So no more Casita 13ft 😔 - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 01-12-2017, 10:46 AM   #41

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Oddly enough, I have been an advocate to Scamp of raising the 13 a couple of inches by going to a zero axle. With the addition of gray water tanks and plumbing I feel that it would add a needed margin.
The original design of the 13 was to allow it to pass under a 7ft door.
It seems, from the commentary here that my suggestion may not be the right choice for every buyer so it might be wise to give the buyer a choice.
If I were to change my axle at some point in the future it would be a zero with custom rubber and 10" brakes. My present shop has a 9ft door, so raising it to a couple of inches over 8ft would not affect my storage.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 11:00 AM   #42

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
When I picked up my Casita , I saw no 13 fters in production .
I was told the 13 ft Casita made up less than 2% of sales
The majority of Casita's being made /sold are the 17ft.
Casita wants to shorten the lead time for customer orders
It makes sense to me since plant / manufacturing space is at a premium to drop the 13 and concentrate on what sells.
Escape has also abandoned it smaller size trailers because of economic reality . It seems that the 13' is really popular on forums like this but not so in the general market.
Yet even with a postfire increase in capacity at Scamp, the demand for the 13 has actually gone up to just over 70% of production sold to the general market.
I think your comment reinforces my position that fiberglass trailers, which started almost exclusively in the small (generally13ft) market, have now bifurcated in the last couple of decades to what is becoming two separate genres. The line being drawn approximately at the 16ft mark.
Old 01-12-2017, 03:07 PM   #43

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
When you talked to Scamp, Floyd, did they happen to mention what their current annual output is?
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 04:25 PM   #44

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
When you talked to Scamp, Floyd, did they happen to mention what their current annual output is?
While factory floor capacity has nearly doubled since the fire, the growth in actual production has been stifled due to reasons which can not be discussed on this forum. (so please let's not)
The orders are still more than the capacity, and the hope is that production will increase with coming changes.
Last year's production was about 445 trailers total.
Old 01-16-2017, 08:53 PM   #45

Name: Marky
Trailer: Casita
Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
Yet even with a postfire increase in capacity at Scamp, the demand for the 13 has actually gone up to just over 70% of production sold to the general market.
I think your comment reinforces my position that fiberglass trailers, which started almost exclusively in the small (generally13ft) market, have now bifurcated in the last couple of decades to what is becoming two separate genres. The line being drawn approximately at the 16ft mark.

It depends on the sales team. If they push the larger models then that's what they sell. Not everyone wants to buy a new tow vehicle or have the money to spend on gas. Most fgrv owners are older, retired and on a budget. If Scamps major sales are the 13ft then you know there's a market. The manufacturer has limited space for building so they chose to maximize their production space to bigger trailers that produce better profits. This can be great for short term but, can come back to haunt them. Talking people out of a 13ft fgrv because of the size and limited cabinet and refrigerator can leave a bad impression. Scamp on the other hand, who's been around the longest sell the customer what they want. When the economy goes bad or the price of gas goes up, which it already is, they're 13ft is already the best selling with the best reputation.
Learning from the auto industry, they were pushing trucks and large SUVs because of maximum profits. When the price of gas went up the big three auto manufacturers in the US were in trouble. Toyota had the number one seller, the Camry! Followed by Honda and Volkswagen.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
MarkyVasquez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 07:01 AM   #46

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkyVasquez View Post
It depends on the sales team. If they push the larger models then that's what they sell. Not everyone wants to buy a new tow vehicle or have the money to spend on gas.
I think that while there are sales teams in various industries that push whatever will sell, most wise manufactures build what will the customers are demanding, not what they wish to sell. As with homes and consumer products, there is a broad market due to a broad spectrum of customers.

Escape dropped the 13, then the 15, due in large to the fact they were a very small percentage of the demand, and to build a 17 does not cost a lot more. They also discovered there in fact was a segment of the FGRV market that wanted more room and amenities in their trailer. I fall into that category. I certainly could make do with a 13, and loved the layout of their 15A (no bath), but we want just a bit more, and are willing to pay the price.

While many people do not wish to buy a new vehicle to match their preferred choice of trailer, this can be a bit backwards, as an FGRV will outlast many tow vehicles, even if bought used. Look at all the great little '70s units out there. How many passenger vehicles have they outlasted?

