Speed traps listed by City or Province - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-31-2010, 02:47 PM   #1

Trailer: 1970 Campster
Speed traps listed by City or Province

This might have been posted before but I thought it worth a look.
Click on whatever State or Province you want and then it will show the cities or towns. Click on which one you want to view.
See if you know any of them.

SPEED TRAPS - NO JOKE...CHECK IT OUT!

I had no idea this was available to everyone.

Do you know the speed traps in your hometown?

Huge List of Speed Traps | The National Speed Trap Exchange
Lisa H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 03:38 PM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Why should I care? I do the posted speed limit. Come to Oregon and speed... we'd love to add your bail/fine to our General Fund that supports our state. Better yet, speed in a construction zone... the bail/fine is twice the amount.

Frankly, speeding is a really lousy way to spend your vacation dollars.

And yeah, I'm sure someone knows someone who knows someone that was caught in a speed trap... some cop hiding behind a billboard in Some Town, USA. So don't flame me.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 03:59 PM   #3

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Donna, sometimes it seems they get even those who do the posted speed limit:
Cuba New Mexico Speed Traps | The National Speed Trap Exchange

Or posted seed limit sign is hidden or hard to see.
Adrian W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 04:11 PM   #4

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I'm not disputing there are conditions that exist such as you describe Adrian. The recourse is to take a picture from the drivers point of view and take it to court.

I literally wrote thousands of dollars worth of fines/bails "back in the day." Probably less than 2% of people admitted they were speeding. There was always a valid "reason" everything from getting to a hospital for a birth (right!) to some hidden sign. And yes, small towns are the worst.... at least on the Oregon coast. But, it's funny in 45+ years of driving I've never gotten a speeding ticket anywhere. And NO, I never asked for a professional courtesy. I believe it's because I'm an attentive driver.

I also make it a policy to not believe 100% of everything I read on the net ;-) It's human nature to not admit guilt and to blame something/someone else for a condition.

YMMV
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 04:19 PM   #5

Trailer: Casita 2000 Spirit Deluxe
I checked out our town and yep, those speed listings are right on. The cops have nothing better to do than to sneak up on a person who happens to go over the speed limit. I have to put my cruise on just going down a local wide street, as the cops love to sit there knowing the speed should be at least 15 miles faster than posted. cha-ching!
If a person is going way over the speed limit I agree they should get a ticket, but I do think some of these posted speed limits are posted low just so the cops can give out tickets.
I try my best to watch the speed limits, but those speed limit signs are not always posted where they should be posted. I have searched for a sign many a times and not found one. Grrrrrrr!
I know a cop that says "we don't give out tickets, people earn them"
I do not like his attitude or the attitude of most cops. It is power and control over the little guy. Give where deserved and only when really deserved, not on posted areas that are there just for the cops benefit. Again "Cha-ching"
ok, I am off my high horse now. Seems different opinions will come out on this one.
Thanks for the posting Lisa, as it is very interesting and informative.
Karalyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 04:45 PM   #6

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
No lists needed for driving in Ontario. They give you fair warning. If you see a sign that says "Community Safety Zone - Fines Doubled" you can be assured it is a good spot for a radar trap. Especially if the speed drops while going down a hill with a bend at the bottom and almost everyone is riding their brakes. You can almost bet there will be someone waiting for those who was not, as Donna says - being an attentive driver.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 05:34 PM   #7

Trailer: 2008 Oliver Legacy Elite
Registry
Lawtey and Waldo in Florida, on the 301 cutoff,(Diagonal from I10 to I75) are so bad, and generate so much revenue, that AAA has put up billboards. These are speedtraps. If you decide to take the cutoff, make certain you watch every sign carefully. It's also nice if your GPS tracks your speed and gives you a warning, as ours does.
SherryNPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 06:56 PM   #8

Trailer: Boler American (#3104)
Registry
Well this could turn out to be an interesting thread!!

Currently this one has 76 posts: http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ium-43215.html
Is that the longest thread? Could this one end up beating it?

Anyway, I'll admit I've had a couple of tickets here in the States. (Funnily enough never got one back in the UK even though I was younger then!)

One thing I learned as a result of one of the classes I did, was: to Know The Speed Limit Of The Road You Are On! So I have to agree with Donna, it's a matter of paying attention (now I have grown older and hopefully a little wiser and also having Slowed Down a bit when driving).

Anyway, for that must have gadget, here it is, finally, in one unit ... Drum Roll ... Da Da ... Passport IQ GPS throws a radar detector into this law evading mix -- Engadget

Could be a good investment for some at $650 depending on the fines on the roads they travel!!!
CliveAlive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 08:08 PM   #9

Trailer: 1970 Campster
Whoa! I had no idea there would be such an emotional response to this post. I merely cut and pasted an email that I received this afternoon to the FGRV forum because I thought travelers would find it useful. Maybe I should have erased the part that said, "Do you know the speed traps in your hometown?" My intention was to provide a resource to those who might unwittingly enter a town that has a known reputation for setting up speed traps to fund their pet projects. We've all heard of places like that. In fact, I support having a police presence near schools and parks where many folks need to learn that disregard for the law can have deadly consequences. I'm constantly amazed by how many cars and trucks squeal through the streets adjacent to the school where I teach. Speed limits, for the most part, are their to protect all of us. . . sometimes from ourselves.

I'm also opposed to radar detection devices which alert would-be speeders where they might get caught and penalized for breaking the law. These devices only encourage and make it easier for people to break the law.

This being said, when I was young I experienced my mom unfairly being cited for speeding and it stuck with me that there are little pockets in our country where the police are out to ticket for revenue's sake.

When I was 14 my mom, my little brother and I drove from California to North Carolina, down to Florida, and back across the country in a '69 Mustang. I was the navigator. After putting my brother on a homeward bound plane in Oklahoma City, my mom and I continued back to Southern California. I always monitored the speed limit signs and her speed. We had no problems with the law until we reentered our home state and was passing through a young town with a new highway that needed to be paid for. I am certain that my mom was not speeding because I kept a close look on the speedometer after witnessing on several occasions in Arizona where the police had pulled over 7 cars at a time in speed traps. Those folks probably were speeding and deserved speeding tickets. I say this only because we were never pulled over and paid close attention to all the posted signs. However, after driving back and forth across our country without incident and getting ticketed for a supposed 2 MPH above the speed limit not 70 miles from our home I got a sour taste in my mouth for Perris, California's CHP. Perris was a barren patch of desert back in those days and I'm certain the officer knew that we were not about to drive back and fight the ticket in court. This was, incidentally, several years before radar guns were in use. As a rule, I have great respect for law enforcement. But tin my opinion, this ticket was not justified.

Now I'm sure there are those among us who would use the link I posted to evade tickets that are well deserved. Perhaps, this makes us all a little less safe if those folks use the website to refine their speeding tactics and make adjustments in areas were they know they will be caught. But there are also those among us who have experienced receiving a speeding ticket which was unfair. It is for those travelers that I posted the link. Make no mistake. . . speeding can have deadly consequences to those in your vehicle and those around you. Be safe and be aware of the posted speed limits. But sometimes it is nice to know a little bit about the local law enforcement when you are traveling in a unfamiliar place. . . especially if they have a new road or highway to pay for. The end.
Lisa H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 09:36 PM   #10

Trailer: Casita 2000 Spirit Deluxe
Well said Lisa.
I only remember getting one speeding ticket. Iwas way out in the boonies, on the way to a campground. I thought sure NO cop would be on that lonely road, and it was getting dark and of course I did not want to set up my tent in the dark.
I came around a curve and there he was. I did really deserve that ticket as I was trying to get there before dark and had my foot on the gas more than I should have.
I still get teased about that ticket at family reunions. I learned that cops can be hiding anywhere and I had better watch that speedometer. Hence, I LOVE my cruise control.
Karalyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 11:22 AM   #11

Trailer: 1970 (Circa) Compact Jr and 1993 Casita
I have gotten 2 tickets in my life. both for speeding-both 10 miles over the limit-the first one I didn`t realize I was speeding-the second one I was trying to get an appointment on time-I didn`t make it!

If you speed-you have to pay the price. The police are doing their job-if they didn`t catch speeders, people would complain also. It`s a no-win situation for them.
Ricky 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 12:45 PM   #12

Trailer: 1996 Casita Freedom Deluxe 17 ft
As a former taxi driver, I used to always try to get to places as fast as possible. And then in my other jobs, I always felt time was money. The sooner I got there, then the sooner I could get to the next place. And I got a few tickets but got really good at learning to play the game. But once i retired, it was like the foot came off the accelerator pedal and I learned to relax. And when I bought my little trailer and started wandering around I got even slower. Most of the highways in Colorado are 65 and the Interstates are 75 but why would I want to pull my Casita that fast? Seems like it would be just putting more strain on the equipment. To me, towing a little trailer is a guaranteed antidote to the lead foot.
Terry G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 12:51 PM   #13

Name: Jesse
Trailer: 1984 Scamp 13'
Maryland
I haven't gotten a speeding ticket for years... I don't remember the last one, but it was in my late teens or early 20s. I have been pulled over a few times since then, though. On one road in particular (where a lot of folks are leaving bars at night and driving home drunk), I have been pulled over about 5 times. Each time, I had my cruise control set at the speed limit. Each time, the cop said they pulled my over for speeding and issued a verbal warning. In other words, they just wanted to see if I had been drinking. Once, I was actually ordered out of my car and had to perform a field sobriety test. That was in a different location where the cop claimed that I had crossed the yellow line. It was about 2am, when bars are letting out... but he didn't know that I had just woken up and was wide awake and alert. I certainly hadn't come close to crossing the yellow line.

Lisa, I think one of the main reasons you are going to get a cold reception with this kind of thread on this forum is that a lot of people here advocate for driving slowly and carefully when pulling a trailer... as they should. I'm sure your intention was not to imply that anyone should speed excessively with a trailer in tow, but that is how some people will take it.
mcbrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 09:02 PM   #14

Name: Cyndi
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 5th Wheel/2019 Toyota Tundra
Iowa
Registry
When my husband was traveling he wanted a Fuzz Buster. Then he bought the "Cop Attracker". Did you notice you could vote if it was a speed trap if you know the area.
Cyndi B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 12:28 AM   #15

Trailer: 1999 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
On US 301 in Florida there were 2 towns that derived 80% of their municipal revenue from traffic fines. I never got caught there, but I knew the place was bad news. AAA used to route members on a 40 mile detour just to avoid the towns of Waldo and Lawtey. I don't know if it as changed or not.
Herb Sutton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 09:47 AM   #16

Trailer:
It seems to me that people often see this in two ways:

a) I am a safe driver (of course, I am - I've just told you I am, haven't I?) and so if I am speeding, it isn't a dangerous activity and so it's always unreasonable victimisation for the police to stop me for speeding.

b) All other drivers (except maybe Steve McQueen, but I guess that's not important now...) are just regular drivers who think they're safe drivers and so stopping them for speeding is a good idea.

I find it interesting to hear of US speeding ticket practice as some of it is so different. Here in Britain, we have lots of radar-triggered speed cameras that can give you a fine. Some can now do automatic number plate recognition so they can work completely without human intervention - which makes it much more economic to fine people for speeding....

