Sports figure to be proud of - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-22-2015, 09:27 AM   #1

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
Sports figure to be proud of

I took some flack for my "con" post concerning a recent thread on a young millionaire baseball player who lives a clean, simple life in a van at WalMart. I was not impressed with his life style choice. For a counter point I offer a young man who comes a lot closer to being impressive although he too has just decided to follow his own path, which may or may not mean something to somebody else. Anyway, here is a link:49ers Linebacker Quits After 1 Season, Citing Safety Concerns : The Two-Way : NPR Although this article does not say so I understand this football player will have to pay back some of his bonus, and he knew that in making his decision.
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 11:19 AM   #2

Name: Ron
Trailer: 2015 Oliver Legacy Elite II - Hull #69
South Carolina
Huh?

So he got his big bonus, worked alittle and then quit? Took the money and ran? You think this is what kids should look up to?

You buy that he didn't know all these risks even though he played high school and college ball? It just dawned on him that his brain could get scrambled? So instead of working to improve the lot of all players (which would be admirable), he's just taking the money and running. Yes he might have to give back a bit - I doubt it will be much. But in the end, he took the slot of somebody else who wanted to play, took their opportunity, only to quit after his payday. I say he basically defrauded the league.

I don't get it at all.
2015 Oliver Legacy Elite II - Hull #69
Follow my blog - https://www.wincrasher.blogspot.com
Ron Merritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 11:25 AM   #3

Trailer: 13 ft Boler
Registry
Men and women who play stick and ball games are nothing but meat on a conveyor, used until they are used up, spit out and replaced!!
Get what you can get and get out!! They (owners) could care less!!
IMO
Fred
FRED SMAILES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 12:00 PM   #4

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
People make choices, both of these young men made choices outside those of their main stream peers. Neither person's choice have been made to harm others. Both are following their path, apparently conscious choices.

Their choices are no different than a person who takes off before retirement age in a little fiberglass trailer to explore the country. Plenty of people have told me with their eyes how foolish that choice was.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 01:02 PM   #5

Name: Pat
Trailer: Escape 17B Sold 5/2016
Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
People make choices, both of these young men made choices outside those of their main stream peers. Neither person's choice have been made to harm others. Both are following their path, apparently conscious choices.

Their choices are no different than a person who takes off before retirement age in a little fiberglass trailer to explore the country. Plenty of people have told me with their eyes how foolish that choice was.
Well said.
2012 4Runner Ltd
OneOleMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 01:21 PM   #6

Trailer: Outback (by Trillium) 2004
Registry
I, too, think that both of these young men have the right to choose their own path .....it takes HUGE testicles to buck the trend, go against the mainstream thinking and take charge of their lives their own way. especially in this social media age...
and the idea that football scrambles brains should scare the heck out of ALL players.
theresa p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 06:02 PM   #7

Name: Stan
Trailer: Oliver Legacy Elite II Hull #63
Virginia
And yet we support boxing as a honorable sport, where the object of the contest is to give your opponent a concussion so severe that he is unable to continue.
How does this make any sense?

Stan
Stan and Carol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 10:51 AM   #8

Name: Claire
Trailer: 1978 Trillium 4500
British Columbia
Registry
My daughter is an Athletic Therapist and she gets so frustrated with both parents, players and coaches, who either won't or don't report symptoms of concussion because they want to keep playing. She has had many try to get her to clear someone for play before they are ready. Just an fyi - if you get a concussion, see if you can find a Bowen Therapist in your area with concussion treatment skills. They can make a big difference in how the body responds and heals.
Island Claire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 11:29 AM   #9

Name: alan
Trailer: looking
Colorado
Here is a reminder of what stereotypes both are and aren't:

John Urschel, Ravens Offensive Lineman, Publishes Math Paper: NPR
minke is offline   Reply With Quote