This is not a lot different than homes in general, where large families used to do with way smaller homes than smaller families now that feel they need more room.

I agree that there will always be a demand for smaller, less expensive trailers. I know both my daughters have 13' trailers, and love them. At this point in life they can't afford a lot more, but as they work and save, and move to retirement themselves, I imagine they too will move up in size.

I think the small 13' trailer will always be in demand, and if that is what folks want or need, they will be able to find it. Just look at the new HC1, which looks to be a fantastic small unit.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 07:55 PM   #47

Name: Marion
Trailer: Shopping
Alabama
13' for sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicham View Post
I called casita trailer today to get info on a new 13ft camper and I was told they will no longer make a 13ft camper. The lady I spoke with said they decided to stop making them about a month ago. She did mention to check back with them later (im guessing in a few months) to see if there is a chance they will ever offer it again.

I had my heart set on a casita 13ft with shower. Anybody have one for sale? I havent had any luck finding one.
Right now there are 2 13' for sale on fiberglassRV4sale
One is a 2015 in Reno, Nv the other is a
2010 in Newport, NC
Marion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 09:12 PM   #48

Name: Sue
Trailer: Casita Patriot '13
Pennsylvania
Glad I jumped and bought my used 13' Patriot!

Reading how hard it is to find the smaller rigs, and that production has stopped, I'm soooo glad I let my impulse loose and grabbed it, especially up here in new england. They're unheard of up here.

I have no regrets. I've made a few diy extras that make little things easier, like loading water up through the bottom, portable gret tank, but they were cheap and easy. The camper is awesome and I wouldn't change a thing. Possibly a tile floor, but really, that's not important.

Wow! Soooooo glad I got her when I did! Sometimes, your heart just knows what's right....
jazzjunkysue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 11:38 PM   #49

Name: Eric
Trailer: 1987 Casita 16
Illinois
I don't see Scamp dripping their 13's since they say often in the sales talk how they are the only ones making them. I think the small ones will always have a place, so many people who want a light tow. That is what we looked at, and now rebuilding a Casita, I will be working at the weight, keeping it down, now that I have it solid.
EricAllyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 02:46 PM   #50

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
Floyd I wonder where they get the help needed out of that small town?

bob
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 02:49 PM   #51

Missouri
I just got our Scamp stevie we moved from an A-Liner to the 13f Scamp the A-Liner had more room but I cannot lift the panels now. I have just about finished doing a very minor remodel and hopefully soon we can go out for a month at a time about all my wife will do. I have found no major issues with her floors are perfect no leaks by the way! Me I would be out there forever!
Old 10-06-2017, 03:12 PM   #52

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
I think that while there are sales teams in various industries that push whatever will sell, most wise manufactures build what will the customers are demanding, not what they wish to sell. As with homes and consumer products, there is a broad market due to a broad spectrum of customers.

Escape dropped the 13, then the 15, due in large to the fact they were a very small percentage of the demand, and to build a 17 does not cost a lot more. They also discovered there in fact was a segment of the FGRV market that wanted more room and amenities in their trailer. I fall into that category. I certainly could make do with a 13, and loved the layout of their 15A (no bath), but we want just a bit more, and are willing to pay the price.

While many people do not wish to buy a new vehicle to match their preferred choice of trailer, this can be a bit backwards, as an FGRV will outlast many tow vehicles, even if bought used. Look at all the great little '70s units out there. How many passenger vehicles have they outlasted?

This is not a lot different than homes in general, where large families used to do with way smaller homes than smaller families now that feel they need more room.

I agree that there will always be a demand for smaller, less expensive trailers. I know both my daughters have 13' trailers, and love them. At this point in life they can't afford a lot more, but as they work and save, and move to retirement themselves, I imagine they too will move up in size.

