Sorry Winnebago - Too many folks buying fgrv's - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-15-2015, 07:18 AM   #1

Trailer: 1990 Scamp 16 ft
Sorry Winnebago - Too many folks buying fgrv's

Sorry Winnebago - Too many folks buying FGRV's
Winnebago Industries Inc (WGO.N) reported a lower-than-expected quarterly profit as cash-conscious customers opted to buy cheaper models from the biggest motorhome maker in the United States.

Winnebago, closely watched because of the view it provides on spending on big-ticket discretionary items, said sales of its top-of-the-range Class A motorhomes fell 34 percent in the fourth quarter. The company's net profit fell 9.4 percent.

Winnebago's Class A diesel-pusher grand tour motorhome, which has an electric fireplace, can cost as much as $429,000. Sales of the company's cheaper Class B and Class C vehicles rose about 13 percent and 45 percent, respectively.
More here

Boy howdy! I could buy a whole fleet of eggs and have money left over if I don't buy that $400k motorhome I had my eye on. Though that fireplace sounds great. I'm feeling another mod coming. Perhaps a large 12 volt flat panel video screen hanging on the bathroom door with a miniaturized fusion powered heater incorporated behind.
John Linck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 07:42 AM   #2

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
But Winnebago's overall sales volume in motorhomes increased in Class B & C, most of which are substantially bigger and all are much more expensive than any of the FGRV's.

The marketplace for uber expensive motorhomes, according to several sales peeps I talked with last week at the California RV Show, is saturated, and huge discounts are being offered to clear inventory. Imagine the $60,000 discount from MSRP posted on a $300K diesel pusher behemoth I saw at the show, that discount alone would buy 4 Scamps.

Again, there were exactly two FGRV's shown among the 100's of RV's on display.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 09:14 AM   #3

Name: Steve
Trailer: Bigfoot 2002
Illinois
Let's not be elitest

Unfortunately it's another sign of a slowing economy which is not good for any of us. it's a big world out there and I'm thankful some of us can afford those big rigs. In the end we all benefit from more RV enthusiasm.
whip2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 09:29 AM   #4

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Let's see, they sold 45% more Class "C"'s, the bread and butter of the RV world.

A lot of "Us" can afford those bigger units, but have also come to our senses about where to throw money away, and where to keep money safe, and $300,000 motorhomes is not a safe place. And keep in mind, none less than Warren Buffet has money in the RV manufacturing business.

Lets not make this a political discussion about the economy.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 09:37 AM   #5

Illinois
agreed no political discussions about the economy, but also no judgements about how other people spend there own money. Different strokes for different folks.
Old 10-15-2015, 11:03 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by whip2001 View Post
agreed no judgements about how other people spend there own money. Different strokes for different folks.
Ah shucks! I could spend a lot of time judging how other folks spend their money; often family members. Then again it's a pretty useless waste of time.

John
Old 10-15-2015, 11:33 AM   #7

Name: Arnold
Trailer: 2015 Casita 17' Spirit Deluxe
California
We picked up our new Casita on Sept. 2. We have about 8000 miles and about 40 nights already in it. Every place we stayed we loved looking at those big beautiful rigs. One thing we noticed EVERY place we stopped, as we sat in our chairs outside our 17' Casita is those big beautiful rig owner were always working on something. They are pretty to look at but I love and will stick with my egg.
Arnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 11:44 AM   #8

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Linck View Post
Ah shucks! I could spend a lot of time judging how other folks spend their money; often family members. Then again it's a pretty useless waste of time.

John
Hi: John Linck... We have the next best thing to a fireplace. TV with a fireplace CD... but we prefer to sit outside and enjoy nature there. The bigger the RV the more folks spend their time inside it.
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Attached Thumbnails
P1030121.jpg  
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 11:44 AM   #9

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2014 16 scamp side dinette/Rav4 V6 Tow pkg.
Pennsylvania
I bought a FGRV because i wanted one, I could have bought anything I wanted but would have trouble using it and storing it and upkeep, so forth. I large MH would take up my whole driveway and hide my house. I looked at a 10 year older MH with 12,000 mi on it for $28,000 34` long. I passed B/C it just was not me. Carl
Carl Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 12:30 PM   #10

Quote:
I bought a FGRV because i wanted one ... I looked at a 10 year older MH with 12,000 mi on it for $28,000 34` long. I passed B/C it just was not me. Carl

We have the next best thing to a fireplace. TV with a fireplace CD... but we prefer to sit outside and enjoy nature there. The bigger the RV the more folks spend their time inside it.
I think most folks in this group would agree with you Alf and Carl. An indoor fireplace while camping is ridiculous. We spend most of the time outside anyway. "Camping" indoors just isn't us.

