So you want to visit the San Juan Islands - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-26-2011, 08:20 PM   #1

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp Deluxe
Registry
Smile So you want to visit the San Juan Islands

I live in the San Juans in Washington State and for the last 11 years have travelled across the western states pulling a travel trailer. For the last 7 years this has been a 2005 13’ Scamp.

The first time I got on a ferry with my new Scamp I was greatly pleased to find that my ferry ticket was much cheaper than it had been with my previous trailers. Here is an example based on present rates:

My current 13’ Scamp (7’3” high with no A/C), pulled by a 2004 Jeep Liberty, and me, a senior. (Length less than 30’, Height less than 7’ – 6”) RT from Anacortes to Lopez Island = $50.90.

My previous 17’ Aljo “stick-built” with A/C pulled by a 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee and me, a Senior. (Length 32’, Height over 7’ – 6”) RT to Lopez Island = $145.25.

Suddenly I liked the 13’ Scamp a whole lot better.

If I were going to another island it would cost more: For instance where my Lopez round trip from Anacortes is $50.90, an Anacortes to Orcas RT for me would be $62.20: and Ana to San Juan Island would be $ 74.95.

A quirk in the fares for traveling to the San Juans is that you pay one round trip fare traveling west but when you turn around and travel east you pay nothing. That means that if you want to visit all of the main three islands you should start with San Juan and then come back first to Orcas and then Lopez. That approach would cost me $74.95. If I were to start with a trip Anacortes to Lopez, then Orcas, then San Juan Island it would cost me $121.40.

Except as otherwise noted, these fares assume my 13’ Scamp and Jeep Liberty and a Senior Driver. (Old farts get a break of $5.75 on the base fare). These are also for “Peak” season, which is May 1 to September 30, 2011.

I went through this exercise to encourage visits to our islands by fiberglass eggs. However, I’m an old guy whose math may need checking. You can get the actual fare schedule by going to:

<http://www.wsdot.wa.gov/ferries/pdf/CurrentFares.pdf>
RonMayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 01:26 PM   #2

Name: Cyndi
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 5th Wheel/2019 Toyota Tundra
Iowa
Registry
I can even watch for you waiting in line on the ferry cam.
Cyndi B. is offline   Reply With Quote