So no more Casita 13ft 😔 - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-04-2017, 11:17 AM   #21

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by classicham View Post
The ones close to me have been sold. The others are too far from me.
I have always said... Its a travel trailer, if you don't like to travel, you don't really need a trailer!
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 11:30 AM   #22

Name: Abraham
Trailer: in the market
Texas
I understand but I am not going to travel half of the U.S just to find out the camper I wanted was undersold, nor do I want to take the risk of traveling so far just so its not what was advertised. Its happened to me before, thats why Ive been looking for something local. I don't mind waiting some more for the right one.
classicham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 11:35 AM   #23

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
I understand but I am not going to travel half of the U.S just to find out the camper I wanted was undersold, nor do I want to take the risk of traveling so far just so its not what was advertised. Its happened to me before, thats why Ive been looking for something local. I don't mind waiting some more for the right one.
In order to find something locally, if you're not picky about brand, you need to join ALL the all-molded towable forums. Not ALL trailers that are put up for sale are posted across all the forums. Fiberglass-rv-4sale does a pretty good job of scooping for sale ads. But often by time those are posted, the trailer is already sold or has a buyer in the wings.

You snooze, you lose.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 11:41 AM   #24

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Quote:
The ones close to me have been sold. The others are too far from me.
I guess only you can define "Close " & "Far "
It is about 1100 miles from Texas to Scamp in Backus Mn
It is approx 2250 miles from Texas to Escape in Chilliwack BC
We traveled from Northern Wisconsin to Rice Texas to pickup our Casita , a trip of approx 1100 miles
We drove 600 miles to view an Escape 21 and over 200 miles to view a Casita . To us the search was half the fun
I think Floyd stated it perfectly , "It's a travel trailer ".
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 11:43 AM   #25

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
In order to find something locally, if you're not picky about brand, you need to join ALL the all-molded towable forums. Not ALL trailers that are put up for sale are posted across all the forums. Fiberglass-rv-4sale does a pretty good job of scooping for sale ads. But often by time those are posted, the trailer is already sold or has a buyer in the wings.

You snooze, you lose.
You are correct, I've tried different sites. Ive been looking daily.
Old 01-04-2017, 11:44 AM   #26

Name: Walter
Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
SW Virginia
One thing that sometimes helps when you see one advertised you think might have your name on it is to ask if someone on the forums who lives nearby can take a look at it for you. That also verifies it's a bona fide ad and not a scam.

Oh yes, and I've seen Casitas advertised that were not posted on either Casita forum, another reason to check all forums, and also Craig's List. I sold my Patriot on CL overnight, before I even had time to post it on any forums.

Walt
Old 01-04-2017, 12:02 PM   #27

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaltP View Post
One thing that sometimes helps when you see one advertised you think might have your name on it is to ask if someone on the forums who lives nearby can take a look at it for you. That also verifies it's a bona fide ad and not a scam.

Oh yes, and I've seen Casitas advertised that were not posted on either Casita forum, another reason to check all forums, and also Craig's List. I sold my Patriot on CL overnight, before I even had time to post it on any forums.

Walt

Very good information Walt. Too many scams out there nowadays.
Old 01-04-2017, 12:06 PM   #28

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
I have always said... Its a travel trailer, if you don't like to travel, you don't really need a trailer!
I know you meant that somewhat tongue-in-cheek, but for some a "travel" trailer is an ersatz mountain cabin, lake cottage, or beach bungalow- kept for shorter trips nearer home. Owning a trailer does not necessarily mean you desire to wander the continent. I believe you yourself recently poo-poo'd the new National Parks Senior Pass in part because most of them are in the West. Too far?
Quote:
...I would not bother to buy one at the new rate for a couple of reasons.
I live east of the Mississippi where there are only ten parks compared to 49 west of it…
We can seldom afford the time or expense of an RV trip to the far West, where the vast majority of National Parks reside, so it would take many years to financially justify the purchase of the Pass….
In addition, for folks who are still working, jumping on a 1000 mile round trip on a few hours' notice to inspect a used trailer that may or not be as represented is just not practical. I've been in that position. Before I purchased our Scamp several small pop-ups sold before I could get to them, and they were only a few hours away. It all worked out splendidly in the end because the Scamp eventually appeared right in my backyard, and it turned out to be exactly what we needed.