I think the small 13' trailer will always be in demand, and if that is what folks want or need, they will be able to find it. Just look at the new HC1, which looks to be a fantastic small unit.
I can buy any trailer on the market, I chose the Scamp13D.
After 13 years I would do it again, but I won't have to.
Bigger is not better for me.
The HC1 is cute, well made, and versatile, but really it is a nice utility trailer for 10K more than a loaded Scamp Deluxe.
I love that folding tongue and the hatch! It really fits that surfer/weekender life style. I cheer for them to fill a needed niche in the market.
I was at Thomson this past weekend with a lot of nice large Escapes, it felt like being an egg amongst egg cartons!
Old 10-06-2017, 03:17 PM   #53

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by k0wtz View Post
Floyd I wonder where they get the help needed out of that small town?

bob
Where else are they going to work? The daylight pipeline?
Problem is with so many lakes to fish,how do they find time to go to work!
Old 10-06-2017, 03:19 PM   #54

Name: Karl
Trailer: 16' Casita FD 2002
Washington
i think Casita needs to be looking at how quickly Escape is growing possibly they are taking Market share by offering a 19'
I know Escape makes even their 17' With or Without a bathroom. So I think Casita is at least, looking over its shoulder at Escape and how quickly they are growing with Models that Casita does not offer.
Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 03:32 PM   #55

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker View Post
i think Casita needs to be looking at how quickly Escape is growing possibly they are taking Market share by offering a 19'
I know Escape makes even their 17' With or Without a bathroom. So I think Casita is at least, looking over its shoulder at Escape and how quickly they are growing with Models that Casita does not offer.
Excellent point, but with small volume comes the problem of spreading the cost of research and development over a model's production life.
I worry that Escape may be changing models too often to recoup that cost efficiently.
Old 10-06-2017, 04:12 PM   #56

Name: Karl
Trailer: 16' Casita FD 2002
Washington
I hear they just finished an expansion.. I hope to drive up there in October as we are only 3 hrs away and see it all.
Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 04:44 PM   #57

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
We've owned a 16 ft Scamp and a,17 ft Casita and they have served us well . We would like a slightly larger FG trailer but presently what is available is overly expensive and the quality doesn't match the price or the hype.
If Scamp or Casita would come out with a standard tow behind 19 or 21 ft trailer and maintain their present quality and price point , I for one would be looking at a new trailer.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 08:06 AM   #58

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
I worry that Escape may be changing models too often to recoup that cost efficiently.
I don't think there is much worry of that. When I bought my 19 in 2009, they were producing two trailers a week, and now are doing two per day. In chats over the years with Reace, my opinion is that they are being fairly smart about their growth and not overdoing it by still keeping a longer wait time, rather than trying to pump them out as fast as demand calls for.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker View Post
I hear they just finished an expansion.. I hope to drive up there in October as we are only 3 hrs away and see it all.
It is a great facility now compared to where they were just 10 years ago. The indoor showroom is a great touch.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 08:43 AM   #59

Missouri
growth

I have been in business all my life I know ups and downs in any new venture did a couple myself.

Here are the facts a guy opens a new trailer shop there are only so many sales to be made in that industry. So how does he even get open and stay open its at someone else s expense right?

The new guy knocks off enough sales of the other guys that now no one makes money. The old guys have to look at every aspect of their operation including labor. He can either layoff or convince everyone to work for less money for awhile including him. This results in if this is done grumpy people you cannot really blame them when to top it off the owner shows up with something newly expensive for himself. I have seen this too.

I cant begin to count the times I went through this while managing a grocery store you get though a grand opening start gaining your old customers back and bam another guy starts one. After 3 or 4 of these everyone unhappy working in your store company comes in and says we are abandoning this market! No one can withstand loosing money for long no matter how deep your pockets are!

The fiberglass market is only so big I am quite sure the old owners are scratching their heads and trying to figure out most of all how to make enough to keep their doors open.

Its a crazy world out there! Here is Mo. we have TIf for new owners to steal business from the old owners or in Walmats case from themselves.
Old 10-07-2017, 08:59 AM   #60

Name: Walter
Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
SW Virginia
My understanding is that the RV market overall is growing and probably the FG market is as well. If that's true, then maybe the growth of Escape is not impacting the others as much as might otherwise be the case. Even with the current favorable exchange rate, Escapes are considerably more costly than Casitas or Scamps, so I don't think they are that much impacted anyway. Let's hope there continues to be room for all of the great FG trailer companies around today.

Walt

Tags
casita