solar porch light - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 12-11-2017, 03:18 PM   #1

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
solar porch light

ok I did a search nothing shows up but I just saw someone post this. I want a solar porch light?

anyone recall it?

thanks

bob
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 03:23 PM   #2

Name: Alexander
Trailer: 1979 Boler B1300
New Hampshire
Bob, lisantica put one on her Scamp. The link was in one of her threads:

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...t-82897-5.html
Alex Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 04:51 PM   #3

Missouri
thanks

yes alex I couldn't recall who posted it. its on order now!!

bob
Old 12-17-2017, 08:08 AM   #4

Missouri
to the lisatania

second full day for the solar light it stayed on all night.

its going to be great!!!!

bob
Old 12-17-2017, 11:04 AM   #5

Trailer: Escape 17 ft Plan B
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by k0wtz View Post
second full day for the solar light it stayed on all night.

its going to be great!!!!

bob
If you are camping next to others, please turn it off around 11:00PM. Some like the dark!
Jon Vermilye is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 01:42 PM   #6

Missouri
solor light

puts out a very subdued light

bob
Old 12-17-2017, 06:21 PM   #7

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by k0wtz View Post
puts out a very subdued light

bob
I would hope the light is quite low if you're going to leave it on all night. My porch light is solar as are all the lights. My house battery is recharged with a solar battery and I see zero need for a solar porch light with rarely get used anyway.
I do have a couple solar lights that end up in the engine compartment when we're in the SW to keep the pack rats out.
Old 12-17-2017, 06:39 PM   #8

Name: Z
Trailer: Sasquatch
Montana
Unless in an RV park, "porch" lights really annoy me when left on, even if they're fairly dim. We're out in the mountains/desert/forest. Artificial light at night is not welcome, except when you actually need to see something. So no off switch is too bad. I'd actually get one of these if it had an easy off switch.
ZachO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 09:35 PM   #9

Missouri
my solor light

my light runs very muted I see almost spotlights at campgrounds they don't annoy me at all.

as I looked tonight I am thinking of adding another. if you walk by it comes on brighter for a short time. I like it!

bob
Old 12-17-2017, 10:58 PM   #10

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Not everyone has day/night shades and people who leave their lights on all night are annoying If you're doing it for security purposes, all you're doing is lighting up all the good stuff around your trailer. A person could stand outside the light path, plot and plan. Then snatch and grab and be back outside the light path in seconds.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 10:58 PM   #11

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZachO View Post
Unless in an RV park, "porch" lights really annoy me when left on, even if they're fairly dim. We're out in the mountains/desert/forest. Artificial light at night is not welcome, except when you actually need to see something. So no off switch is too bad. I'd actually get one of these if it had an easy off switch.

Porch lights left on do tell you a bit about the occupant. I think it indicates they're probably afraid of the dark
Old 12-18-2017, 05:09 AM   #12
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
On a hot summer night the last thing I wish to do is pull down the shades and block the fresh air. Leaving any outside light on all night is similar to running a generator all night or playing your radio too loud. It's just rude. I'm sure the last thing you want to do is keep someone awake all night.
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 06:25 AM   #13

Missouri
yep that's me I leave my coleman on all night too!!

bob
Old 12-18-2017, 06:26 AM   #14

Missouri
no the light has its own battery very nice!! I am getting one more!

bob
Old 12-18-2017, 09:30 AM   #15

Montana
Sorry to pile on you here Bob!

As you can see, people who don't like night light really don't like it. Your choice to put a solar light on your camper isn't really cause for a controversy. But...

Light pollution is actually a true issue, and a health issue. Out in the woods, people shouldn't have to deal with artificial light, beyond that glow on the horizon coming from the nearest town.

I can understand that it doesn't bother you. Clearly it doesn't both plenty of other people either. Personally, when I'm camping, and turn off the lights to sleep and there's some artificial light coming in my windows...I'm pretty annoyed. I like to have windows open, and see the stars as I fall asleep. So it comes down to...it does bother a lot of people. Do you need it on all night for some reason? And how considerate are you. Whether it actually prevents any crime is a discussion I don't think anyone can prove one way or the other (unless someone want to search for research on the topic? )

I have a neighbor a block away with a direct line of site from the front of their house to my bedroom window. They have the brightest porch light I've ever seen! And it stays on all night. Even with my curtains pulled, my bedroom is lit up by it. I need to get thicker curtains.

Just google the effects of blue light on human health. LED lights are especially high in blue light.
Old 12-18-2017, 10:19 AM   #16

New Hampshire
I was thinking Bob needed the light for the four-legged thieves that come around at night! I've had everything on my picnic table thrown about by raccoons even though there wasn't any food. Made a hell of a racket!

I do concur with others that I prefer no outside lights when camping.
Old 12-18-2017, 10:39 AM   #17

Trailer: No Trailer Yet (want 13 ft fiber glass
Registry
We have been in several RV camp grounds that have in their rules that no porch lights are to be on after 10pm. We have a solar porch that operates with the dim function until within a number of feet, then it comes on bright, but it also has an on/off swithch. We never leave it on after we go inside.
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 12:10 PM   #18

Montana
Great! If there's a solar porch light with an on/off switch, it's getting added to my list.

I have a porch light but it's the one thing that has never worked in my camper. An LED bulb in that socket would draw so little current that there would be no point in buying a solar light. But deciding between tracking down a wiring issue or just buying a $20 stick-on light...changes the equation a bit.
Old 12-18-2017, 02:33 PM   #19

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Adams View Post
I was thinking Bob needed the light for the four-legged thieves that come around at night! I've had everything on my picnic table thrown about by raccoons even though there wasn't any food. Made a hell of a racket!

I do concur with others that I prefer no outside lights when camping.
There's a way to prevent raccoons or any other animal from throwing things around. Put everything away at night. There's other animals that National Parks are concerned about and they have steel boxes mounted on concrete for you to put your stuff in, including camp stoves.
We've never had any problems with our 4 legged friends any place we've camped, some small ones came to visit while we were sleeping without the tent while backpacking, but all they did scurry around a bit as soon as I moved a bit they were gone.
The only 4 legged friends that I have any experience that light keeps them at bay are pack rats that like chew wires in the tow. Then lights under on the ground or inside the engine compartment will hold them at bay.
Old 12-18-2017, 03:30 PM   #20

New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
There's a way to prevent raccoons or any other animal from throwing things around. Put everything away at night. There's other animals that National Parks are concerned about and they have steel boxes mounted on concrete for you to put your stuff in, including camp stoves.
I didn't put anything away since I hadn't used anything for cooking, preparing food, etc. They were just double-checking, I think. I did start putting stuff away after that. During this trip you could look into the woods and see the raccoon eyes shining with the firelight and could hear them "talking" to each other.

Tags
light, porch light, solar