Nice woodwork you do Carl.

John
Old 10-15-2015, 12:38 PM   #11

Name: Walter
Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
SW Virginia
But Whip is right. Different strokes for different folks. I don't criticize the Huge MH folks, it's just not for me. But at least they are getting out and seeing parts of our fabulously scenic country. Just not as up close and personal as some of us. Better than staying home glued to the boob tube.

Walt
WaltP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 12:57 PM   #12

I think people approach RV's with several different motivations. Some folks like to stay in RV resorts and their tires never turn. Others boondock in remote deserts and mountains. Some pile in the kids and bikes, ATV's, canoes, golf clubs, geocaching gear, etc. YMMV or to each is own.

Currently we chase nature, mostly in National Parks and Forests. Who knows what we will choose next year though National Parks have been prime destinations for 55 years in my case. Thankfully FGRV's seem to fit most styles of rving some of which can even be called camping. Folks up here in the North even use rv's as ice fishing shanties. While that stretches even my broad idea of rving, It's all good.

John
Attached Thumbnails
Screen Shot 2015-10-15 at 2.08.20 PM.jpg   Screen Shot 2015-10-15 at 2.09.00 PM.jpg  

Screen Shot 2015-10-15 at 2.09.37 PM.jpg  
Old 10-15-2015, 01:11 PM   #13

Illinois
Thanks Walt. We love our Bigfoot, many miles all Western and Southern States including Alaska via the Alcan Highway and the Dempster Hiway to the Arctic Circle. In all that time we met some nice folks with big rigs. But, like you Walt it's not for us. It's much cozery in our Bigfoot and after 13 years it's set up just the way we like it. Also we still get plenty of folks admiring our rig. Not something that happens often to the non-FGRVs big or small.
What ever floats your boat.
Old 10-15-2015, 01:23 PM   #14

SW Virginia
Thanks Steve. What size is your Bigfoot, and do you have any of the original manuals?

Not sure I'll be around long enough to do that Northwest stuff, but I'd sure love to. I've had several FG eggs over the past 7 years, and put 5,000-10,000 on them each year. Just a wonderful way to travel and see our country, and far more flexible than the biggies.

Walt
Old 10-15-2015, 01:31 PM   #15

Trailer: Scamp 13
California
Just think 10 years from now when those luxurious motor homes are not so pretty anymore and expenses to maintain out weigh their usefulness, where are they going to go? Some big grave yard or some parked motor court for the less fortunate who cant maintain a standard way of life. I doubt there will be many buyers with 100,000 cash laying around. No home loans or other funding available. Tough to go from 400,000 to 1500 bucks. Or even have to pay to have them scrapped. Boy do I expect allot of insurance claims on these baby's.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 01:38 PM   #16

Illinois
Walt, ours is 24 ft. i have the original '02 manual but it doesn't have too much detail.
i'm not real good on the computer stuff being 72. i'm not sure how i'd copy and send it.
Old 10-15-2015, 01:46 PM   #17

SW Virginia
Thanks Steve. I'd love to have a copy but don't sweat it. Boy, I'm jealous. Wish I'd known about eggs that young.

Walt
Old 10-15-2015, 05:02 PM   #18

Name: Doug
Trailer: Scamp 16 ft.
Missouri
We met a very nice couple while enjoying our Scamp in the Smoky Mtns. We met a couple owning a brand new class A Winnebago, and we were really not impressed with it.
Flyboyscamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 06:05 PM   #19

Name: Adrian
Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA
Manitoba
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alf S. View Post
Hi: John Linck... We have the next best thing to a fireplace. TV with a fireplace CD... but we prefer to sit outside and enjoy nature there. The bigger the RV the more folks spend their time inside it.

Hey Alf the TV with fire looks great only problem is the TV has moved since you took that pic!

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote