Start kids camping young.... - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-24-2019, 12:08 PM   #1

Name: Dale
Trailer: 2010 EggCamper; 2002 Highlander 3.0L; 2017 Escape 21'; 2016 F-150 5.0L Fx4
Colorado
Start kids camping young....

They start kids camping young, here in the South! Actually, it's an outdoor art exhibit, but forum members might want to share how they accommodate little ones while camping or share "we can laugh about it now" camping-with-kids failures.
Attached Thumbnails
Camper Stroller.jpg  
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 03:37 PM   #2

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Eagle View Post
They start kids camping young, here in the South! Actually, it's an outdoor art exhibit, but forum members might want to share how they accommodate little ones while camping or share "we can laugh about it now" camping-with-kids failures.
Our 4 girls all started camping within the first year of their lives. The youngest started backpacking when she was just 4 years old. They all still tent camp except one that just bought a sticky. The youngest is 43.
Old 09-24-2019, 03:41 PM   #3

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Last summer we took our granddaughter and her 1 year old daughter camping.
Old 09-25-2019, 03:43 PM   #4

Name: Walter
Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
SW Virginia
Hah. My daughter's first camping trip was 2 months before we got to give her the first kiss.

Walt
Old 09-25-2019, 05:55 PM   #5

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
I took my son on camping trips before he was even out of the womb
He went camping all of his years. Recently spent 2 years full time in an airstream traveling around the country. Not a bad way to spend his midlife crisis.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 12:00 AM   #6

Name: John
Trailer: Roamer 1
Smith Valley, Nevada
When I was a little kid, we went camping every year at San Clemente Beach State Park, for about two weeks at a time. I can clearly remember hot dogs cooked on the beach with a one burner Coleman stove, the hot sand against my bare feet, running on the beach, and the cold Pacific Ocean. We watched the sand crabs, dug in the sand, collected shells, and played in the waves.

It progressed to camping in Death Valley and hiking to old mines, or spending time in the Redwoods. Then to dirt bike trips in Mojave, where we'd ride till we were half way out of gas and then head back, to go again.

Lots of fond memories of finding a lost cabin, exploring mining towns, being lost in a flash flood, camping with my coyote in Death Valley, visiting incredible hot springs, exploring an aircraft target range on my bike, and hiking the desert canyons near Keeler, where orchids are growing in the desert, fed by dripping water. Then the mystery of an abandoned railroad station near Amboy, and finding a letter talking about setting up that very station, so many years before.

Camping is a wonderful way of life for a kid and I'm glad I was exposed to it. Now, I go in a trailer and spend time in the open spaces, in comfort. It opens the door to higher elevations, longer seasons, colder weather, deliberately going to where the flash floods will occur, and staying out longer.
Old 11-27-2019, 09:36 PM   #7

Name: Doug
Trailer: Escape
California
Registry
I was told I first went camping at 6 MO, that would have been 1953. Not sure the first time I took my kids camping but we tent camped in the snow in Yosemite when they were about 4 & 8 YO. They still love camping 30 years later. I wish every child has the opportunity to go camping.
DougOlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 08:32 AM   #8

Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape
Michigan
Our son was one month old. He was a better camper than grandma.
rgrugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 09:01 AM   #9

Trailer: Outback (by Trillium) 2004
Registry
Had our eldest son out camping at 3 weeks of age. An old tent trailer, the kind with a zippered canvas door, allowed us to lift the baby buggy right up inside without disturbing his sleep. Nursing allowed for limitless adventures, no worries about making bottles etc.

The other 2 followed along and they all enjoy camping to this day. Now it's their kids enjoying the great outdoors.

Camping is such a wonderful way to break that screen-time dependency so many people have these days. Get out, leave the devices behind and commune with nature.

We have only generator power at our recreational lot, sparse cell phone service and love it! A 100foot walk out to the road allows a few bars of cell service if needed. And we hear all of the time how refreshing it is to have been able to "unplug".

Kids these days need camping. I truly believe that. They need to be able to see the natural world in all of its glory....instead of knowing about it solely thru the eyes of a video camera on you-tube or on some game.
theresa p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 09:03 AM   #10

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
My parents used to talk about my brother being born in a pop up trailer made dad built out of an old furnace ( he used the sheet metal to cover plywood ).... that was in the Adirondack MSN’s... so I guess he started really early...maybe too early as he doesn’t camp anymore lol
alan H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 12:05 PM   #11

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Start kids camping young....

I camped with my family since I was about a year old. First tents, then a pop-up.

After an abortive tent camping outing with our first daughter at about the same age (night dropped to around 34*F), we didn’t try again until they were 6 and 9. Missed a lot of good years. Wish we had discovered the Scamp trailer sooner. It made all the difference for my wife, who did not grow up camping.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 01:57 PM   #12

Name: Karin & Don
Trailer: 2012 Scamp 13Ft
Maine
My first camping trip was also at 4 months old to Yosemite in 1950. My parents had an old canvas army pup tent. They fastened the front rope to the raised trunk lid and my twin brother and I slept in the trunk. My parents had the tent and my 2 yr. old and 4 year old sisters slept on the car seats. we camped every year after that (advanced to umbrella tent, pup tent and the back of a station wagon) last big trip S.F to Montreal Worlds fair, down through D.C. NY, and back to S.F. 3 months trip. I started my own kids early too. Karen
Kardon is offline   Reply With Quote