Establish your needs, set your boundaries (price, condition, distance), be somewhat flexible, be very patient. And be realistic… if you want a 5 year old or newer Casita Patriot Deluxe for under $5K and within 50 miles of home, you'd better be very patient, indeed! As the search prolongs, you may have to refine your expectations, and that's okay.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 12:24 PM   #29

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
Take long enough to find your trailer and perhaps you will retire and have the time by then.
Of course I bought a '86 in Mineral Wells TX. and we live in Mobile, AL.
We bought the trailer, paid more than we should have rebuilt it just the way we wanted it and have about $8500 in it with new floor (3/4" ply fiberglass / epoxy both sides, mini- split heat pump, front custom bath, twin beds, compressor refrig, new flexiRide axle,still needs paint.
It finished heavier than I originally planned, but it what we wanted and heavy duty too.

Look out for rotted floors in all of them if not pretty new.
If old you can be buying a project instead of a travel trailer just like I did, but I don't regret it. I just dug in and built what I really wanted.
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 03:52 PM   #30

Name: Nelson
Trailer: 2017 16' Casita Liberty Deluxe
California
I had been looking for a used 13 ft. Casita or Scamp for several months but they seldom become available in Northern California. So in November, I decided on a new unit. Scamps delivery schedule was late August at the time (too late for me to get much use out of it this coming summer). Casita offered a late April delivery, which I thought was a good time to drive the 2000 miles each way to Texas and back.
At the time they were still offering the Patriot, but I opted for the 16 ft. Liberty Deluxe because it was the same height (7’ 8”) and width (6’ 8”). The Liberty will still fit into my garage which has a 7’ 10” clearance. The base prices were fairly close $15.1K for the 13’ Patriot Deluxe and $16.2K for the 16’ Liberty Deluxe (both on sale at the time). I added some options and the final price is $16.9K.
Another reason that I opted for the slightly larger trailer was that I wanted my wife to enjoy it with me. She can be claustrophobic at times. She was relatively cool to the subject at the time I bought it, but now, she is getting pumped about outfitting and decorating the unit and is also excited about the trip to and from Texas.
My point is, you might want to consider one of the 16’ Casitas since the price differential between the 13’ Patriot and the 16’ Liberty/Spirit/ Freedom is not that much
Nelsonex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 05:16 PM   #31

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
I know you meant that somewhat tongue-in-cheek, but for some a "travel" trailer is an ersatz mountain cabin, lake cottage, or beach bungalow- kept for shorter trips nearer home. Owning a trailer does not necessarily mean you desire to wander the continent. I believe you yourself recently poo-poo'd the new National Parks Senior Pass in part because most of them are in the West. Too far?

In addition, for folks who are still working, jumping on a 1000 mile round trip on a few hours' notice to inspect a used trailer that may or not be as represented is just not practical. I've been in that position. Before I purchased our Scamp several small pop-ups sold before I could get to them, and they were only a few hours away. It all worked out splendidly in the end because the Scamp eventually appeared right in my backyard, and it turned out to be exactly what we needed.

Establish your needs, set your boundaries (price, condition, distance), be somewhat flexible, be very patient. And be realistic… if you want a 5 year old or newer Casita Patriot Deluxe for under $5K and within 50 miles of home, you'd better be very patient, indeed! As the search prolongs, you may have to refine your expectations, and that's okay.
Absolutely correct! Thank you for the advice.
Old 01-04-2017, 05:55 PM   #32

Name: percy
Trailer: shopping
Washington
not a cassita

I have a 13 ft U Haul very similar to a Cassita

See at Craigs list treasure coast "1985 U-Haul"
Nice little fully refurbished little unit

perce111@aol.com

Have a good day
perce111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 11:27 AM   #33

Name: RB
Trailer: 1992 Casita Spirit Deluxe
Virginia
time of year

One reason you're not seeing more 13' trailers for sale is probably the time of year. RV sales tend to follow the house sales curve, with many more sales during the longer days and nicer weather of spring, summer, and fall than in winter.

It pays to be patient. Wait for the trailer you want to show up for sale in a viable driving distance from you and then pounce on it. We waited about three months before we grabbed onto the 16' Casita SD we have. The short list was a Scamp, Casita, or Trillium in about that size, and the Casita popped up first.

Another thing I'd note is that it's not the years but the maintenance. A new molded fiberglass trailer isn't really any nicer than a 10 year old trailer that has been well cared for. There may be features on the newer trailer that you want, but then they may also be features you don't want.

Ours was listed here, btw, and we drove about three hours to check it out. I towed it to a friend's driveway near where we bought it and spent our first night in it there.
steelypip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 12:26 PM   #34

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
It all worked out splendidly in the end because the Scamp eventually appeared right in my backyard, and it turned out to be exactly what we needed. Establish your needs, set your boundaries (price, condition, distance), be somewhat flexible, be very patient. And be realistic…
That is my story. FGRVs actually for sale are somewhat scarce around these parts. I looked at a lot of stickies that while priced right just did not make me want to get off my wallet. Finally a friend told me about "my" Scamp just sitting in a guys back yard, it was not really for sale. A phone call, and enough green, pried it loose for me to tow home and enjoy. I probably paid a $1000 too much for the condition (I had to put an axle on it immediately, with new rims & tires of course) but these few years and many nights later camping I don't care.
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 05:00 PM   #35

Name: Alice
Trailer: 2018 Casita SD - Kondo A-Go-Go
Utah
Registry
Quote:
My Scamp13 with roof air was stored often inside my garage with an 8' door. I raised the header from 7' for the price of the replacement door (about $250).

