So, what's your Scooter of choice? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-23-2006, 08:17 PM   #1
Glo

Trailer: *Love Bugger
A scooter has been on my mind for some time and at Craigslist, a dealer was offering free shipping. I like this little number in red!

http://www.infernoscooters.com/X-360.htm

How do you like this scooter, do you have a scooter?

Anyone else thinking about one of these little gas saving cuties?
Glo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 09:12 PM   #2

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
Thats a pretty sexy little scoot scoot.. but.. 56 lbs?

My back hurts thinking about how to get it stowed.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 01:10 PM   #3

Trailer: Love Bug 1974
Gina, I'd ride it straight away into the camper on a neat plastic ramp!

All this baby needs is the little flag at the back on that 10 foot pole!
Gigi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 04:00 PM   #4

Trailer: Quantum-5 5th Wheel 1980

Click image for larger version

Name:	McSwain_4.jpg9.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	34.7 KB
ID:	3159
A scooter has been on my mind for some time and at Craigslist, a dealer was offering free shipping. I like this little number in red!

Anyone else thinking about one of these little gas saving cuties?[/quote]

HOW ABOUT A 250 cc Honda Helix
Ron Wrighton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 07:05 PM   #5

Trailer: Y2K6 Bigfoot 25 ft (25B25RQ) & Y2K3 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Quote:

Anyone else thinking about one of these little gas saving cuties?
They're cute, but illegal to ride anywhere but private property in many jurisdictions. Investigate the local laws before you invest your hard-earned money. They're not legal for use anywhere (including sidewalks and bike trails) in Iowa except on private property.

Roger
Roger H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 07:24 PM   #6

Trailer: '74 Ventura
Glo,

Since no one else has given you any input (that is experience with electric scooter) - here's my 2¢ .....

I know this is NOT the same thing, but it is close enough IMHO to give a small bit of input - -
I purchased a ZAP for my bicycle about four years ago - this is a electric motor that you add to the rear wheel of your bicycle to "assist" / power - - -

I won't go into details - but the bottom line on the product was that is did just HALF of the claimed range and time - thus it said eight miles (very lucky to get 3 miles) - speed 15 mph,
mebbe 8 mph - and the big disappointment was that it would not go up a major incline (even had a neighbor 12 year old try and it wouldn't get him up the hill) - - - so it sits in my garage (mebbe it's time to clean it up and ebay it ) - - -

Side notes - yes I am a BIG GUY, so I did not expect the max, but I was disappointed with
it. It was worth the learning experience (I did buy it new on eBay on a dealer going out of biz - so I didn't pay the current price) - -

So while the price is "affordable" I would suggest being prepared for HALF of the claims - and "if" that is acceptable to you and your needs, then go for it - otherwise I would suggest, do like Ron suggested and go with a Honda Scooter - we have had an Honda Elite, Honda Reflex, and a Honda Silverwing - all MUCH more money ($183 vs $1849 starting and then UP) BUT well worth every penny in what they will do.

ZAP link:

http://www.zapworld.com/products/dxkit_bike.asp

Honda link:

http://powersports.honda.com/scooters/
ttmatson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2006, 02:39 AM   #7

Trailer: 2000 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
hi glo,

i have an electric bike that looks like a scooter. it is a schwinn and cost about $200. the weight is not so much that i can't lifi it. it is electric and stays plugged in most of the time but i use it every day to go get the mail and to run the dogs so they don't get fat. (it is too late for me to run.)

it doesn't go up hills well but i give it an assist with my feet on the one between the house and the mailbox. it has a top speed of a lot faster than a walk and almost as fast as a cocker spaniel can run. there is no real figure on speed or distance between charges because it all depends on your weight, the terrain and the speed. mine says 12 miles. well, i ain't about to go six miles and hope i can get back home!

try out as many kinds as you can at local dealers. mine came from a place that sells car parts and service. i want to say curly, moe and larry's but it is something like that.

do make sure that it is properly sized for you. i have a permanent reminder of the moment of stupidity that allowed me to ride one i saw my neighbor on. i could see that the tire was flattish and that the handlebars were set too far forward but i got on the thing, set off .....and kissed the pavement. spent the night waiting in the emergency room for someone to fix my lip.

it is fun so get one and enjoy it. and if you are going to use it at a park or campground make sure you can lock it to something if you go in to the showers or store.
potteralice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2006, 06:59 AM   #8

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Between gas and electric? I'd say electric. Didn't read the info, but is the gas 2-cycle? I hate dealing with my gas blower/vac in the fall....getting ready for storage. I would really dislike a toy that took that much effort.

So, really between the two...gas or electric...I vote for neither. Get a good bicycle or even a "Razor-style" folding scooter. Nothing beats getting physical activity and the maintenance issues are far less too
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2006, 09:38 PM   #9

Trailer: 2002 Casita Freedom Deluxe / 2007 Nissan Frontier King Cab
Whatever happened with the ebike? Some outfit that had Lee Iacocca's name attached to it. One guy I worked with found five of them at a big car sale and bought them all for a song. He did quite well selling them off one at a time.
BOBSMITH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2006, 10:21 PM   #10

Trailer: Bigfoot 25 ft / Dodge 3500HD 4X4 Jake Brake
I guess I’m a scooter junky. I have bought two scooters and am looking to buy a third. I was at a point that it was getting hard to get around because of OA of my right ankle.

My first scooter was a Currie 24 volts. it is cute and does a good job on flat land. It does not do slight hills at all. I really enjoyed it. The biggest problem I had with it was it could not carry me up hills and the tires kept going flat.

Name:   currie.gif
Views: 36
Size:  6.5 KB

My next trailer was a Great White, 36 volts. It has power enough to go up hill. Another benefit is it has solid rubber tires, NO flats. It has so much power, it will go over backwards if you “gas” it to hard and are not really ready. I let my kids ride it and it now has a kink in the cable and the battery is dead.

Name:	GreatWhite.jpeg
Views:	34
Size:	15.8 KB
ID:	3223

My next scooter is going to be an offroad Segway. I have lost 62 pounds so far. When I reach 71.5 pounds lost we are getting the Segway. I have seen and ridden one and they are great. They fold up and pack into a small space. The offroad tires can be switched out with the mobility tires. I have checked with our local Police and they fall within the handicap use laws.

Name:	Segway.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	62.6 KB
ID:	3224

I hope this helps.
Mike
Bigfoot Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2006, 10:33 PM   #11

Trailer: Bigfoot 25 ft / Dodge 3500HD 4X4 Jake Brake
I have some additional photos.

Name:	xt_vsm.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	22.4 KB
ID:	3225

and here is the Commuter.

Name:	commuter.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	35.9 KB
ID:	3227
Attached Thumbnails
i180c_vsm.jpg  
Bigfoot Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2006, 10:34 PM   #12

Trailer: Fiber Stream 16 ft 1982
Send a message via Yahoo to Benita
Quote:
Whatever happened with the ebike? Some outfit that had Lee Iacocca's name attached to it. One guy I worked with found five of them at a big car sale and bought them all for a song. He did quite well selling them off one at a time.
I think the ebike company died. I own one and love it. I know that I need to get an extra battery off eBay before they disappear altogether.
Benita is offline   Reply With Quote