the B@L so i can get a better level. Also looking forward to meeting you.
Old 05-18-2013, 08:02 PM   #15

New Hampshire
well...it wasnt a stupid question then. i'm not the only one who thinks about this. when i first bought the camper a few years ago my plan was to visit my kids in NJ,NY,Chicago and CA. that year there were more tornadoes than i ever heard of before. 100 in one night down by KS and OK and even near chicago where i was going to stay there were some. then i talked to a guy with a camper in a walmart parking lot and he told me about going over the mts to CA and i figured "toto" and i shouldnt try to do that alone. so now i stick pretty close to home.

george and charley mentioned 40-45 mph. that might be my cut-off. we had worse winds when it was parked in the driveway this winter and i never even thought about it...and driving the other day wasnt bad. it was being in it with sidewinds...alot of noise and movement.

when in the drive it is parked between a fence and the house...so maybe they break the wind.

we get hurricanes a lot with 60 plus winds. so those will be days to stay home i guess. thanks for the info. and good luck to those venturing out into tornado land.
Old 05-18-2013, 08:55 PM   #16

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
And to think that some peeps are afraid to move to California because of earthquakes.

A good 5.0 earthquake is like an "E-ticket" ride. I'll take those vs. a tornado any day.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 06:38 AM   #17

New Hampshire
yeah...canada just got a 5...wonder if anyone on here felt it. so many of you are from CA i guess you just take it in stride. friends up north felt it. and blizzards are not fun...but you usually have a chance to make a plan. but with a tornado-who knows where it will go???thats not a risk-taking behavior that turns me on. but i have friends who have grown up in the midwest-right where those guys above are going...and they never had any damage. hope everyone stays safe.
Old 05-19-2013, 09:43 AM   #18

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by lpk49 View Post
well...it wasnt a stupid question then. i'm not the only one who thinks about this. when i first bought the camper a few years ago my plan was to visit my kids in NJ,NY,Chicago and CA. that year there were more tornadoes than i ever heard of before. 100 in one night down by KS and OK and even near chicago where i was going to stay there were some. then i talked to a guy with a camper in a walmart parking lot and he told me about going over the mts to CA and i figured "toto" and i shouldnt try to do that alone. so now i stick pretty close to home.

george and charley mentioned 40-45 mph. that might be my cut-off. we had worse winds when it was parked in the driveway this winter and i never even thought about it...and driving the other day wasnt bad. it was being in it with sidewinds...alot of noise and movement.

when in the drive it is parked between a fence and the house...so maybe they break the wind.

we get hurricanes a lot with 60 plus winds. so those will be days to stay home i guess. thanks for the info. and good luck to those venturing out into tornado land.
Do the neighbors complain when your house breaks wind?
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 10:05 AM   #19

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
And to think that some peeps are afraid to move to California because of earthquakes.

A good 5.0 earthquake is like an "E-ticket" ride. I'll take those vs. a tornado any day.

Not me! I grew up in CA and having lived in CO on and off for almost 30 years I will take tornados any day! I can see them coming, there is no warning for earthquakes!

My brother rode out a 6. something in a johnny gump on a job site! I personally would never be in a "johnny gump but I can assure you, if so I would have just died right there!

During tornado season, we are certainly more aware of our weather radio. It sends out a alarm hours/days ahead alerting of the possibility of a tornado. I like the heads up! Never got a earthquake heads up until we in the middle of the shaking and quaking!
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 01:08 PM   #20

New Hampshire
no floyd...no complaints. i'm getting to know you guys a little now and i guess you are the class clown! thx for the laugh. i need laughs these days.