solar porch light - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-18-2017, 05:28 PM   #21

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
a note to the whiners

first of all do any of you whiners have this light? for your information it burns at a very low light my car dash lights are way brighter.

for those who think it would need to be off if you buy one you get a little key to turn it off.

I doubt seriously anyone would complain in a campground about it I have seen many lights going on way way brighter. by the way it never has been a problem to me.

then we must get into campfires going all hours of the night. no doubt some of you are into that! you know even chopping wood all hours of the night.

then we we get into the late night drinking and talking any of you into that?

see the list goes on and on!! Do we really want to whine?

bob
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 06:32 PM   #22

Name: Z
Trailer: Sasquatch
Montana
I don't take part in any of those things, but I agree, they sure are annoying, and you prove our point. I'll bet those late-night fire burners would say the same to you as you say to us. That might cause some self-reflection.

I'll stay out of the name-calling. For my part I apologize, though I stand by what I believe about lights camping. But you ought to be able to post about a porch light and not have it turn into this kind of debate/rant.

Good to hear it has a key to turn it off! It keeps sounding better and better.
ZachO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 09:27 PM   #23

Missouri
name calling

yep its for the best you guys chop your wood I will run my porch light

bob
Old 12-19-2017, 02:42 PM   #24

Trailer: 1990 Scamp 16 ft
I hope the "Let there be light" fans stay in commercial campgrounds and leave the wilder campsites to us folks who like dark skies and dark camps. Its amazing how much you can see if you let your night vision thrive. Look up sometime and see the stars.

There is plenty of light in the city if you are afeared of the dark outdoors.

John

Pic of alpenglow on Half Dome. Lots less fun with artificial light in your eyes.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_6152.jpg  
John Linck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 03:10 PM   #25

Trailer: 1990 Scamp 16 ft
What exactly is the purpose of a self-lighting light? Just because technology makes it possible and the Chinese make it affordable are not good reasons to automate light pollution. See International Dark Sky Association.

I carry a tiny flashlight on my keychain for the rare occasions when I need aide in finding my Scamp's door or lock. I like its' 5 lumen setting.

But my real contempt is reserved for the jackasses who don headlamps to walk thru the campground. They constantly look around and blind everyone in their sight. I suppose headlamps are good tools for changing a tire or such when you need both hands on the task, but really, are they necessary for walking? I am considering buying one of those personal defense, military spec, Hyper V tactical, assault model, Seal team approved, zillion lumen, enemy blinding flashlights to fight back against those idiots. I'd like to light-em-up til they get sunburn.

OTOH, Anyone know where I can purchase a Jedi approved light saber? Amazon doesn't seem to have any good ones.

John
John Linck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 03:54 PM   #26

Montana
I actually use headlamps all the time, and consider them indispensable as part of my gear for camping. Sometimes it's very dark, not everyone has good night vision, and at least for myself, I am regularly doing things with both hands and need light. I do agree that many people rely on light more than they need to. But it's one of those things that can easily get a bad name, as I've been backpacking and camping plenty of times with less aware people who come back to the fire and blind everyone, or you ask them a question while they're rooting through their bag and they look at you and blind you. It actually takes quite a bit of awareness not to blind people with them. But they do have very legitimate uses.

So it annoys me quite a bit, too, but I'm pretty compassionate about it. At least with my friends and acquaintances, a headlamp is fairly necessary and usually used when actively needing light, which is kind of my rule for using lights in any situation, including at home. It gets shined in my eyes when they forget to turn it off, not because they purposely left it on.
Old 12-19-2017, 03:59 PM   #27

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
I have used a head lamp. Mine has a red lens to protect night vision. However my wife likes full blown night vision destroying light. I did enjoy walking around in the woods at night with the red light and seeing red dots.
Old 12-20-2017, 08:35 AM   #28

Missouri
My next step is a arc-light I want light all I can get I am thinking a bank of at least 4 batteries to accomplish this goal so when the fool slams his car door after a night out drinking or whatever I can light it up on him!

bob
Old 12-20-2017, 08:50 AM   #29

Name: Greg
Trailer: 2008 Casita 17' SD
Washington
Registry
This whole thread has become absolutely stupid.
Casita Greg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 09:31 AM   #30

Missouri
right

greg I think you are correct!!

bob
Old 12-20-2017, 11:52 AM   #31

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by k0wtz View Post
yep its for the best you guys chop your wood I will run my porch light

bob
I guess in your mind two wrongs make a right, so it is OK for you to be rude to those around you simply because there are other inconsiderate campers. Yep, be part of the problem rather than the solution.
C&G in FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 12:26 PM   #32

Montana
The hope for self reflection is lost.

I don't blame you for being defensive though, Bob.
Old 12-20-2017, 12:45 PM   #33

Name: Alexander
Trailer: 1979 Boler B1300
New Hampshire
Yikes! I was trying to keep it light with my critter comment. Bob if you took offense to any of my postings I am sorry. Just for the record, I have tented at campgrounds where there were streetlights on all the time in places (one shining right into the tent). As I said I prefer no lights but I can live with them as well. If it bothers me I will affably say something.
Alex Adams is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 01:05 PM   #34

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
If nothing else, it's been an illuminating discussion.
Old 12-20-2017, 01:25 PM   #35

Montana

Illuminating or absolutely stupid...I suppose they aren't mutually exclusive.

I stand with the dark sky association, and I guess I'll leave it at that.
Old 12-20-2017, 01:26 PM   #36

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
On the lighter side of things.... I have one flashlight that is brighter than my truck headlights! It's fun to use.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 02:52 PM   #37

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
I have found that a pellet pistol is very effective in controlling unnecessary artificial light Now if someone would develop a pellet rifle that was effective against those irritating / pesky generators we would have something.
I will admit , we do have a set of solar yardlights that have ridden around for 4 years in our trailer and have never been used .
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 05:11 PM   #38

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
I have found that a pellet pistol is very effective in controlling unnecessary artificial light Now if someone would develop a pellet rifle that was effective against those irritating / pesky generators we would have something.
I will admit , we do have a set of solar yardlights that have ridden around for 4 years in our trailer and have never been used .
It's been said a darkness emitting device if often needed (pellet gun)
Old 12-20-2017, 06:21 PM   #39

Missouri
it has turned stupid

as the man said it has turned into something stupid. these solar lights do not put out that much light when they are in the muted mode they look like really nothing on the trailer when someone goes by they turn on and he would have to be at least 5.5ft tall.

where we go trouting we put up with smoke campfires all night and people tending them all hours. I for one do not or have ever understood this! then we have neighbors up at 4am whacking wood.

I guess we all have to learn to tolerate the other guys ideas of camping!

no offense taken most comments in jest

bob
Old 12-20-2017, 06:37 PM   #40

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by k0wtz View Post
as the man said it has turned into something stupid. these solar lights do not put out that much light when they are in the muted mode they look like really nothing on the trailer when someone goes by they turn on and he would have to be at least 5.5ft tall.

where we go trouting we put up with smoke campfires all night and people tending them all hours. I for one do not or have ever understood this! then we have neighbors up at 4am whacking wood.

I guess we all have to learn to tolerate the other guys ideas of camping!

no offense taken most comments in jest

bob
If it makes you feel better I also am not a fan of smoky campfires , bon fires , chopping wood at 4:00 in the morning , loud music or radios anytime of the day , drunks , screaming children , barking dogs , beer can littered camp sites. etc , etc.
In the spirit of the season , Enjoy you solar light .
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light, porch light, solar