While you make a legitimate point (especially since most garage doors are 7')...
A window A/C at floor level is a disadvantage in several other ways.
1] It is at floor level (cold feet, hot head)
2] It is in an area which can no longer be called a closet.(loss of storage)
3] Heat and condensation are generated and vented outside on roof A/C.
4] Small window units are no longer repairable or even rechargeable and they suffer from a more limited service life.

I have installed Window Units as "closet" A/C, under the bench A/C, Window A/C, and through the wall A/C, in various spots in several 13ft trailers. While these worked (some better than others)... none worked as well as a roof A/C, especially if you get a quality unit with a heat strip.
Floyd: I have much respect for your knowledge and enjoyed learning about Scamps from your numerous posts here on FGRV, but have to respectfully disagree with you about a 13' Scamp with roof A/C fitting under an 8' garage door. My previous trailer was a 13' Scamp. And I can say with certain and from first hand experience, that it would not have fit under my precisely 8' garage opening. From the fan cover height to the floor, my 2008 Scamp was 7'9". If I had a cover for an A/C unit on the roof, it would have raised it more than 3". The Scamp did not have any alterations to lower/raise its height from an axle standpoint. Everything was stock. The number one requirement for any future trailer purchase is that it must fit within the 8' opening of the garage. Ofcourse, that limits choices. The A/C that I had installed in the closet of the 2008 Scamp did a very good job overall. That, and the fact it would only cost me $100 to replace it was another bonus.

KONDO A-GO-GO - I GO WHERE I'M TOWED
Wallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 05:16 PM   #36

Name: Clif
Trailer: 08 Weiscraft Little Joe 14 Subaru Outback 2.5i CVT
Louisiana
Registry
Looking at the bright side, I would suspect the value of used 13 footers just went up.
Old 01-11-2017, 11:55 PM   #37

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallo View Post
Floyd: I have much respect for your knowledge and enjoyed learning about Scamps from your numerous posts here on FGRV, but have to respectfully disagree with you about a 13' Scamp with roof A/C fitting under an 8' garage door. My previous trailer was a 13' Scamp. And I can say with certain and from first hand experience, that it would not have fit under my precisely 8' garage opening. From the fan cover height to the floor, my 2008 Scamp was 7'9". If I had a cover for an A/C unit on the roof, it would have raised it more than 3". The Scamp did not have any alterations to lower/raise its height from an axle standpoint. Everything was stock. The number one requirement for any future trailer purchase is that it must fit within the 8' opening of the garage. Ofcourse, that limits choices. The A/C that I had installed in the closet of the 2008 Scamp did a very good job overall. That, and the fact it would only cost me $100 to replace it was another bonus.
You have the right to disagree, but I stated no hypothetical.
I have put my Scamp in and out of my former garage with an 8ft door repeatedly. I think you could call that first hand experience.
Two points...
1] My Scamp is prefire. Almost 3" shorter than your 2008.
2] My A/C is a Coleman Mini-Mach. (9-1/2" tall) Check the picture below. Although mine has a Delta roof antenna and a fan cover.
The antenna is taller than the A/C.
Even a Post Fire 13 with the right A/C can enter an 8ft door by adjusting the tongue while entering. (Again, first hand experience)
Attached Thumbnails
DSCF0034.JPG  
Old 01-12-2017, 01:07 AM   #38

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Floyd, is that with the standard tires or with a smaller wheel?
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 09:10 AM   #39

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
When I picked up my Casita , I saw no 13 fters in production .
I was told the 13 ft Casita made up less than 2% of sales
The majority of Casita's being made /sold are the 17ft.
Casita wants to shorten the lead time for customer orders
It makes sense to me since plant / manufacturing space is at a premium to drop the 13 and concentrate on what sells.
Escape has also abandoned it smaller size trailers because of economic reality . It seems that the 13' is really popular on forums like this but not so in the general market.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 10:32 AM   #40

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borrego Dave View Post
Floyd, is that with the standard tires or with a smaller wheel?
175/80R13 inflated to 50PSI.
Bear in mind that a standard garage door is 7ft. I raised the header on the door (of a former residence) and installed an 8ft door specifically to accept my Scamp.

Tags
casita