Andrew (15 years since the last ticket)
Andrew Gibbens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 11:54 AM   #17

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
I checked out a few of the 'speed traps' listed in my area, and I have driven through quite a few of them. I guess I don't get the definition.
There is one listed where the speed changes from one side of the intersection to the other (from 35mph to 25mph going into residential area with a narrow street), so as you cross over you must slow down. The speed marker is fully visible as you enter the intersection. So I don't get the reasoning that this is a 'speed trap', since anyone crossing the intersection can clearly see the change in speed, and slow down. (unless they're blowing through a yellow at 45mph?) That's not to say that there are not areas that qualify as speed traps, but I don't think that half of the ones I saw listed should be there.
Oh, and I did get a ticket 5 yrs ago under similar circumstances where I was NOT paying attention to the speed signs, and did the very same thing (got a ticket in a 25mph zone when I thought it was still 40mph). So, perfect driver I am not
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 05:00 PM   #18

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Gibbens View Post
It seems to me that people often see this in two ways:

a) I am a safe driver (of course, I am - I've just told you I am, haven't I?) and so if I am speeding, it isn't a dangerous activity and so it's always unreasonable victimisation for the police to stop me for speeding.

b) All other drivers (except maybe Steve McQueen, but I guess that's not important now...) are just regular drivers who think they're safe drivers and so stopping them for speeding is a good idea.

I find it interesting to hear of US speeding ticket practice as some of it is so different. Here in Britain, we have lots of radar-triggered speed cameras that can give you a fine. Some can now do automatic number plate recognition so they can work completely without human intervention - which makes it much more economic to fine people for speeding....

Andrew (15 years since the last ticket)
Hi Andrew,
I agree with your first two statements about how people view being stopped for speeding.
I can tell you though, that here in Scotland, all alleged speed camera offences are reviewed by police officers before prosecution notices are sent out and that much of the revenue raised is ploughed back into road safety schemes and initiatives. That said, it seems that there are differences in operation south of the border where, in many cases, cameras are sited to raise maximum income and speed thresholds (trigger limits) are set lower. Here, there are strict criteria such as accident/injury rates which must be shown before a camera can be erected.
I am not trying to make a political point (Scotland v England) here, just pointing out that cameras can be used for road safety reasons as opposed to simply raising revenue.
Andy
Andy Orr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 06:52 PM   #19

Trailer: 2008 Oliver Legacy Elite
Registry
Cameras are in use here in the U.S., also, and at least in our area, more often for red-light running than speeding.
Speed control use is increasing across the U.S.,however, and many people will not notice the small signs announcing their utilization. (The Cedar Rapids bypass, for example, has one very small sign, but several cameras, last time I approached it from the north.)
I don't think anyone here is advocating speeding, as most of us routinely drive below the speed limit to enjoy the scenery and conserve fuel. I don't think this is what the original poster was endorsing, either. Just a warning to look out, and be aware.
However, some areas are truly traps, and it's good to look out when you choose the "road less traveled."
Especially, if you're leaving an interstate, and may be a bit "velocitized", it's good to take a break, get a sandwich and a cup of coffee, and relax a little before driving thru the small towns on small roads. It' s probably good to be aware and watch for the quickly changing limits ahead, when you've perhaps become accustomed to driving one steady speed on the interstate.
Sherry
SherryNPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 06:53 PM   #20

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Radar and cameras used here as well. The only plus of being caught on camera here is that they don't know who was drivng so the car owner gets the fine but they avoid the points against their drivers licence which you would get if you where caught in person.

We get to pay a big fine for speeding but we also get points put against our drivers licence - the number of points you get depends on the infraction. With points you end up paying a second time - every year on your birthday you get a bill! :-) 4 points will cost you $175, 6 is $300, 13 is $1680 and on and on it goes until you hit the max of 50 points at $24,000. These bills have to be paid in order to keep your drivers licence and have nothing to do with your insurance - thats over and above. Not sure what the system is currently but it use to take 3 years to get rid of 3 points - which is the norm for speeding. So not only can speed kill people it can quickly kill your bank balance as well.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote