Spring Fever - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-06-2006, 11:07 AM   #1

Trailer: 2005 Scamp 13 ft
I don't hang out here at FGRV.com in the Winter. It only serves as a reminder that I can't (don't) go camping.

But with the weather acting so strangely here in Iowa, I can't help but dream about camping!

I was wandering through the camping section in WalMart the other day, I stopped by to read some posts here on FGRV.com! I was searching the Oregon Scientific website for a weather station to mount in the Scamp as a mod.

Since there really is no snow, perhaps we will have to get the Scamp out of storage and go for a little mid-winter campout...
Jeremy Witt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 02:39 PM   #2

Trailer: 1994 20 ft Bigfoot 5th Wheel / Toyota Tacoma SR5
You can always head our way. Today the weather is a balmy 52 degrees on my back deck, the daffodills are starting to bloom, the Hyacinths are almost through blooming and everywhere I look Spring is in the air.
jrnutpaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 04:03 PM   #3

Thanks...I think.

I was able to visit Portland and Seattle for a couple of days last November. It was a work trip, so not a whole lot of fun.

I really liked Portland and Oregon in general. I could definitely see myself living out there some day...gorgeous.
Old 02-06-2006, 04:41 PM   #4

Trailer: 2000 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Quote:
I don't hang out here at FGRV.com in the Winter. It only serves as a reminder that I can't (don't) go camping.
Don't let the cold temperatures typical of winter stop you from going camping! Use your head; don't venture out if the forcast if for a blizzard and temperatures of -20 degrees! On the other hand, your typical winter weekend (like last weekend) camping and traveling with a travel trailer can be a lot of fun!

Many state parks in Minnesota and Wisconson are open all year, and have campsites that are plowed out. It is best to call ahead and find out what the facilities are like (even if the web site says the park is open for winter camping), but we have "hit the road" during the winter without doing so and not had a lot of problem finding someplace to stay the night. My wife and I have been camping several times during the winter. The only real issue we have is our black water tank fills up, and we have to wait for warmer weather to dump it because the dump valve will freeze. Also, do not depend soley on your furnace and camper's battery to stay warm; take a small electric heater to take care of most of your heating needs.

More winter camping tips can be found from the links at the left side of your screen. Read about some of our winter camping experiences on our web site, URL listed below.

-- Dan Meyer
Dan Meyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 10:49 AM   #5

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
It doesn't generally stop me, unless there is a buncha snow.

I am somewhat miffed that the forest service campgrounds are closed up where I live. The ground is dry (Too dry, as a matter of fact) and it's perfectly clear. Even when it's cold.. who cares?

I understand the staffing issues, and wanting to shut the water off in parks etc, but the space just sits there.. unused.

The forest service is using conncesionaires to run the parks, and the profit for them must be in the negatives in the winter, so I kind of understand. But I do not understand the closing of roads to dispersed sites.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 05:43 PM   #6

Trailer: 2007 17.5 ft Bigfoot (25B17.5G)
Registry
Quote:
Thanks...I think.

I was able to visit Portland and Seattle for a couple of days last November. It was a work trip, so not a whole lot of fun.

I really liked Portland and Oregon in general. I could definitely see myself living out there some day...gorgeous.

Jeremy,

It has just rained 45 out of the last 50 days. Still think you could live here?
Ron N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 07:12 PM   #7

Trailer: Casita 2000 Spirit Deluxe
Jeremy, I too have spring fever. These people that live where they can camp all year long have got it so nice. There is NO WAY I am going camping when there is snow on the ground. I hate even going out of the house to the car. Burrrrrr! Three months of camping is about all that we have here, and we have to squeese that in between the summer chores like garden, grass mowing, etc. Just not enough time in the north to enjoy these little campers. You people in Oregon can go camping, but sounds like you are almost ready to build an ark instead. I would'nt go camping in the rain either. I need nice warm sunshine.
Looking forward to summer.

Karalyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 09:40 PM   #8

Trailer: Bonair Oxygen 2002
SPRING FEVER??? That was last week and you could have enjoyed camping. Not now. Winter came back, and it's been a little nasty north and east of here. The hydro has been off for 20,000 homes since sat. but is supposed to be back by tonight for everybody. burrrrrrrr
I'll wait a little longer. I'm with Karalyn. In snow I'd rather hit a hotel a thousand miles south.
jean
norman and jean mulloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 09:49 AM   #9

Quote:
Jeremy,

It has just rained 45 out of the last 50 days. Still think you could live here?

Well, I don't think it would be the rain that bothers me, but the lack of sun. It can get pretty gray here in Iowa for long periods of time during the winter.

I was amazed with Portland when I was out there in November. The grass was emerald green, but the trees were losing their leaves.

I honestly think I could put up with the gray and rain if I could be near those beautiful mountains and gawk at the amazing evergreen trees.

The sun shines during the summer...right?
Old 02-08-2006, 10:00 AM   #10

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
Jeremy, this year is unusual even by Oregon standards. I never saw so much rain in my life as I did in December this year, and i grew up there!

Yes, the summers are spectacular!
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 12:21 PM   #11

Trailer: 17 ft 1991 Bigfoot
Talking

Jeremy,

I am having spring fever also! We are spending it planning camping trips for next summer. We are plnning a long one up on the Gunflint Trail with lots of canoeing! I am even working on a screen porch for my Bigfoot. Anything to think camping now that winter is back.

I agree that Portland is really green in the winter. We lived there for 18 years and I really miss my small cattle ranch (with my small Dexter cattle). But it can really rain (and rain and rain) in the winter. Thats how everything stays so green.

- Joe

PS - I miss your corn bread!
Joe Mielke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 03:39 PM   #12

Trailer: 17 ft 1986 Burro
I too am having painful spring fever camping pangs.
I think it is against the board rules to post beautiful picture of southern camping spots during Dec,Jan,Feb and MArch isn't it?? Moderators???
Especially when I have not built up enough vacation time yet........

Gina, That space is NOT going to waste, it is resting from you're last visit.

2+ more months and maybe I can go..
pjanits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 06:58 PM   #13

Trailer: Y2K6 Bigfoot 25 ft (25B25RQ) & Y2K3 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Jeremy, just remember that the weather here keeps out the riff-raff. AND we only have bugs to contend with a few months out of the year!

Roger
Roger H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 09:14 PM   #14

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Quote:
I too am having painful spring fever camping pangs.
I think it is against the board rules to post beautiful picture of southern camping spots during Dec,Jan,Feb and MArch isn't it?? Moderators???
Well, don't look at "Gotta Get Out of the City", OK?
Old 02-08-2006, 10:06 PM   #15

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Not waiting for Spring, leaving Monday for the same place as last year The Southern Oregon Coast

Name:   Sunset__Or._Coast_1.jpg
Views: 23
Size:  48.4 KB

Name:   DSC00418__1.jpg
Views: 47
Size:  120.6 KB
Jay Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 10:34 PM   #16

Trailer: 72 Boler
Spring fever mmmmmmm I know jsut what you all need!!
Some of my Grand Mother's sulfer and molases
It will fix you right up and put a shine on your face

Jeremy if you really want some weather station stuff
try SISC
When I was teaching I got most of my science stuff from them.
They will do a mail order!!

Lew
Lew King is offline   Reply With Quote